PDA

View Full Version : Episode II Title Announced!!!

Jedieb
Aug 6th, 2001, 01:40:14 PM
It's either the work of a hacker or the real deal!

Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Possible Opening Crawl
S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

Ten years after the events of The Phantom Menace, not only has the galaxy undergone significant change, but so have our familiar heroes Obi-Wan Kenobi Padmé Amidala and Anakin Skywalker as they are thrown together again for the first time since the Trade Federation invasion of Naboo. Anakin has grown into the accomplished Jedi apprentice of Obi-Wan, who himself has transitioned from student to teacher. The two Jedi are assigned to protect Padmé whose life is threatened by a faction of political separatists. As relationships form and powerful forces collide, these heroes face choices that will impact not only their own fates, but the destiny of the Republic.

This could be the opening crawl or just the official site's descritive paragraph. They had a graphic of the crawl and this is the paragraph that was featured. I like it, what do you guys think?

Darth23
Aug 6th, 2001, 01:47:08 PM
I don't know, but the title sounds cheesy. :p

Why not just use Send in the Clones? :p :p :P

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 6th, 2001, 01:48:13 PM
Its really different from what I expected but I thought the same way about TPM. I kind of reminds me of something from the old flash gordon serials. Some people might think its cheesy but really the Empire Strikes Back is cheesy. Right now I think I like it.

Jedieb
Aug 6th, 2001, 01:51:38 PM
My first impulse was, huh? I kept thinking EPII: The Clone Wars would have been a better choice. Maybe GL felt the word "Wars" would have been a bit too repetitive. I do think that the title conveys more action than TPM. Now I wonder, what are the chances that we may see a Maul clone somewhere? (A long shot, but a probability.)

Darth23
Aug 6th, 2001, 01:51:59 PM
AOTC?

AOC?

Jedieb
Aug 6th, 2001, 01:57:49 PM
I think we'll probably end up using AOC, the same way we use ESB. Actually we don't use ROJ do we? AOC or AOTC, decisions, decisions... AOTC sounds like some kind of consumer protection agency.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 6th, 2001, 01:58:07 PM
I'd say AOTC like ROTJ but that would be a guess. I think it does convey more action it also makes you wonder what kind of role the clones play in the movie and whose side they are on good or bad.

Jedieb
Aug 6th, 2001, 02:01:22 PM
They've got to be bad guys!!! If they were good guys, then how could the Jedi possibly get wiped out with clones on their side? I can picture a scenario with thousands of clones overwhelming the Jedi. Oh the battles, the battles we are going to see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 6th, 2001, 02:24:20 PM
I think the battles will be amazing too, its hard to say right now for those who are not spoiled how the clones will be used in the movie. I know a little bit but I would rather not say it unless you guys really want to know. Its the only really big spoiler that I think I know so far.

ReaperFett
Aug 6th, 2001, 02:38:29 PM
It sounds like some awful B-Movie!

Jedieb
Aug 6th, 2001, 02:42:31 PM
I was just over at TFN's forums. Damn they're busy! I went to the spoiler EP2 forum, a big mistake, but I digress. Reaction there seems to be mixed. A lot of posters said they were intially put off, but that the title is growing on them. And then there's the typical obnoxious fanatic. "You don't like the title?! You're a whining fanboy!" These guys crack me up. They're the first to shout "fanboy" without realizing that's what the typical casual or non-fan would label them as.

Many compared the title to ESB.

The Empire Strikes Back
Attack of the Clones

If you look at them side by side, they both have that B-Movie feel to them. I just can't get past the notion that some people are going to be mocking this title. "Send in the Clowns, Attack of the Clowns, etc." I called my wife and told her what the title was and she responded with; "That sounds kind of cheesy." I think that's going to be a popular resonse for many.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 6th, 2001, 02:46:23 PM
I went over there too thats how I was spoiled about the clones. I still like the title is like TESB which a lot of people say they thought it was cheesy when they first heard it. Now when do we get the trailer.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 6th, 2001, 02:50:15 PM
Yeah, I thought the same thing. The critics called TPM "the Phantom Movie". I wonder how they're going to mangle this title.

