PDA

View Full Version : Favorite line in the Phantom Menace

bronto
Apr 23rd, 2000, 06:56:32 PM
I've been watching it constantly on video and I've noticed I'm beginning to memorize the lines.

I was wondering what your favorite line in the film is?

Mine would be when Qui-Gon is in the Bongo and says "There's always a bigger fish." For me meaning that no matter how good you think you are at what you do, there is always someone better.

Also in the scene where the Queen is trying to get to her ship and leave Naboo for Choruscant. In the hanger the pilots are being held by the battle droids. There is a line that goes...

"There are too many of them!"
- Captain Panaka
"Won't be a problem."
- Qui-Gon

This shows how awesome the jedi really are. Releasing the pilots would have been a difficult task for the average person, but was done with easy by Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. This line also shows how confident Qui-Gon is of his abilities.

HyperEopie
Apr 23rd, 2000, 10:49:00 PM
"There's always a bigger fish" is a great line.

One of my favorites is:

QUI-GON: Well, I've aquired a pod in a game of chance. The fastest ever built.

WATTO: I hope you didn't kill anyone I know for it.

Bromine
Apr 23rd, 2000, 11:32:08 PM
-"I will make it legal."

Doc Milo
Apr 24th, 2000, 12:42:13 PM
I don't know why, but mine's:

"What yet? Monsters out there. Leaking in here. All sinking and no power! Whena yousa thinkin' wesa in trouble?"

I think it's because it's like the only time in the movie that Jar Jar shows a little backbone -- standing up to a powerful Jedi like that. :)

Darth Auch
Apr 24th, 2000, 01:28:20 PM
I can't believe no one has said
'At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi, at least we will have revenge"

or

"well you were right about one thing master, the negotiations were short'

-Darth Auch

darth dude
Apr 24th, 2000, 03:28:26 PM
i didn't like the way obi-wan delivered that line darth auch, it just seemed wierd, he did a great job throughout the rest of the movie, that just seemed wierd when he said it.

i vote for the watto/qui-gon scene..

QUI-GON: I have 20,000 republic dactaries
WATTO: republic credits!?! they're no good out here i need something more real.
QUI-GON: I don't have anything else but...credits will do..
WATTO: no they won't
QUI-GON: credits will do..
WATTO: NO THEY WON'T what you think you are some kinda jedi waving your hand around like that? i'm a toydarian, mind tricks don't work on me, ONLY MONEY!!!!! No MONEY! No PARTS! No Deal! And no one else here abouts has a T-14 hyperdrive i promise you that!

well, that's a couple of lines, but i can't believe no one has mentioned this one.

Jedieb
Apr 24th, 2000, 05:01:20 PM
"Wipe them out, all of them!"

RHJediKnight
Apr 24th, 2000, 05:49:59 PM
Well, I really liked these lines, I had them in my sig like forever...

Yoda: Always two there are. No more, no less. A master and an apprentice.
Mace: But which one was destroyed, the master or the apprentice?

And then the camera kinda zoomed in on Palpatine, with that eery music in the background...one of the coolest parts of the whole movie, IMO.

Jedi Master Kyle
Apr 24th, 2000, 06:03:26 PM
personally, i like the line where i invite padme and the handmaidens over to my place and...oh whoops, that scene was deleted :)

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 24th, 2000, 07:47:36 PM
I liked the lines between Anakin and Qui-Gon at the table:
Anakin: You're a Jedi Knight, aren't you?
Qui-Gon: What makes you think that?
Anakin: I saw your laser sword. Only Jedi carry that kind of weapon.
Qui-Gon: Perhaps I killed a Jedi and stole it from him.
Anakin: I don't think so. No one can kill a Jedi.
Qui-Gon: I wish that were so.
I like the forshadowing this last lines gives.
Another of my favorites
Anakin: Now this is Podracing

bronto
Apr 24th, 2000, 09:01:37 PM
Good choice Darth Dude. For me that's the funniest scene.

Darth Ronin
Apr 25th, 2000, 03:03:24 AM
just kidding. that has got to be The most grating line in the whole movie (at least for me anyways). eeugh. I don't like Anakin's line about angels either. It's unnatural (and the delivery wasn't good either)

there are so many good ones though. And I like all the ones mentioned. I find myself always mouthing the words to Sidious' lines.

My favorite would be Amidala's lines on Coruscant. I like the way're delivered. There's an incredible amount of punctuation in her voice and yet her face remains stark and almost motionless.

"I was not elected to watch my people suffer and Die while you discuss this invasion in a committee."

"I will sign no treaty Senator."

Have you noticed how many times and how many different ways someone says "we're running out of time." It's comparable to the number of times someone says "I've got a bad feeling about this" in thr original trilogy.

"Master, we're short on time."
"We're running out of time."
"Either way we're running out of time."
"We haven't much time."
"We don't have time for this, Captain."
there are others I think...

