PDA

View Full Version : Wow, nice Monday for Rush Hour 2!!

JonathanLB
Aug 7th, 2001, 08:08:42 PM
Amidst all of this AOTC discussion (hehe), I think RH2 became a less important subject, of course, but still I thought it was very, very interesting to note that RH2 not only beat the estimates significantly for last weekend (very rare as most studios seem to put the number $1 million higher than it really is), but the film also had a great Monday!

TPM still has the non-holiday record Monday of $10.9 million, pretty remarkable especially given its Wednesday opening instead of Friday, but RH2 made more than $9 million Monday, which was well ahead of POTA even though the Apes film opened with more money in its weekend than RH2. That has to be pretty impressive.

I think this is an indication that RH2 will at least have slightly better staying power in the long run, even if it falls 50% this weekend. It might make $200 million (actually it probably will), which would be pretty incredible.

Darth23
Aug 7th, 2001, 08:17:05 PM
I already pointed out RH2's Monday gross in the RH2 60 million thread.

:)

Jedieb
Aug 7th, 2001, 08:28:40 PM
That's got to be one of the best, if not the best Sunday to Monday hold of the summer. Does anyone think RH2 can hold on to #1 next week? I think PH has been the only film of the summer season to hold on to #1 for more than 1 week.

sirdizzy
Aug 7th, 2001, 09:37:49 PM
i doubt it can hold onto it there are like 6 new movies being released this weekend one of em has to have the power to knock it off

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 7th, 2001, 10:23:51 PM
RH2 better suck up all it can now, because I think American Pie 2 is going to romp all over everything this weekend. With the same audience as RH2, AP2 is going to clean up this weekend. But it will be interesting to see how well RH2 holds up and what kind of drop it has, also considering there are other movies opening.

CMJ
Aug 7th, 2001, 10:31:15 PM
I really think the "new" sequel on the block this weekend is gonna win the weekend. Maybe not by alot...but a TON of ppl are looking forward to it.

Darth23
Aug 8th, 2001, 12:08:31 AM
Yeah, I think American Pie will hit the top spot this weekend. Rush Hour 2 is like, so last week. ;)

I do expect RH2 to hold on better than JP, POTA, TR, PH, etc. etc. I still think it could drop more than 40% because of it's big opening.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 8th, 2001, 01:37:52 AM
But its a R rated film which will hurt it. I doubt it could make more than 45 and do we think a sex comedy will do that much? Scary Movie 2 already bombed I think/hope AP2 bombs as well. There are two other films opening, The Others and Osomis Jones. Osomis Jones is the Farrely brothers new movie, its mostly animated with Chris Rock doing one of the voices. It is a PG movie and it is suppose to be a family film??? That I have to see the Farrely brothers doing a family Film that is like Stephen King writing a sex comedy. The others looks promising, if its any good it could do something like the Sixth Sense and then again RH2 could hold on it will be interesting to see.

sirdizzy
Aug 8th, 2001, 03:09:08 AM
rat race opens too but i think its a limited release (because i saw a commercial that says the 17th)

spy kids SE opens wednesday, and the curse of the jade scorpion should pull in some numbers maybe top 10 probally not top 5

sirdizzy
Aug 8th, 2001, 03:14:06 AM
oops i guess i was wrong on that i just went to double check what movies cam out on firday and showbizdata is no longer reporting rat race and curse of the jade scorpion coming out this friday (the did when i checked on monday)

wooooo makes things easier in the contest though all those new movies premeering made things look difficult

JonathanLB
Aug 8th, 2001, 03:16:48 AM
Sorry Darth! My bad, I apologize :(

I just thought RH2 deserved another thread or something I guess. Ah well. :)

Dutchy
Aug 8th, 2001, 04:50:32 PM
$8.8M Tuesday.

Darth23
Aug 9th, 2001, 02:41:16 AM
Yep, it's going down. ;)

American Pie 2, Osmosis Jones and The Others open on Friday.

Spy Kids SE opened today. :D

foxdvd
Aug 9th, 2001, 11:37:32 AM
Wow..RH2 had a much smaller monday to tuesday drop then TPM...

JonathanLB
Aug 9th, 2001, 04:39:07 PM
Yes, that is true, a very nice hold from Monday to Tuesday. Impressive, huh?

TPM had a much bigger Monday, though, and it did open two days before the previous weekend, too. Then again, I think RH2 made more on Tuesday than TPM did on its first Tuesday! Nice. It's in the middle of the summer now, though, or at the end, anyway, and TPM came out in spring really...

Dutchy
Aug 9th, 2001, 05:43:07 PM
$7.3M for Wednesday.

Darth23
Aug 9th, 2001, 06:08:37 PM
It's falling! It's falling!

Of course it's made 24 million in 3 weekdays.

30 million for the week? (M-Th)

JonathanLB
Aug 9th, 2001, 10:43:23 PM
Well, hopefully it'll make about $6.97 million so it'll make it to $100 million in only 7 days :)

Dutchy
Aug 10th, 2001, 05:18:05 PM
It didn't, but then again, it did. :)

$6.85M for Thursday and $100.4M total.

Darth23
Aug 10th, 2001, 05:33:37 PM
SO it fell every day, but it still made 6.7 million on its LOWEST day. What does that mean for the weekend? (I guess we'll find out tomorrow)

CMJ
Aug 10th, 2001, 06:04:57 PM
But right now it looks like it may end up being the #2 film of the summer. Who would of thunk it?? Certainly not me.....

JonathanLB
Aug 10th, 2001, 09:41:58 PM
$100 million in 7 days. Is that the best of the year? POTA was 8, JP3 was 9 I think, Mummy Returns...?

I think RH2 will make between $200 and $210 million.

CMJ
Aug 11th, 2001, 01:55:47 AM
It took 9 days to reach the mark. Ibelieve RH2 is the fastest film to reach 100M this year.

JonathanLB
Aug 11th, 2001, 03:31:30 AM
Sheesh, nine days, lol.

How could RH2 NOT make $200 million? Even Mummy Returns made $200 million and its staying power wasn't that impressive.

AP2 will really cut into RH2, though, because its roughly the same target audience, a good deal smaller, but the core group is still teens. They're both comedies, but RH2 is far better...

I just saw AP2, though, and I thought it was super funny. I'll admit, I still have not seen the first film. I heard many people in the theater (like the group in front of me) say they thought it was better and funnier than the first one. My best friend said the same thing, so lately sequels seem to be killing their originals. RH2 was better, and it will do better as it should, and AP2 was probably better, or that's what I hear, and JP3 was better than its last sequel, anyway, hehe. I thought...

The audience for AP2 was ENTIRELY teens! I mean, everyone was within 2 years of me pretty much. It was like a big high school / early college party or something. Seriously, no range of ages at all. But, it was doing well clearly. Very full, not sold out, but it was the 2nd showing during the seven o'clock hour, and it was still nearly full. I'm guessing this is the second best August opening of all time with maybe $35 to $40 million. Hard to say.

August's in the past have been so incredibly weak. Last weekend, two of the best August openings ever entered the record books, and now this weekend another will enter.

Darth23
Aug 12th, 2001, 04:46:17 PM
Rush Hour held of fairly well. it dropped 50%, but it was the first movie this year to gross more then 30 million in its second week (I believe).