PDA

View Full Version : Slavery

Jedi Master Carr
May 24th, 2000, 01:04:54 AM
As I was watching TPM the other day, I began to wonder about what happened to all the slaves on Tatooine. In ANH you hear no mention of slavery ever, I guess one could argue they are still around, but wouldn't somebody have mentioned it. Even in the EU, no body calls the Hutts slave traders. So maybe something happens in the next two movies that affects. I can see two possibilities either Anakin does something where he frees mosts of the slaves on Tatooine and the Hutts give up on selling slaves. Another possibility is that Smuggling becomes such a lucrative business during the Empire that slavery just disappears. Anybody else have any thoughts on this question?

DarthAce
May 24th, 2000, 05:15:35 AM
Go at the "Episode2 Theroies" post...!:)

Go Mer Tonic
May 24th, 2000, 02:01:20 PM
It may not be mentioned in ANH, but it is obvious that Jabba is into slaves in ROTJ.

I just think the issue was not an important point in ANH.

You know Anakin is going to want to return to free all the slaves, but wether that liberation lasts or even takes place is up in the air.

mez7
May 24th, 2000, 04:50:29 PM
we dont even see much of tattoine besides lukes place and the cantina so we cant say theres no slavery in ANH,
just because we dont see them doesnt mean they arnt there
is someone supposed to come on and say "your slaves are here jabba" or something like that???

Jedieb
May 24th, 2000, 05:12:24 PM
In the Han Solo stories there are several references to slavery. Chewie is a former slave and Han discusses slavery with Jabba when he begins working for him. And I believe Han has a run in with some slavers in one of these novels, I'm not sure though. So it's out there, but by the time of ANH slavery is pretty much relegated to non-human species.

Bromine
May 25th, 2000, 12:21:50 AM
Also, don't forget about Jabba's dancers. I assumed they were slaves. Besides Jabba, I don't think we really see anyone in the OT that's rich enough to own slaves, anyway.

DarthAce
May 25th, 2000, 07:01:16 AM
Well there are slaves in the original saga BUT i think you are not going to see human slaves in it becouse theren't any!:)

DarthAce
May 25th, 2000, 07:05:50 AM
Well there are slaves in the original saga BUT i think you are not going to see human slaves in it becouse theren't any!:)
I think that Palmatine said to anakin/vader to free the slaves...you see the human slaves to pay back palmatine for saving them they joint and suported the empire...i also think that palmatine talked out anakin thet the jedi were BAD becouse they didn't free the slaves thereselfs!:)

mez7
May 25th, 2000, 02:31:53 PM
what about leia in ROTJ,
seems like she was jabba's slave, unless she got off on wearing that chain around her neck

Jedieb
May 25th, 2000, 05:21:46 PM
Mez, I think you've found the obvious one we all missed. I think you could count Leia as a human slave. I don't think she was wearing that outfit to get a favorable evaluation from Jabba at the end of the quarter. Let's just all be grateful that she did wear that outfit!