Dutchy
Aug 6th, 2001, 03:08:27 PM
A Tack of the Clowns :)

Jedieb
Aug 6th, 2001, 03:12:42 PM
Let the mocking begin...

It's funny how an initial reaction can be. While I don't remember any negative reaction to the ESB's title there probably was some. If you look at it objectively it does look like an old fashioned cheesy B-Movie title, but so does ESB and ROTJ. It's going to grow us. But there's no denying that this title is going to be mocked early and often.

General Ceel
Aug 6th, 2001, 03:21:21 PM
"It harkens back to the sense of pure fun, imagination and excitement that characterized the classic movie serials and pulp space fantasy adventures that inspired the Star Wars saga." -SW.COM

I agree with what the official site says. And if you think about it that way its not a bad title at all.

JonathanLB
Aug 6th, 2001, 03:26:34 PM
Holy @#%$, that's a huge announcement! I didn't expect it this early, so I thought your thread was BS! I checked StarWars.com, though...

TIGHT, it has a name...even if it is weird.

This is funny. Now I feel retarded. I kind of made fun of people for dissing the title "The Phantom Menace," because I always liked it, thought it was pretty sweet, but now I'm kind of mixed about this new title. I'm not going to say anything bad, though, because I am sure I'll get used to the title like anything else. It is kinda cool, actually, interesting.

I just have to say it a few hundred times to make sure I'm used to it, but yeah...weird/cool!

DaBoSsNaStY
Aug 6th, 2001, 04:23:49 PM
I hope they don't end up with that title, and hope GL will change it... like he did for Revenge of the Jedi, and rename it Return of the Jedi.

I happen to like all the titles to the SW movies, and found them very thought provoking..but Attack of the Clones... the only thought going though my mind is WTF!!! lol!!

I just hope that this is a very bad joke, or that sombody did indeed hacked into their site...

Dutchy
Aug 6th, 2001, 04:40:22 PM
I just have to say it a few hundred times to make sure 'm used to it

I guess that's the number of times you're planning to SEE the movie as well, right? ;)

Darth23
Aug 6th, 2001, 06:36:24 PM
[ nevermind]

:p
-------

My biggest problem is that I keep hering that Dexter's Lab line:

"Where are the clones? Send in the Clones!"

--------

Is it too early ro write a parody of the song Send in the Clowns?

:)

Force Master Hunter
Aug 6th, 2001, 06:57:14 PM
Oh geez, I HOPE that's not the title.

Jedieb
Aug 6th, 2001, 06:58:14 PM
Don't give me any ideas! All I need is to track a copy of the original lyrics and I'm in business! ;)

Darth23
Aug 6th, 2001, 06:58:58 PM
What if it is?

Maybe Lucas is reminded everyone about the roots of the Star Wars saga. The old serials and pulp fiction magazines.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 6th, 2001, 07:37:10 PM
I agree with you Darth, I think that is exactly what Lucas is doing. And to be honest I like the title it has the same feel as TESB which sounds (if you never seen the film) like a cheesy movie.

Force Master Hunter
Aug 6th, 2001, 08:34:14 PM
Well..... just got the email from Starwars.com and it looks VERY real to me.

Jedieb
Aug 6th, 2001, 09:17:26 PM
Some people weren't all that pumped up about TPM's title at first either. I even remember having that same, "He might change it.." thought. But I eventually accepted it and I think everyone will have to do the same with AOTC. I think the chances of the title being changed are so remote they're not even worth mentioning. I know people will bring up Jedi, but that was a completely differently situation. As it stands now, Lucas has stated that the Revenge title was a marketing mistake, and not really his idea. This is the title we're getting.

Force Master Hunter
Aug 6th, 2001, 09:21:21 PM
Now I'm thinking about it.... it does sound very ESB to me.

Hmmmm.

Could grow further on me

Jedieb
Aug 6th, 2001, 10:20:02 PM
Early reaction has been pretty harsh. With over 5,000 people voting in TFN's poll around 64% have a negative opinion of the title. Only 30% had a favorable opinion. A small percentage, 6%, had no opinion. The largest vote getter was "Hate It" with 34%, and the smallest outside of no opinion was "Love It", with just under 10%. If you take away Star Wars and Episode II it does sound like the title of a bad 50's sci-fi B-movie.

