PDA

View Full Version : The Road to Super Bowl XXXVI

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 5th, 2001, 12:02:30 AM
The new football season is almost upon and starting Sunday 31 teams will begin their fight for the Lombardi Trophy. With the parity of the league team half the league has a shot at it and at every body except for the incredibly terrible teams (Cowboys, Panthers, Bengals, Bears, and Browns) have a chance at the playoffs. If I was going to bet on it I pick the Rams vs the Broncos but of course that may not happen. I think there might be a surprise team that might reach the big game and if there is it will between three teams, The Saints, sure they made the playoffs last year but if they get to Super Bowl and maybe even win it everybody will be shocked. The Packers, all they have to is get into the playoffs and they have a chance, they have the best QB in football and much like Montana before him Farve has the ability to lead them make a run in the playoffs. The Chiefs, I know I am slightly biased being a Chief's fan but they have the potential to get in the playoffs and after that anything can happen. They also have a great coach who has brough two other teams to the super bowl and he could do that with the Chiefs if not this season perhaps next. The main problem they will have is their season is dependent on the health of Trent Green, if he goes down for any lenght of time they are in trouble but if is healthy all season they very should make the post season.

buffjedi
Sep 5th, 2001, 12:26:59 AM
Well.I'll not be watching alot of football this year.My cowboys will more than likely reek of notalentizem but I do see the panthers doing well.but as long as the boys beat the DEADSKINS the season will reek of Awsomeizim.Shouldn't Emmit smith pass Walter Payton this year in rushing? Emitt Rocks the CAsba!

buffjedi2/wookieboy

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 5th, 2001, 12:34:50 AM
The Cowboys are in transition and have a lot of problems. I knew they would be in trouble when they picked Quincy Carter as their QB. First he is a rookie, second he stunk in his junior season at Georgia. He has talent but he has not displayed it very much at the college level. To make matters worse they just signed Ryan Leaf now I know they are in trouble. Who knows the Cowboys might go 1-15 and the only team they beat willl be the Redskins (they are not going to be very good either). The Panthers will stink they are starting Weinkie a 29 yr old rookie as the QB. They have no defense, no WR a poor OL and average RB I'd say they do 3-13 and Seifert gets fired or quits which ever comes first. I'm not sure if Smith is going to pass payton this year or not I haven't really heard. Really if sanders hadn't retired he would have had and could have kept it too since he was only 30 when he retired. Hopefully my Chiefs will have a good season but it is impossible to tell because of the parity in the league. A parity which I think helps because just about every team has a chance at the post season.

buffjedi
Sep 5th, 2001, 01:00:32 AM
True to that on Quincy,They should have NEVER drafted him.In my opinion (and thats worth about 2cents) a QB should be able to stay in the pocket and throw.its good that he has good legs BUT you need a good arm in the NFL,he aint got it.I really didnt like Troy Aikman BUT he was a decent QB (plus had some recievers) Oh what a sad time in big D.

Now barry Sanders THATS a bad ars RB he had the movies of payton,and the power Of john Riggens.Yeah he would have broken the record last year and at 30 he would have more than likely set the bar to high to be passed in our life time.

I dont know (not a great FB anylist) but there is something about the panthers That tell me this may be there year (atleast a great year) I fill Weinke Could be a great Qb in the league if he stay's healthy and has a decent line. I dont think he will need great recievers,just as ;ong as they can catch he'll do good.I guess we will know in a few short month's. I personally wouldn't mind to see KC walk away with it all.They always been a team with class (and thats hard to find now adays).I would really like to see the Phins win it all BUt i'd like to win the lottery too.I'm still pulling for the Boy's though (i'm a gluton for punishment :(

buffjedi/wookieboy

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 5th, 2001, 01:46:18 AM
Its not always been that way for the Chiefs for a season and half when Marty was trying to win a super bowl he brought it all of these troubled projects (Bam Morris, Andre Rison, Chester Mcklockton) With Dickie V geting rid of Mcklockton they finally got rid of their troubled players. They also released Tony Horne for I think similar reasons. Vermeil is a class guy and he will not bring in poor character players (he learned that lesson from the whole Lawrence Phillips fiasco) It would be cool to see Vermeill do it he would set a record of taking three different teams to the super bowl and being the first coach (I think) to win two super bowls with different teams. Realistically I think they will probably go 9-7 they could surprise me by going 10-6 or could disapoint me and go 6-10 it is hard to say. I think the title will be decided in the AFC title game between probably the Broncos and the Titans to face most likely the Rams (the NFC stinks this year). I don't think the Ravens will repeat because I just think it is too hard to repeat today.

DaBoSsNaStY
Sep 5th, 2001, 05:47:57 AM
oops.. delet this post please:)

DaBoSsNaStY
Sep 5th, 2001, 05:48:26 AM
Right on... it is fun to see a true Cowboys fan around like Buffjedi! I love that team too, and a good year for us is to see that the Cowboys beat the Redskins. I do hope that Emmit has a good running year... he needs to rush over 1550 yards to pass WP rushing recored! if not, well have next season:)

SuperBowl winner for this year are the Saints v. Denver!

