PDA

View Full Version : A nice read....for a change...

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 15th, 2001, 06:27:58 PM
> TRIBUTE TO THE UNITED STATES
> This, from a Canadian newspaper, is worth sharing.
> America:

Widespread but only partial news coverage was given
> recently to a remarkable editorial broadcast from
> Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian television
> commentator. What follows is the full text of his
> trenchant remarks as printed in the Congressional
>
> Record:
> "This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for the
> Americans as the most generous and possibly the least
> appreciated people on all the earth.
> Germany, Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and
> Italy were lifted out of the debris of war by the
> Americans who poured in billions of dollars and
> forgave other billions in debts. None of these
> countries is today paying even the interest on its
> remaining debts to the United States.
>
> When France was in danger of collapsing in 1956,
> it was the Americans who propped it up, and their
> reward was to be insulted and swindled on the streets
> of Paris. I was there. I saw it.
>
> When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the
> United States that hurries in to help. This spring, 59
> American communities were flattened by tornadoes.
> Nobody helped.
>
> The Marshall Plan and the Truman Policy pumped
> billions of dollars into discouraged countries. Now
> newspapers in those countries are writing about the
> decadent, warmongering Americans.
>
> I'd like to see just one of those countries that
> is gloating over the erosion of the United States
> dollar build its own airplane. Does any other country
> in the world have a plane to equal the Boeing Jumbo
> Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the Douglas DC10?
> If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the
> International lines except Russia fly American Planes?
>
> Why does no other land on earth even consider putting
> a man or woman on the moon? You talk about Japanese
> technocracy, and you get radios. You talk about German
> technocracy, and you get automobiles.
>
> You talk about American technocracy, and you find
> men on the moon - not once, but several times -
> and safely home again.
>
> You talk about scandals, and the Americans put theirs
> right in the store window for everybody to look at .
> Even their draft-dodgers are not pursued and hounded.
> They are here on our streets, and most of them, unless
> they are breaking Canadian laws, are getting American
> dollars from ma and pa at home to spend here.
>
> When the railways of France, Germany and India
> were breaking down through age, it was the Americans
> who rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and
> the New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them an
> old caboose. Both are still broke.
>
> I can name you 5000 times when the Americans raced
> to the help of other people in trouble. Can you name
> me even one time when someone else raced to the
> Americans in trouble? I don't think there was outside
> help even during the San Francisco earthquake.
>
> Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one
> Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get
> kicked around. They will come out of this thing with
> their flag high. And when they do, they are entitled
> to thumb their nose at the lands that are gloating
> over their present troubles. I hope Canada is not one of those."
>
> Stand proud, America!
> Wear it proudly!!

Nice to get some props now and then ain't it guys? :)

ReaperFett
Sep 15th, 2001, 06:30:32 PM
90% of Europe respects the US fully. I'm proud our country has a friend and ally such as the US. It's just you never hear of us. It's always the minority of countries who hate you

Jedieb
Sep 15th, 2001, 07:03:01 PM
I saw a clip of a large gathering in London in support of the United States. That article reminds me of that. My country is not perfect, but it didn't deserve this. No nation does. Thank you for posting that.

JonathanLB
Sep 15th, 2001, 07:10:41 PM
That is a good article and I've read it before earlier as it seems to be floating around.

I have always thought of the UK as our greatest ally. Although long ago they were, of course, the reason for the United States and the cause for great frustration among many people, history is history. In the present, the UK is definitely the best ally we have and I think most people in the United States believe there is a special connection between the two countries. I mean, there are jokes about the British, their way of speaking the language, etc, but those are just jokes just as the US even jokes about how many people in the US are fat and lazy, hehe. I think every culture has its jokes about every other culture, like "Blame Canada" even though I honestly don't feel like Canada and the US are two separate nations. They are, but Canadians are just like us basically. They share our TV shows, movies, and they have made great contributions to the United States, especially in the entertainment industry I think...

It's nice to see other countries support the US, especially because I think the boundaries of a country do not mean the people are entirely different. I think we share far, far more similarities than differences...

BizRodian
Sep 16th, 2001, 03:56:36 AM
While there are some faults in the artical, it's basic point is true. The US does do a lot for the world. Yes, sometimes it can be arrogant about it, yes sometimes they make mistakes, but overall, they do a lot of good.

JonathanLB
Sep 16th, 2001, 04:06:16 AM
We're not arrogant at all.

If you mean by the US saying we're the greatest country on earth, well yeah that is absolutely true. Truth is not arrogance. Much like if I say I'm a great writer, am I being arrogant or am I just stating a fact? Obviously the latter.

The US is the greatest country on earth, lol. It's certainly the most powerful too. Almost every other civilized nation has followed our lead, so that is why I say we are the greatest.

Dutchy
Sep 16th, 2001, 09:39:01 AM
If you mean by the US saying we're the greatest country on earth, well yeah that is absolutely true. Truth is not arrogance.

When will you learn the difference between opinions and facts? America is the most powerful country in the world, yes, but the greatest? Nope, that's just your opinion. Why is it the greatest anyway, according to you?

Much like if I say I'm a great writer, am I being arrogant or am I just stating a fact? Obviously the latter.

Obviously the first. Though I think you're a great writer indeed, as for grammar anyway.

Jedieb
Sep 16th, 2001, 11:47:35 AM
Arroagance is his middle name and taking credit for the actions of others is his hobby. That kind of attitude damages the United States in the eyes of other nations. When it's spouted by individuals who take no part in its defense or its sacrifices it makes me sick.