Has anybody heard the title reported in the news? I'm surprised Fox stations haven't begun airing this little tid bit.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 6th, 2001, 10:48:13 PM
I think it going to take some time. These days it seems, anything new Star Wars is harshly critisized, alot like too many people thought they could have done a better job of writing TPM. 6 months from now, after the trailer, we'll see a different opinion of the title.

CMJ
Aug 6th, 2001, 11:17:09 PM
I must admit I'm not big on the title...BUT I didn't care for TPM at first either.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 6th, 2001, 11:41:29 PM
It was reported on Fox news, they didn't say much just reported that it was Attack of the clones. They said nothing on ET, not surprising they are just a gossip show anyways. I'm going to watch Access Hollywood later, I'm sure they will mention it, they love Star Wars it seems.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 7th, 2001, 01:29:21 AM
Nothing on Access Hollywood, they must tape these shows really early or something. So, now that we got a title how many think the trailer will be on the TPM DVD either as a part of the DVD or as DVD rom link to the official site where the trailer will be released on Oct 16. I figure that it will because we got the title a month earlier this time I think we will get the trailer a month eariler.

ReaperFett
Aug 7th, 2001, 02:30:53 AM
Ive realised I actually dont care that much, as I want a good film, not title. I think this one misses the mystery of the other ones

JonathanLB
Aug 7th, 2001, 02:54:10 AM
What's interesting is most fans, even here apparently, don't seem to "get it" as far as "Revenge of the Jedi," so let me explain this for people who still haven't heard this or just never paid attention.

REVENGE of the Jedi was NEVER the title of the movie!!! I thought every fan knew this.

Lucasfilm ALWAYS intended the title to be "Return of the Jedi" and Lucas even said, as have other reps, that "Revenge of the Jedi" was simply created to throw off potential bootleggers, but Fox didn't realize that Lucasfilm had planned to do that, so they printed posters with "Revenge of the Jedi" instead, which was just a miscommunication between the two studios. That happens very commonly, and the title of Return of the Jedi never changed. It was always Return; only some people in the public and Fox thought it was going to be Revenge.

Because StarWars.com, a LUCASFILM owned site, posted the title, it most definitely is the final title unless some huge amount of fan backlash makes him change his mind, which I doubt because he's a very sure guy (I would be too if I had $2 billion and was that successful).

I say get used to it already. I think I'd have prefered simply "The Clone Wars," but obviously Lucas prefers "Attack of the Clones." Other movies beginning with "Attack of the..." really suck, but this will untarnish the name and bring respectability back to "Attack of the..." as a prefix ;)

Ok I was more or less just joking in that above paragraph, but honestly I was just like most every fan when I first heard this title. I thought it was a freakin' joke. In about 1/2 a day, I already like it better. I think we're all more concerned about the MOVIE itself than the title, aren't we? I mean come on...

Anyway, everyone will see the newest Star Wars movie, it doesn't matter what the frickin' title is, even if it was "Two Hours of Lucas's Hairy Butt."

Dutchy, actually, that was pretty funny! :) Nah, not a few hundred times. Probably 75 if I can do that...

Jedieb
Aug 7th, 2001, 11:43:02 AM
REVENGE of the Jedi was NEVER the title of the movie!!! I thought every fan knew this.
Hey, I knew!

As it stands now, Lucas has stated that the Revenge title was a marketing mistake, and not really his idea. This is the title we're getting.

That's just one of those popular myths about SW that for one reason or another that's always persisted about SW. Others include fans SWEARNG they got a rocket firing Boba Fett, or they had SW toys the year the movie came out, etc. You could actually read articles about ROTJ in which the writer would mention the title change and Lucas' desire to change the title because 'Revenge' really didn't suit a Jedi. That story just got passed around for years. Even today I can only recall one source in which Lucas has stated the real reason the Revenge poster and badges were released and that was in the annotated screenplays I believe. It's just one of those myths that's hard to debunk. I've seen a couple of people at TFN's threads that mention the ROTJ name change as hope. Oh, well.

Anybody wonder what the reaction was when Lucas told the crew the title?

ReaperFett
Aug 7th, 2001, 12:06:03 PM
"Two Hours of Lucas's Hairy Butt."