Saints win when Ricky runs for a 50 yd. TD, in the 4th..LOL!!

JonathanLB
Sep 5th, 2001, 04:24:20 PM
I hate the Cowboys. They are, without a doubt, the most hated team in football. Almost everyone I know either love's the Cowboys (this is a minority) or absolutely hates them. I hate them.

Anyway, back to the football discussion (because the Cowboys don't count, hehe), the 49ers should be much better this season and with such a strong offense, I can definitely see them making the playoffs or at least going 9-7. Beyond that, they won't go anywhere, but they're improving...

Go Vikings, meanwhile!

ReaperFett
Sep 5th, 2001, 04:27:47 PM
been a long time since I watched American Football. How are the LA Raiders doing? or the LA Rams? :)

buffjedi
Sep 5th, 2001, 04:51:08 PM
BOOO!!!!!! to JON :) cowboy's may suck this year BUT they still ROCK!!!!!

Reaper ,I think the rams are in st.louis now :)

buffjedi2/wookieboy

ReaperFett
Sep 5th, 2001, 04:54:24 PM
Cleaveland Browns still going? :)

DaBoSsNaStY
Sep 5th, 2001, 06:26:46 PM
The Cowboys.. the most hated team? Where didja get that infomation from?

buffjedi
Sep 5th, 2001, 06:44:55 PM
Browns are back in cleveland(I think):)

I dunno Dabo,Ole Jon is getting to much of that CAl.sun :)

buffjedi2/wookieboy

Jedieb
Sep 5th, 2001, 08:26:36 PM
COWBOYS RULE!!!!!!!!
A minority of people love the Cowboys!? Are you on crack Jon? When the Cowboys are on top THERE IS NO MORE POPULAR TEAM IN FOOTBALL!!!! That's why so many hate us, because they can't stand that we're AMERICA'S TEAM and everyone else is a poor second cousin! :p

As for this season, my Cowboys will be lucky to win 4 games. I wouldn't be surprised if they did go 1-15. Quincy Carter was a horrible draft choice and an even worse choice as a rookie starting QB. For Yoda's sake, if he were still at GT he wouldn't even be STARTING! Yes, he looked great on Monday Night down in ol' Mexico. Now, what's going to happen when the Cowboys run the option a few times against the Bucs? John Lynch will ignore the running back and promptly plant Quincy Carter into the ground. Lynch won't give a rats butt about the football. He'll have one mission, to teach Carter why the option doesn't work in the NFL. By the second half both the option and Carter will probably be headed for a local Tampa hospital.

Who would I like to see in this year's big game? The Bucs V. Titans. Who knows who's going to be there, it's a tough call. I think there are going to be a few teams that will improve upon last year's record (Chief, Chargers, Steelers, WoosyNiners) and a few that will fall flat on their faces (Giants, Bills, & Bears). Here are my picks for the top 3 teams in each conference:

NFC
Bucs
Rams
Packers

AFC
Titans
Ravens
Broncos

I think the Super Bowl will feature 2 of those teams. But after the last few years of parity who the hell knows what's going to happen? Besides the Bills NEVER winning a Super Bowl of course. STUPID BILLS!! HA HA!

JonathanLB
Sep 5th, 2001, 09:20:15 PM
hahaha, America's team, what a joke. As my dad put so well, "There's just something about the Cowboys that EVERYONE loves to hate." He's exactly right. They are like the villains. I hate the Cowboys. Always have and always will.

As for the Raiders, many people think they will win the super bowl this year. I believe Maxim magazine picked the Raiders to win...

Figrin D an
Sep 6th, 2001, 12:21:41 AM
Quote:
"When the Cowboys are on top THERE IS NO MORE POPULAR TEAM IN FOOTBALL!!!! That's why so many hate us, because they can't stand that we're AMERICA'S TEAM and everyone else is a poor second cousin!"

I think that is more a testament to the fair-weather attitude of Cowboy fan pool than their actual popularity... :p

With the exception of the really crappy teams (Cleveland, Dallas, Chicago, Cincinnati), the NFL pretty much reeks of parity this season. That either means some really good division races, or some really bad football for the next 4 months. It's hard to tell which it will be at this point...

In the AFC, I like Oakland, Tenessee or Indianapolis to come out on top. Of course, people will say I'm insane for not including the Ravens because of their defense. My response to that is simply that, despite their defense, the Ravens might not have made the playoffs last year if it weren't for Jamal Lewis. Their receivers are average at best, and with the bulk of the offense now falling on the shoulders of Elvis Grbac, expect teams to drop 5 and 6 players into pass coverage. I'm not saying the Ravens won't be good, they should have a pretty decent season. I just think that teams will start to catch up with their defense a little and make things a little tougher for them. Kansas City, Miami, Seattle and Denver should be good as well. Surprise pick: San Diego - They made some of the best off-season moves I've seen in a long time. The could catch a lot of people off guard and maybe make a playoff run.