Hart Kenobi
Sep 16th, 2001, 12:22:09 PM
Sinclair died many years ago. That was a radio broadcast after the Vietnam War. But it is still inspirational.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 16th, 2001, 03:43:35 PM
It was written in 1973 by Gord Sinclair sr. His son, Gord jr is a major radio personality here in Montreal, I thought this was written by him at first, but no doubt he shares the same opinion as his dad did.

JonathanLB
Sep 16th, 2001, 05:43:32 PM
haha, well I just put the part about the US being the greatest in there to piss you guys off, so I'm really glad that worked. Otherwise, sheesh, precious time wasted :)

Greatness is obviously a matter of opinion. I wouldn't know if the US is the greatest country because I've only lived HERE and I've only BEEN to about four foreign countries. Nonetheless, I'm quite happy here.

As for your other comment, NO it is not arrogance to say something factual so don't even give me that BS. That is a very American idea that if someone goes up to Steven Spielberg and says, "Do you think you're a great director?" then he should say, "Aww, shucks, no I'm not that good, really. I try, though!" That's f***ing bullsh*t! He should respond with the truth, "Yes, I am a great director, but I think the greatest part of being a director is the opportunity to hone my craft further," or something like that. That way he comes off as realizing there is always room for improvement, but he doesn't lie or avoid the question either.

I AM a great writer, I AM HORRIBLE at Calculus. Both are just facts. Of course, it depends on the usage too, so if someone gives me advice on my writing and I say, "Well, pssh, I'm such a great writer I certainly don't need your advice," then that is arrogance! Ask any one of my friends and they will be able to cite examples of times I have come to them and asked for advice or help. I just did so two days ago with Fox in asking him how he thinks I could improve my short story. I gave my chapter, Marathon Lineup, to nine different people who stood in line to see the film and I kept changing the chapter until they were happy with it (because they are the most knowledgeable about the event).

The US is not an arrogant country whatsoever. In fact, the US is far too shy about being able to say it how it is. At least, the people here are anyway. I don't know where this sick and twisted idea came from that people should not realize their strengths. You're damn right I'm EXTREMELY knowledgeable about Star Wars and I'm a great writer, an intelligent student, and driven, dedicated person. If I didn't think that of myself, then I would have the wrong impression of ME, which is really not good! Many people are not able to evaluate themselves objectively so they end up thinking they are bad at something that they're actually good at, or vice versa. Knowing your strengths and weaknesses (or your limitations) is perhaps one of the most important aspects of life.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 16th, 2001, 06:59:41 PM
You know what? Spielberg probably does know that he's a great director, but there is such a thing as HUMILITY and MODESTY and CLASS. He doesn't need to be a loudmouth braggart in order to let everyone know that he's a great director. People just know. They see it and feel it in his work. You can have all the confidence in the world in your writing abilities, which is a good thing, but it's the people who read your work, benefit and learn from it who will refer to you as a great writer.

JonathanLB
Sep 17th, 2001, 12:20:01 AM
I absolutely agree, Kyle. He never needs to SAY anything. His actions alone are sufficient to prove he is (I think) the greatest director in history.

I suppose you guys see it as very arrogant for Muhammad Ali to say, "I AM THE GREATEST! I AM THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME!" I love that! It's fire, it's passion, it's energy! It's good trash talk and I love his personality and that fire within. I mean, he was backing it up, first off, and second I don't see how you could call it arrogance when in his case it was just to intimidate his opponents.

I think anyone who goes around bragging about something is wasting their time as well as wasting everyone else's, though. I mean I don't feel I have anything to prove as a writer, I just do it for the enjoyment of it, and I don't go telling people I'm a great writer. To be honest, in real life it makes me uncomfortable to talk about my work with people my age. It seems kind of weird and I just don't like it. It's ok with people I know well and am comfortable with, but when random people just happen to find out and start asking me about it, then I feel uncomfortable. I don't know why that is; I probably shouldn't, but it is probably just a natural reaction.

Well whatever, believe what you want, but I would still say having a perception of your own abilities is very important.

BizRodian
Sep 17th, 2001, 12:56:29 AM
Yeah, like when you say it's the greatest country in the world. I mean, it might be the greatest for you or me, but others may like other countries better.

It's not the best country for my Mom, she could never move to the US because no one would give her health insurance since she suffered a stroke at an early age because of a problem with the birth control pill that no one really knew about back then... Canada or Europe is better for her due to the health care here...

But I know you were just trying to piss people off by saying that... but some people will go ape @#%$ if you say you prefer another country to the US and think it's better for you...

JonathanLB
Sep 17th, 2001, 01:13:39 AM
Well I personally love the US and I will remain here during my life, but if someone thinks their country is better that is their right.

The United States is the most technologically advanced and militarily powerful country in the world and to me that makes a big difference, so that's why I choose to be here. We're a very advanced society and I love the entertainment we provide the world. In fact, film is our biggest export (many people don't know that) and our movies dominate the box offices of countries worldwide. We're great at entertaining people and that's another reason I love the US. Again, doesn't mean it's the best, but to me that all makes me love it here.

Canada's not that drastically different, though, so I'm not saying it would be bad living there.

BizRodian
Sep 17th, 2001, 01:23:41 AM
Yeah, well, technology seems pretty even all around the developed world to me, I know lots of technologic developments invented in Canada, Japan, Europe, Israel.. etc... Military isn't a big deal to me, because I've never been the strongest kid on the block, once someone said to me "The US is the best because we can kick anyones ass!" I said to them "The fact you can may be nice, but I remember a bully in grade school who said the same thing about himself and I never thought him any cooler for it." Film is even for me... I like tons of stuff from the US, but my favorite type of film is the character drama genre, and there are tons of nice foriegn films like that. I find many US studios to controling.

But it's all a matter of opinion.