PDA

View Full Version : Fall Box office

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 14th, 2001, 11:53:59 PM
How much impact do you think the nation's tragedy will have on the box office for the fall. I don't think it will hurt the later films in November like Harry Potter and LOTR in Dec but I think it will defentely impact the films coming out this week and next. I know there is nothing major coming out this week but next I think is Zoolanader staring Ben Stiller it looks funny from the previews. I guess if anything a comedy could stand a better chance for those wanting an escape from the tragedy.

JonathanLB
Sep 14th, 2001, 11:58:54 PM
It won't have any effect on the box office a couple months from now, but oh boy, you just watch how awful and absolutely pitiful this weekend is going to be. It's not going to be pretty, let me tell you.

First off, the films out now are not that good, ok they kind of suck for the most part, so this weekend was going to be bad, terrorism or no terrorism. But with this situation ongoing as now the nation waits to see what types of retaliatory actions the US takes, nobody is going to be going to the theaters hardly and this is going to look like a very dead box office.

I say give it three weeks and it'll be back, and I sure hope so because we had something good going this year, up 9% from last year, which is awesome.

Atreyu
Sep 15th, 2001, 12:02:16 AM
I've heard that some of the major studios have already pulled some of their films from release for the time being.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 15th, 2001, 12:21:19 AM
Only Collateral Damage and Big Trouble were pushed back probably to next year. Collateral Damage is an Arnold pic about columbian terrorists killing his family and him getting revenge. Big Trouble is a black comedy staring Tim Allen, Rene Russo, and Stanley Tucci, it has something to do with a suitcase with a bomb in it so I guess they didn't want any comedies with bombs in it and I don't blame them. Since they moved Training Game to October, September looks pathetic, it would have been pathetic regardless. There are only two really good looking films Zoolander and Hearts in Atlantis. The latter I really want to see it stars Anthony Hopkins and is based on a Stephen King novel has to do with a boy (who has an uncaring mother) who befriends Hopkins who is living upstaris in his house and he has some kind of unusual powers. The first preview I think looks terrific I think its a leading contender to get a bunch of Oscar Nominations. I agree with you Jon I think it won't hurt the Holiday films because they are just so big that people will go see them and I think some time would have passed for people to escape. I still hope Hearts in Atlantis does well, I guess it could do like The Green Mile which started off slow and but had low drop offs.

JonathanLB
Sep 15th, 2001, 12:55:23 AM
I'm not sure about that Anthony Hopkins film. Looked interesting I'd say, but it was one of those "could go either way" films, as my best friend and I call them. It just means it could be good, could be bad based on the trailer.

I think the holiday films will all be fine, absolutely. It's just that right now this is affecting every industry and market, not just a few parts of the economy. It is damaging the airlines, or already has, it has hurt a ton of business, wasted a lot of extra security money, and tens of billions have been lost because of it. Very frustrating to everyone for many reasons, but especially because we were already heading in the direction of a recession and that's what I think this is now...

Force Master Hunter
Sep 15th, 2001, 02:31:55 AM
Funny, I was looking at this weeks B.O.

it is pretty bad right now. Understandable.

Top ten barely did 10 million in total the whole week

JonathanLB
Sep 15th, 2001, 05:15:55 PM
Ugg, that box office chart Friday is a disgrace to not only the box office but to movies and to humanity in general. LOL.

I mean, add the entire top ten up and multiply it by two and you have a respectable opening, but damn, these movies are really sucking.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 16th, 2001, 02:48:26 PM
well it looks the box office did better than I thought considering the tragedy I was thinking the #1 movie would do less than 10 million maybe close to 5 but here is the top 10
1 - Hardball -- $10,100,000
2 - The Glass House -- $6,100,000
3 1 The Musketeer UNIV $5,300,000
4 5 The Others DIM $4,800,000
5 2 Two Can Play That Game SONY $4,700,000 6
6 Rush Hour 2 NL $4,350,000
$7 3 Jeepers Creepers MGM $3,851,000
8 8 Rat Race PARA $3,625,000
9 7 American Pie 2 UNIV $3,600,000
10 4 Rock Star WB $3,525,000

That really is not much different from last week when the Musketeer took in 10 million so I maybe people are going to the movies to escape the tragedy or their is just no change in their movie habits.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 17th, 2001, 03:38:31 PM
IMBD today reported that the box office over the weekend was up 43% from last year. Its hard to say if that means anything because they also said that weekend a year ago was one of the worst in 5 years so this might just be evident of a typical september weekend. Another interesting article on the site they were talking about blockbuster rentals up and they mentioned "Ironically, since film studios were reportedly altering plans to release terrorist-themed thrillers, many of the most sought-after films were ones with terrorist plots, according to the Los Angeles Times. One Blockbuster manager told the newspaper that renters were seeking "anything where terrorists got the stuffing kicked out of them."
I guess it should surprise me that they would like to see them knocked around so they just rent Die hard or Under siege and watch them get beat up.

Jedieb
Sep 17th, 2001, 09:39:14 PM
The HBO film Path To Paradise is the film I'd recommend. It is not an action film, it's a drama that attempts to chronicle the FBI's investigation and arrests of some of the terroists responsible for the 93 WTC bombing.

JonathanLB
Sep 17th, 2001, 09:53:48 PM
Haha, that is funny that people are renting all of the movies where the terrorists get their butts kicked.