The NFC should be led by St. Louis, New York, Minnesota, New Orleans and Green Bay. Tampa Bay, Philadelphia, New Orleans will be good as well. Even with Marty Schottenheimer in D.C., I still question if the Redskins can develop much team chemistry... at least not this year. The Niners have an outside shot at making the playoffs, especially if Garrison Hurst stays healthy. Should be close in all three divisions this year. Surprise Pick: Arizona - Hey, with Dallas this bad, they might actually climb out of the basement in the NFC East! ;)

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 6th, 2001, 12:51:43 AM
I think a lot of people hate (or hated) the Cowboys much like a lot of people hate the Yankees, its either the conception that they win all the time or its their attitude they take on the field you can argue either point. I personally have never like the Cowboys although I hate the Raiders a lot worse (being a chiefs fan helps there). Also why are the Cowboys thinking about running the option??? That is just plain stupid if they run that all season they have a good chance of becoming the first team to go 0-16. It just boggles my mind why they would do that. As far as the super bowl I have narrowed my choice a little bit and will do something similar to what Jedieb did
AFC
Broncos
Titans
Colts
NFC
Saints
Rams
Eagles

I think the SB champ will be one of those six teams I am leaning towards the bronocs mostly because I saw highlights of Terrell the other night and he looks like his old self. If he stays healthy all season the Broncos will be marching down in New Orleans. I am hopefull for my Chiefs I think they will be much improved from last year but can go any where from 10-6 to 6-10 depending on the health of Trent Green. I think next year will be their year at least I hope it will be.

Jedieb
Sep 6th, 2001, 08:04:18 PM
I can't wait for Sunday!!!! This is the first season that my son will be able to get a sense of what's going on when his Dad screams at the television all day on Sunday. I bought him a nerf this week and I've had him chanting "FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL, FOOTBALL!!!" all week long. I don't think I've ever seen my wife more frightened. ;)

OT
Did anyone else catch that incredible Sampras/Agassi match last night? Pistol Pete RULED!!!! As much as I HATED Agassi early in his career, I really admire the way he rededicated himself these last couple of years. If he'd taken his sport this seriously during the last decade then he may have been the one with a record number of slams. That's why I loved Pete, substance over style, that's what matters.

DaBoSsNaStY
Sep 7th, 2001, 02:51:53 AM
I am going to laugh when the Cowboys beat the BUKS this sunday!!..lol!! well if they do that is:p

I hate fairweather fans!

I have one friend that was a 49ers fan when they were hot. than become a Cowboys fan when they were hot... to a Packers fan, to a Denver fan.. I was very shock that he did not become a Ravens fan over the summer! LOL!

Jedieb
Sep 7th, 2001, 10:52:13 AM
Well the Cowboys will always be my team. Even though I'll be pulling for the Bucs this year, I'll still root for Dallas when they square off this Sunday. I just love NFL football. If you follow football there are always going to be teams you're more partial to than others. One of the reasons I didn't enjoy last year's Superbowl was because I was rather ambivalent about both teams. Yeah, I disliked the Ravens, but the Giants are a NFC East rival that I love to see lose. Minnesota would have given me a team to root for. Your favorite team can't play for the big game every year, but that doesn't mean you can't root for someone in the game you're watching.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 7th, 2001, 11:38:16 AM
Fortuntenly I don't consider myself a fair weather fan, I have been a Chiefs fan for about 10 years now ever since Montana defected from the 49ers. I was really a Joe Montana fan growing up, he was my idol and of course I followed his career to the chiefs, even after he retired for some reason I continued to stick with them and still do after a couple of losing season, hopefully this will all change now that they have Dick Veremil as their coach.

Jedieb
Sep 7th, 2001, 02:18:09 PM
For some reason, I keep thinking about the Redskins whenever someone mentions the Chielfs. Probably because they both have new old geezers at the helm. I think the Chiefs will do much better under Vermiel than the Redskins will under Schotneheimer. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Chiefs in the playoffs and the Redskins with a .500 or losing record.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 7th, 2001, 02:49:56 PM
LOL I like they are both old. I agree with you on Washington and I have no clue why Schotneheimer came back I think the game has passed him by first off. Second he did a lousy job in selected a coaching staff he chose last years Chief's coaching staff which includes his own brother as Defensive cordinator. Now this wouldn't be bad if KC had a good team last year but they were a medocre 7-9 and much of the blame was attributed to these coaches. Kurt Schotneheimer was terrible last year and the Offensive coordinator, his name escapes me was way too conservate. So conservate that he would sometimes run the ball on 3 and 8 and not just occasionly but a lot. And don't get me started on the Special Teams which the Chiefs had the worse one in the league. Obvisoly I think Marty has lost it and I would be surprised if they go 6-10. At least Dick Vermeil had the sense to bring in good coaches like Robinson for Defense and Al Sauders for Offensive and also the great Willie Joyner for WR coach. Now if only these coaches can keep the Chief players healthy they will be in good shape.