PDA

View Full Version : Conan sequel script review at AICN

ReaperFett
Aug 28th, 2001, 06:25:50 AM
www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=10000 (http://www.aint-it-cool-news.com/display.cgi?id=10000)

When AICN gets scripts, they are always real from their sources, but not neccesarilly the filming script. From the sounds of it, I hope it stays this way

Darth23
Aug 28th, 2001, 01:38:01 PM
"Ah zwear ah will not slay anyone..."

;)

Hart Kenobi
Aug 28th, 2001, 04:19:57 PM
I hope it won't have Arnold in it.

Jedieb
Aug 28th, 2001, 05:24:08 PM
The Conan sequel with Wilt Chamberlin and Grace Jones was one of the worst sequels EVER made! I think I remember Ebert gave it a thumbs up when he first reviewed it, something he probably regrets now. The original with Arnold and James Earl Jones was awesome. Arnold at his early bloody best!

Darth23
Aug 28th, 2001, 07:05:42 PM
I always heard it was better than the original. :p

I've never really seen any of them. I was a fan of the comic, but I never thought Conan should look like a weightlifter.

Jedieb
Aug 28th, 2001, 07:21:43 PM
I believe the second one was called Conan The Destroyer. Chamberlin and Jones were simply ridiculous. The action was very cheesy. If I remember the producers lost the edge of the first movie by toning it down to a PG rating. The movie lost all of its edge. The first one was pretty gritty for its time and had some memorable sequences. Well worth a video rental.

IndianaJones
Aug 30th, 2001, 10:10:20 AM
What a great review. I found it to be enthusiastic, and enthusiasm is something that generally can sell me. If someone likes a movie enough to let it over flow their mind and flood out of their mouth and writing I know I'm missing something. In the same way I know I'm missing this script.

I was a big fan of the original Conan film. I've seen it about a dozen times. I hated the sequal. But something I must say is that Arnold was the best Conan, he is the only one I can imagine in the role, and I will be not only disappointed but heart broken if they use The Rock to fill the role. I skipped The Mummy Returns because of him. He doesn't look like Conan, or what I'm used to Conan looking like. Arnold was a prime choice, especially when Arnold was at his biggest and baddest form. Conana is supposed to be a monster of a guy built from his turmoil and hatred into hardened spirit of a warrior. This script sounds to be every little bit the action film that Hollywood needs to release since action films have a bad rap as only mindless violence. THis script sounds to be full of dep plots and ideas remenicent of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Political turmoil and distress. Plus I love sequals, when they are done right,and few are. Star Wars, Indy, and a few others have ones that work for them. THis sounds to me, like a possibly masterpiece of writing and sequaling. This must be made, but not if they want to put The Rock in it. For the sake of making it a film that is taken seriously, not the Rock.

Darth23
Aug 30th, 2001, 10:42:38 AM
I think sword and sorcery has gone downhill since the bodybuilders, heavy metal bands and fake wrestlers took it over.

:-|

buff jedi 2
Aug 30th, 2001, 01:54:03 PM
and whats wrong with bodybuilders???? ;)

buffjedi/wookieboy

Darth23
Aug 30th, 2001, 02:28:52 PM
Nothing's wrong with bofy builders, it's just that most people living in sword and sorcery type environments don't have the time to work on the lats and deltoids. :p

Body builders look they way they do because they engage in acticity speficically designed to get a certain body shape. This isn't what Conan should look like. Maybe Hercules or Samson, but not Conan.

Jedieb
Aug 30th, 2001, 03:14:10 PM
Conan always looked pretty ripped in the comics to me. Certainly more muscular than characters like Spiderman and the Flash. I don't think having a muscular Conan is a bad thing, especially when the character's great strength is a prominent trait. But casting a big actor could be a mistake. I wouldn't rush to theaters to see the Rock as Conan. I'd rather see Buff in the role.

IndianaJones
Aug 30th, 2001, 03:44:20 PM
My biggest concern with the casting of the Rock is the crowd they would hope to be attracking. The wrestling crowd. Not that I have anything against pro wrestling, but the Rock is not a serious actor, casting him in the role would be just a boxoffice enticement. He would be the audience draw, not the character of Conan.

Darth23
Aug 30th, 2001, 05:20:00 PM
Conan has muscles, but he didn't have body builder muscles. Actually he was a little on the skinny side in the Barry Winsdor Smith version.

Interesting quote:

from www.geocities.com/mbrown1...nan1.html: (http://www.geocities.com/mbrown123/greatest_comics/conan1.html:)

While filming the 1982 Conan movie, Schwarzenegger had to tone down his workout, as his arm and chest muscles were too big to allow him to properly wield a sword.

ReaperFett
Aug 30th, 2001, 05:37:18 PM
I can better that fact :) :

The Mattel Toy Company started to make some Conan action figures, but after viewing the film, the executives realized that they couldn't afford to be associated with a film with such graphic sex and violence. They gave their doll blonde hair, called him "He-man", and thus created "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe" (1983).

Darth23
Aug 30th, 2001, 05:48:52 PM
hee hee

Another srike against Arnold.

;)