PDA

View Full Version : TPM through the eyes of children

Jedieb
May 21st, 2000, 10:00:51 PM
I recently showed TPM to a couple of 5th grade classes as a reward for them completing some pretty grueling standardized testing. I used a video projector and played my widescreen copy for them. Here are some observations:

1) Not all of them, but most of them loved it.
2) They laughed at most of Jar Jar's antics.
3) The entire class gasped when the Jedi and Jar Jar approached Gunga City. They thought it looked spectacular.
4) They loved the Pod Race.
5) They thought Maul was awesome.
6) Most of them had no idea Padme was the Queen.
7) THEY HAD NO CLUE PALPATINE WAS DARTH SIDIOUS! I was shocked! Not a single one of them picked up on it. Even my one die hard SW fan had no clue. I guess they were just too young to pick up on all of the subtle clues.

They were all grateful I brought the movie in. It was either TPM or a choice between Mulan or The Secret Garden. I gave them a vote and made a mental note of the students that voted for Mulan and The Secret Garden. They will be punished.... ;)

Jedi Master Kyle
May 21st, 2000, 10:10:36 PM
next time throw pokemon into the mix and see how the vote turns out... :)

Jedieb
May 22nd, 2000, 12:53:15 PM
Actually, a few days later we were on a field trip to Thomas Jefferson's home, Monticello. The bus had TVs and the kids once again got to choose a movie. The choices this time were Pokemon, TPM or Mulan and TPM won again! This was despite the fact they had just seen it a few days earlier. The vote was much clsoer but I was surprised nevertheless. Pokemon was the movie for the return trip.

DaBoSsNaStY
May 23rd, 2000, 04:01:40 AM
that is good to hear ... thanks for sharing that with us...

Bromine
May 25th, 2000, 12:30:35 AM
They chose TPM over Pokemon? Guess there's hope for the next generation, after all.;)