PDA

View Full Version : Petiton

FightingChance
Aug 8th, 2001, 01:53:35 PM
For the love of god, go sign it! (Btw its for Episode II title!)

www.PetitionOnline.com/ao...ition.html (http://www.PetitionOnline.com/aotc/petition.html)

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 8th, 2001, 02:14:24 PM
Oh brother I am not surprise this has happened. I will not sign it, it is a waste of time besides I like the title.

Jedieb
Aug 8th, 2001, 03:30:01 PM
While we're at it, why don't we ask him to remove all of the following from the SW saga:
Greedo Shooting First
Jar Jar Stepping in crap
Anakin yelling Yipee!
Luke Yelling Like A Frightened Girl in the ESB SE
Replace Skinny SE:Jabba with a fatter version
Show Boba Fett escaping from the Sarlac
Give Mace Windu more lines in TPM
Yoda's 3rd step at the end of TPM was a bit off, fix it
Same thing with Boss Nass in the scene in which he makes Jar Jar a general, except it was his 4th step that looked a bit clunky.

And while we're at it, mowing my lawn is really starting to get on my nerves. I think GL should come by and help with the hill in my backyard. At the very least he should hang around and bring me some lemonade when the temp gets above 90 degrees. I'm entitled damnit! If it wasn't for Lucas I could afford to have someone mow my lawn for me!

As soon as these request have been added to the petition I'll be more than happy to sign it. Until then, keep whining my friend!
Jedieb
AOTC (Yes, it sounds cheesy as hell but it will eventually grow on you, accept it!)

Hart Kenobi
Aug 8th, 2001, 03:41:38 PM
The last thing I want is for Lucas to be mad at his fans. And if anyone wants to petition him, you're not really a true fan.

Jedieb
Aug 8th, 2001, 03:46:27 PM
Well I wouldn't say that they're not true fans. They're just fans that love SW so much they don't mind embarrasing themselves. You've got to admire them for that. From a safe distance though, you don't want to get humiliated by association.

Darth23
Aug 8th, 2001, 03:53:01 PM
I WOULD sign a petition to get rid of Greedo shooting first.

That's the only mistake Lucas has ever made. :)

This whole petition thing is kind of sad, but also not too surprising, I guess. Since there are already so many fans of a move that hasn't even been released yet, I guess it's understandable that some of those fans feel a personal connection to the flick, and would have this kind of hissy fit over the title.

I think that means there's going to be a lot of them who don't like Ep 2 also. Since they're so locked into it,imprinted on it - if it's something they don't particualrly like they'll be even more upset with it and with a normal movie. Because there's more at stake. It's not just a movie, it's a piece of their identity.

Does that make any sense? :p

Jedieb
Aug 8th, 2001, 04:02:52 PM
Yeah that makes total sense. Holy crap, read what Darth23 wrote! It sounds like the guy's hittin' the pipe hard! What? Voice recognition software does what? Oh shi............ ;)

Some fans may let the title predispose them towards not liking the movie. Others may not like the film and then go back and say; "I knew we were in trouble the second I heard the title!"

BTW, did you guys hear what Mark Hamil said about the title? He was on a radio show and the hosts sprung the title on him. He thought they were joking and started laughing. When they told him they weren't kidding he said something to the effect of "Well, it's kind of retro." Now that's an understandable reaction. The title does initially sound cheesy. A petition however is not an understandable reaction.

Darth23
Aug 8th, 2001, 04:14:26 PM
Episode 2:

Attack of the Cheese.

:-)

I think most people whi first hear it think a) It's not he real title just some internet rumour then B) it sounds cheesy

I've seen many comments from people who think about it for a minute and start to like it (or at lease start to hate it less).

I never liked any of the Star Wars titles when I first heard them. When I read abotu 'A New Hope' being added I thought it sounded vague, generic, and unnecesarry. When I first heard [The Empire Strikes Back] I thought it sounded melodramatic, and cheesy. I thought Revenge of the Jedi sounded similar to ESB, but also a little un Jedi like (but I accepted it). Return of the Jedi once again sounded vague and a little boring.

Then of course, there's the Phantom Menace - the first 'huh?' title of the modern era. We really shouldn't be surprised that a lot of people don't like the new title.

I'm willing to bet then when we finally get the title of Ep 3 many people will hate that one too.

Dutchy
Aug 8th, 2001, 04:52:29 PM
pub2.ezboard.com/fswvstit...4867.topic (http://pub2.ezboard.com/fswvstitanicstarwarsvstitanic.showMessage?topicID= 4867.topic)

Same thread, right?

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 8th, 2001, 06:58:22 PM
I think that these people need to be brought to a vet and put down. What a bunch of absolute morons.

Hart Kenobi
Aug 8th, 2001, 11:54:07 PM
Yes, after all, it's only the title. Once everyone sees how kick-ass the movie is, they'll just forget about this whole thing. Just like what lost people do, forget about all of the things they were wrong on. And then they'll diss the EpIII title saying it's not good like "Attack of the Clones"

JonathanLB
Aug 10th, 2001, 05:37:14 AM
They are absolute morons.