Kyp Durron
Apr 25th, 2000, 11:15:44 AM
"Did he crash yet?"

Jidai Geki
Apr 25th, 2000, 12:58:07 PM
"Your apprentice, Skywalker will be."

Darth Hez
Apr 25th, 2000, 02:22:43 PM
Well, this isn't exactly from the movie, but it is from the novel. I think it is the best Sidious line, and why it was omitted from the movie I can't think.

Its when the Neimoidians have contacted Sidious at the start, and inform him that the Chancellors ambassadors are Jedi Knights.

DOFINE: The blockade is finished! We dare not go against the Jedi.
SIDIOUS: Are you saying you would rather go against me, Dofine? I am amused. Viceroy! I don't want this stunted piece of slime to pass within my sight again.

yoda900
Apr 25th, 2000, 09:02:13 PM
I must admit that after wathing the movie last summer after about 5 times, I began to have some fun and start throwing TPM lines into the real world "for kicks" just to see if anyone would notice the lines. They did fit in with situations , but it was funny to me. Mabey I am some kind of nut.

I do like alot of the philisophocal lines that Jedi masters say for eg.
"Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffereing"
Not tpm but; "Try not, do or do not there is no try".
"I don't believe it"," That is why you fail"
"Fear, aggresion, the dard side are they, for once you start the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny"

Some of my faves are the emporer in both TPM and ROTJ, since all theones have already been taken from TPM, "OH no my young Jedi, I think you will find it is you who are mistaken, about a great many thinnnngs"
"Oh, Im afraid your freinds will die"
"Your pitiful little band is no match, An entire leigon of my best troops awats them"
Your over confidence is your weakness,"Your faith in your friends is yours"

Now TPM
- This is getting out of hand, NOw there are 2 of them
_You didn't tell him about the missing Jedi, No need to report that to him until we have something to report
-Why do I sense you picked up another Pathetic life-form
-Your thoughts dwell on your mother (my friend and I thought this would be most humerous to try in any situation, becuase people would think you are totally nuts)
-"This is so wizard Ani, I think you will do it this time, "do what?" "finish the race OF COURSE", "Youv'e never won a race?" Well , not exactly" NOt even finished", "Kitsters right I will this time" ""of course you will"

What do you mean Naked?, beep bwwon beep, "My Parts are showing, my goodness.

And many many many great more

Darth Dyzm
Apr 25th, 2000, 09:16:22 PM
Ummmm, Rrrr, Ur Under Arrest
Stupied Droids

Grand Adm Thrawn
Apr 26th, 2000, 07:28:59 AM
Just before Qui and obi fight maul

Qui gon jin: we'll handle this..

Bromine
Apr 26th, 2000, 11:44:52 PM
And "We'll go the long way." :)

Doc Milo
Apr 27th, 2000, 01:22:26 PM
My favorite Amidala line is: "I will not endorse a course of action that will lead us to war."

Then we see the invading ships landing on Naboo.

Oh, well, Amidala, seems you have no choice. :)

CMJ
Apr 27th, 2000, 11:21:23 PM
I can't believe no one mentioned....

"And young Skywalker...we will watch your career with great interest."

Nemessith
Apr 30th, 2000, 01:21:04 AM
"Fear is the path the dark side, fear leads to anger, anger lead to hate...and hate, leads to suffering"
- Yoda(in case you didn't knew:)

It was great line, not so in the movie, though it was great in it too, but in the first trailer. It worked very well in it. See for yourself

Darth Auch
May 6th, 2000, 11:23:15 PM
Ok. Come to think about it, almost any line said by Amidala or Padme is the greatest.

Another thing, I know this has been said but:
Qui-Gon: We are taking these people to Coruscant.
Battle Dorid: Where are you taking them?
Qui-Gon: To Coruscant
Battle Droid: Uhhhh..ummmm...that does not compute....You're under arrest.

And another thing that is a pretty funny visual gag:
Right after the battle with the droids the Jadi had, they are all climbing on the Nubian, and when Obi-Wan goes up the ramp, there are some droid legs still walking along. I thought it was pretty funny.

I call for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Valorum's leadership
-Darth Auch

EDUARDO
May 8th, 2000, 04:06:36 PM
Anakin, Droop!!!!!!!!
Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tell them to take off!!!!!!!!!!!!
( The desret showdown is the best sence of TPM Qui-Gon theme make me crye!!!!!!!!!)

Fardreamer
May 10th, 2000, 08:21:10 AM
.... okay here is my fav line....

w8 for it its a good one
soon
I HAVE A BAD FEELING ABOUT THIS!

=)

Admiral Vaughn
May 20th, 2000, 12:25:06 AM
"OUCH TIME"

darth morpheus
May 22nd, 2000, 08:22:06 PM