Sounds better than the Holiday Special :)

Darth23
Aug 7th, 2001, 12:09:40 PM
I wonder if turning up the cheese factor will make the critics and the too-serious fans lighten up a little.

Probably not.

:p

YadsLH 2
Aug 7th, 2001, 12:48:03 PM
Two reasons I love this title:

1) GL has (AGAIN) got the fanboys foaming at the mouth. Always good to see. :p Although how anybody who went through all this title fuss 3 years ago can get so worked up again is baffling to me...

2) It's a very clever trick title, a bit like TPM only x10. The unsuspecting public will walk into the theatre after hearing the title expecting something and will be totally tripped up by it. :)

ReaperFett
Aug 7th, 2001, 12:50:54 PM
so what youre saying is its a good title because itll make people think itll be rubbish? Somehow, I doubt that

YadsLH 2
Aug 7th, 2001, 12:58:15 PM
Nope, that's not what I'm saying at all. :)

Jedieb
Aug 7th, 2001, 02:13:31 PM
It's been my experiance that people who use the term "fanboy" are actually describing themselves. ;)

I've been in a few AOTC threads and I've seen this more than once:

EP1: The Phantom Menace
EP2: Attack of the Clones
EP3:
EP4: A New Hope
EP5: The Empire Strikes Back
EP6: Return of the Jedi

Posters have done this to illustrate how all of the titles have a similiar pulp sci-fi ring to them. How ESB and AOTC kind of parallel each other. What I've always come away with from that list is the fact that there's only 1 blank left. Almost everything has been filled in. It's made me a bit meloncholy to see just how close we are to the end. From this point on GL and crew will begin working on aspects of SW for the LAST time. Everytime you here EP3 script this, or EP3 casting that it's an aspect of SW filmmaking that we're seeing for the LAST time. Kind of sad isn't it? :(

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 7th, 2001, 02:16:25 PM
I know what he is saying lets say its spoiler material and I am not going to say anymore. theforce.net has some newspapers articles about from USA Today and the Detriot Free Press. Neither article is negative although they do mention how the fans hate it. Also Ewan Mcgregor has given his input on the title, he calls it terrible, but hey he is just an actor I doubt he could come up with a title if he tried :P I decided to look up how many movies started with the word attack, and its a little less than a dozen. Unfortunetly most of them stink, but there were two WW II movies on there one called Attack of Britain, and an asian film that I have no clue what it is about. Still really is this any cornier than titles like Gone with the Wind or Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom just to name a few.

JonathanLB
Aug 7th, 2001, 03:50:26 PM
The E! Online article was not negative either, I didn't think, it just mentioned fan reaction on both sides, so it was fairly objective (for once! Go E!).

Jedieb, what is a myth? The people thinking the title actually was Revenge of the Jedi, or what I said? Because what I said is what I've heard many times, that the title was simply changed because Fox had misprinted the initial posters with a title Lucas never intended to be the movie's final title. I've read that from him (though as I read so many articles I have no idea where)...

The title will/has grown on most people, and anyway, as said just a few posts up, the quality of the movie is what truly matters, not the title of it.

ReaperFett
Aug 7th, 2001, 04:29:57 PM
Apparently old Ewan doesnt like the title either

Doc Milo
Aug 7th, 2001, 04:30:17 PM
Put in that list you posted Jedieb, it does kind of fit. Yes, cheesy, but all of them are to one degree or another. I'm going to reserve judgement until I see the context. Out of context, all of the titles are pretty cheesy.

The myth about "Revenge" as I've seen it is that people thought Lucas changed the title because "Revenge wasn't Jedi-like." What you posted, Jon, is the truth, I believe, about the "Revenge" title. At least, on the Behind the Magic CDROM (I think in the trivia section) it states that Revenge was a false title to make it easier to spot pirated merchandise, just like you said...

Darth23
Aug 7th, 2001, 05:00:28 PM
Apparently old Ewan doesnt like the title either

Ewan doesn't like much of anything. He was complaining last week about big budget summer blockbusters. :p

Jedieb
Aug 7th, 2001, 05:57:37 PM
No, you and Doc are right Jon. The myth I was referring to is the "George changed the title because the Jedi don't seek revenge." It's such a prevalent myth that writers have stated it as fact in articles about ROTJ. You watch, someone is going to write something for an entertainment magazine or an online site about fan reaction to the new title. At some point in the article they'll bring up the old GL changed the title story as fact. They'll have NO CLUE that it was a merchandising screw up.

