PDA

View Full Version : Remember this quote.

Darth23
Aug 23rd, 2001, 01:22:45 AM
<a href=http://www.usatoday.com/life/enter/movies/2001-08-22-summer-movies.htm>Summer films sizzle, then fizzle </a> - USA TODAY

...With such heavy hitters, even Star Wars could fall victim to the one-week-wonder trend. That may signal a change in moviegoing habits more than dissatisfaction with movie quality, many industry watchers say.

As if. These idiots think that because run of the mill Hollywood fare has no legs that Episode 2 will perform the same way? How many long running Star Wars movies will it take for them to realize the appeal that SW has.

The movie companies are doing a great job of marketing the big movies, so they open big, but they still make basically the same money they would have made if they started smaller had held up better. Even with the TPM backlash and it's darker tone Episode 2 will still at least come close to the 400 million dollar range, if it doesn't exceed it.

The only thing that could hurt it would be if theater owners started pulling it prematurely after a few weeks in favor if the next 'big thing'. Men in Black 2 and Spiderman will be big next year, Spy Kids 2, Stuart Little 2 will probably hit around 100 million or a bit more, Minority Report COULD be a decent sized movie, but the summer is going to belong to ATOC, period.

(Sorry for the Jon-like rant) ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 23rd, 2001, 03:11:06 AM
No problem there Darth. I agree with you too, I was surprised that person wrote that, its just stupid to try to compare JP3, RH2, and POTA to AOTC, Star Wars is just way bigger. First its got a much larger fan following, I don't think there is no Rush hour following the size of Star Wars. The film won't have a 50% slide because of the loyal fans. Plus unlike some movies I think EP2 will be on less screens so many people will not get in opening weekend or may pass because of the crowds and go the following weekend.

JonathanLB
Aug 23rd, 2001, 08:18:38 AM
The Jon-like rant? Should I take that as a compliment? lol.

Well I agree with you there, certainly Episode II will have excellent staying power as most movies with broad appeal do...

I am leaving for college in a few hours, though, and I've not slept, so I guess I better do that :(

Darth23
Aug 23rd, 2001, 10:22:10 AM
I agree it was a little SHORT. :p

Have a good trip.

Hart Kenobi
Aug 23rd, 2001, 11:10:56 PM
None of those movies have close to the same dedicated following Star Wars does. TPM wasn't my favorite Star Wars, but I saw it around 5 times in a theater just because I would rather see it again than see a different, new movie. Not because I thought it was going to be better, but because it was simply Star Wars and you can't turn your back on it.

Darth23
Aug 23rd, 2001, 11:15:24 PM
It's the subliminal messages.

:p

General Ceel
Aug 24th, 2001, 12:02:50 AM
I saw it 7 times in theatre just to spite the Austin Powers fans........but how many Austin Powers fans watched AP2 7 times. Thats the differnce between Star Wars and other films. EP2 is gonna have giant Legs just like TPM did, despite anything the media trys to say.

Darth23
Aug 27th, 2001, 01:08:46 AM
There aren't too many movies that peopel go to see more than once. Even less that people are willing to see even more than that. For some reason the Star Wars films fit that catergory. I've seen a few movies 2 or 3 time in the theaters. I've only seen Final Fantasy, T2 and Mystery Men more than that.

RHJediKnight
Aug 27th, 2001, 05:52:10 AM
I saw TPM five times in '99. Once in five different theaters. Ah, those were the days...

Can't wait to do the same with AOTC, except there isn't as many theaters here as there were where I lived when TPM came out. Ah well, guess I'll have to see it ten times or more to make up...