I am indifferent to the "Greedo shooting first" bit. It's the only change in the special editions that I didn't "like," but as I said, I'm indifferent, so I don't dislike it. I honestly don't care nor do I think it's a big deal whatsoever.

Lucas wanted it that way, so be it, I don't care because it wasn't a big deal anyway. People who think it TOTALLY CHANGES Han need to get a grip and breath deeply, lol. It honestly changes nothing.

Darth23
Aug 10th, 2001, 09:32:18 AM
Sure it does!

Now, not only is Greedo an A--hole and a loser, but he's also a bad shot. :p I men, the guy was 2 feet away!

Plus, having Han shoot first after Greedo threatened him showed Han to be a bit quicker and more ruthless. Now either he's slow - he anticipated Greedo's attempt of his life, but still waited so long that the should have died, or he's too noble - he's a selfish smuggler at that point, and hadn't made te decision to look out for someone other than himself.

Plus it LOOKS bad on film. It looks jumpy even if you don't know how the scene used to work.

Hart Kenobi
Aug 10th, 2001, 01:42:40 PM
And for the people that signed the petition, maybe you guys should back up this threat by not watching the movie then.

Darth23
Aug 10th, 2001, 05:35:53 PM
They can't. Ihey're hooked on Star Wars - that's why there's so much resentment.

JonathanLB
Aug 10th, 2001, 05:43:08 PM
Well, I think Greedo missed intentionally. He was firing a warning shot to scare Han, then he was going to finish him off after that, if Han didn't make some type of better offer. He didn't realize Han had a gun under the table.

He would not have simply missed from two feet away, that's impossible.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 10th, 2001, 08:50:31 PM
I don't think it changes Han one bit either. It just makes Greedo look stupid and an even worse shot than a stormtrooper. If you notice, Han was already getting his blaster ready anyway. Greedo was toast whether he shot or not.

ReaperFett
Aug 10th, 2001, 08:56:47 PM
I wouldnt mind the Greedo shot, if it didnt look so stupid :)

Also, I wanted the Wampa subplot and sandstorm scenes in ESB ad ROTJ!

Doc Milo
Aug 11th, 2001, 03:11:20 PM
I think it changed Han a little bit. In the original version, you can liken it to the two of them having a shoot out at ten paces. Han knows Greedo is going to cheat, and turn on 8, so he turns on 5.

In the new version, using the same analogy, Han keeps walking till 10 and turns, Greedo has turned on 9 and shot, but missed, and Han merely returns fire, after having played by the rules...

About this petition -- these people really need to get over it. I'm willing to bet that after seeing the title in context with the movie, it's going to make perfect sense on many levels.

ReaperFett
Aug 11th, 2001, 03:13:19 PM
course itll make perfect sense, thats the problem. No mystery

Doc Milo
Aug 11th, 2001, 03:19:56 PM
There's mystery to "The Empire Strikes Back" ??

What if the "Attack" referred to is not just clones attacking something, but the "attack" of the process of cloning on the republic's way of life, on the Jedi way of life? What if the Attack of the Clones works on a metaphoric level as well as a descriptive level -- like "The Phantom Menace" works on the descriptive level, describing Palpatine/Sidious' manipulations, but also metaphorically referring to the dark side itself, referring to Anakin who is to become Darth Vader....

ReaperFett
Aug 11th, 2001, 03:22:24 PM
no, clones attack means the clone wars, thats simple.

ESB could mean many things. Is it by attacking Hoth? Taking Han? Trying to tempt Luke? Many more

Doc Milo
Aug 11th, 2001, 03:39:41 PM
And until you see the next movie, you can't say that Attack of the Clones doesn't refer to many things as well.

I mean, it's not going to be a movie where all we see for two hours is an army of clones attacking innocent people like some old Godzilla monster movie or something. There is going to be more to the movie than that. You can't say, well it means the Clone Wars. Sure, but The Empire Strikes back means a battle in the Galactic Civil war. But like you said, it means more -- and Attack of the Clones just may well mean more. You can't judge it until it's in context with the movie.

The problem I see is that people have context to judge all the other titles by -- and there is no context to judge this title by. Without context, though, all the other titles are silly sounding. Without context, and you hear The Empire Strikes Back you pretty much say, well, the Empire is going to Attack the rebels....

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 11th, 2001, 03:46:33 PM
This is one of the funniest things ever!
He suggested that all critics of the title, should log off and go get a girlfriend!

Love it!!!

Jedieb
Aug 12th, 2001, 11:36:03 PM
Greedo shooting first is just plain stupid. It looks horrendous and it robs Han of one his coolest moments in the trilogy. After he offs Greedo and flips Wuher some money for the "mess" you know you're looking at a bad ass. Han is the perfect counterpart to Luke's farmboy. Han didn't need to wait for Greedo to shoot first. Greedo signed his own death warrant when he threatened Han. It's things like this that makes me pray the original OT will be included in the DVD when it's finally released.