On a side note, that merchandising screw up is one of my favorite collectibles. My Revenge poster is the crown jewel of my collection! :)

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 7th, 2001, 07:33:28 PM
I looked again on IMBD and I found an odd coinicidnce with a similar title. Back in 1978 Battlestar Glattica was released as a two hour movie on NBC its original title was Attack of the Cylons. Now that is weird.

JonathanLB
Aug 7th, 2001, 08:02:24 PM
Ok Jedieb, that's what I thought. Yeah I knew that you knew about that myth, but I already read fans saying, "Well look GL changed the title to ROTJ, so maybe he'll do it again!"

I think this forum (and probably CC.net, though I've not been there for a while) have the most reasonable fans, whereas many of the fans on TFN are just really disagreeable! The fans around here are also generally more knowledgable, but that's another issue too.

I wish I had a REAL Revenge of the Jedi poster, but all of the fake ones have kind of turned me off to the collectible. I don't understand how I would know if it is the real deal or a great replica of it...?

Jedieb
Aug 7th, 2001, 08:51:34 PM
Well here is some info on the Revenge poster. The poster was originally sold through the fan club. Some were even sent to theaters. Many of these posters were folded. If you stumble across a folded one then odds are you've probably got an original piece. There's both a dated and non-dated version. The dated version (as you probably know by heart "Coming May 25, 1983 to your galaxy!") is the more common version and the one that's been bootlegged the most often. If you see a rolled version of this poster then buyer beware. The fake ones have color problems and the 20th century logo is a bit blurry. Mine was a gift from my wife and it was purchased sealed and on cardboard backing. But to be honest, there's a solid chance that it's one of the bootleg copies. However, I have such a strong emotional attachment to it that I don't care if it is a fake one or not. (While my wife and I were dating in college back in the early 90's she shelled out $250 for it for my 21st B-Day and completely surprised me! I'm keeping it no matter what!)

You have to trust the person you're buying from. How long have they been in business? Do they have references? etc.. By coincidence, the latest issue of the Insider with Mace Windu and his purple saber has a Revenge of the Jedi poster question in Steve Sansweet's Scouting The Galaxy column. That's a great place to start researching the Revenge poster. I hope this helps. This is a really great piece to a SW collection. If you can find an original you'll love it! You should the looks you'll get from casual and die hard fans whenever they notice the title is mispelled. Once they realize they're looking at something that both unique and obviously rare they often just stand there with their mouths wide open, it's priceless!

Darth23
Aug 8th, 2001, 12:15:04 AM
This is weird. I came across this link while I was looking for info on old cliffhanger serials today:

www.swposterarchive.com (http://www.swposterarchive.com)

They seem to know a lot about every poster. I remember reading today that a lot of Revenge posters were bootlegs of the origial folded ones, and that the bootleggers tend to fold the copies to try to hide the fold crease marks that actually are actually printed on the posters.

Jon,

There's some good info you might want.

JonathanLB
Aug 8th, 2001, 04:28:25 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate it.

My favorite collectibles are lithographs, prop replicas, and posters. I have WAY too many posters and way too little wallspace, funny how that works huh?! ;)

Jedieb
Aug 8th, 2001, 03:36:27 PM
That was a really cool site Darth23! Thanks for posting it. :)

Obi10kenobi
Aug 9th, 2001, 08:43:23 AM
"Attack of the Clones" ???

UGH! I hate this title! Sounds like the name of a Japanese movie with subtitles and fake looking dinosaurs!

Darth23
Aug 9th, 2001, 11:53:02 AM
I guess he should have called it The Clones Strike Back. :p

Jedieb
Aug 9th, 2001, 01:41:39 PM
No, no, TCSB is the title of EP3!

JonathanLB
Aug 10th, 2001, 01:46:18 AM
Yeah, hello, like duh! haha. ;)

Darth23
Aug 10th, 2001, 01:59:12 AM
NO!