PDA

View Full Version : Jedi Jackpot in Episode I

Darth Ronin
May 26th, 2000, 01:42:08 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but when I watched Episode I for the first time I remember thinking that Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon hit the jackpot.

According to Ki Adi Mundi, the Sith had been extinct for over a millennia. Yoda is supposedly the oldest council member and in TPM he is only 800 years old. So, that means that NONE of the Jedi Council have Ever even seen a Sith, let alone face a Sith. It also means that (aside from saber-sparring amongst themselves), the Jdi of TPM have never actually been in a real (ie battle to the death) lightsaber battle. Which also means that the Jedi (up until TPM) had never faced an enemy with abilities comparable and worthy of them. Running into a Sith is like being hunted by a T-Rex.

With all that in consideration Obi-Wan's skill is really put in perspective, because he's never actually been put to the test until his fight with Maul. He does incredibly well all things considered. Anyone who's ever taken martial arts can attest that even though you train through the lower ranks for years and spar with your colleagues often, it's not until you actually get in a real fight that you apply everything you've learned.

I know the Jedi by nature don't crave excitement and adventure, but imgine the adrenaline rush Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan must have felt coming face to face with an enemy extinct for over a thousand years.

mez7
May 26th, 2000, 02:59:23 PM
they could have been in a fight to the death with someone of their skill
what about dark jedi??
and if you dont know what these are ill give you a few differences,
all sith are dark jedi but not all dark jedi are sith,
the sith are just a special way of training, little tricks and what not, while dark jedi are just jedi who turned to the darkside, the sith have been extict for a millenia but that doesnt mean noone has turned to the darkside, just noon has trianed in the sith arts.
since were doing dino references
the jedi are triceratops can defend and attack but will only when neccisary

since you used dino reference ill do the same

the darkjedi are the T-rex vicious, and kill when they need too

sith are Raptors will kill if they feel like it, or just for the thrill, and have more ways to kill you.

i agree that ob1 kill maul prove how good he is to beat a master, but i think hes probably see his fair share of action,
it would be like someone fighting a Van Damme level all his life then fighting a Bruce Lee level fighter

Bromine
May 26th, 2000, 08:59:13 PM
I agree with Mez.
Just an added note: The Dark Jedi obviously exist in the "canon" because Mace didn't believe Maul was a Sith, and instead referred to him as a "Dark Warrior". Since it was clear that Maul had Force abilities but was still not neccessarily a Sith, there has to be "Dark Jedi" in the canon. Not to mention the fact that I can't believe no Jedi has fallen to the Dark Side in over a millennia.

Jedi Master Kyle
May 26th, 2000, 09:33:13 PM
Sidious referred to Maul as a Sith;

"...it's out of our range"

"not for a sith, this is my apprentice darth maul."

didn't windu say that there was no doubt that the mysterious warrior was a sith?

nevertheless, i think i get what you mean bromine.

mez7
May 26th, 2000, 10:45:26 PM
maul was a sith thats not in dispute,
but they arnt the only trouble for the jedi, there are dark

and at the end of the movie mace agrees that maul was a sith, but when quigon first comes with the news he doesnt think hes a sith since theyve been "extinct" for over a millenia, so he refers to him as a "Dark Warrior" meaning that there are other dark warriors (dark jedi??) that they think could have been a match for quigon,

Bromine
May 27th, 2000, 02:05:14 AM
Yeah, that's what I meant exactly; I was just using Mace's words to show there were other Dark Jedi besides Sith, because I've heard people argue before that Dark Jedi don't exist in the canon.

Doc Milo
May 27th, 2000, 03:22:28 AM
I agree with Bromine and Mez that "Dark Jedi" do exist in canon. But I wonder if the term "Dark Jedi" will be used. I've wondered this ever since I heard Mace and the Council use the term "Dark Warrior."

Because, if you think about the term "Dark Jedi" it is really a contradiction:

A Jedi is someone who uses the light side of the Force to serve as the protectors of Peace and Justice throughout the galaxy.

By combining "Dark" with "Jedi" would we not get:

Someone who uses the dark side to serve as protectors of peace and justice throughout the galaxy.

??

That's why I've wondered if the term "Dark Jedi" will be used in Canon. Of course, I do believe that the concept of the "Dark Jedi" -- a Jedi that has fallen to the dark side, but is not a Sith -- does exist. My question is purely one of semantics.

Bromine
May 27th, 2000, 03:41:08 AM
Yes, that's a good point. Maybe they'll be referred to as "Fallen Jedi".

Jedi Master Kyle
May 27th, 2000, 11:34:08 AM
or sellouts :)

mez7
May 27th, 2000, 01:16:51 PM
i was thinking of that last night as well,
maybe after they "fall" they are no longer jedi so thats why mace called him a "dark warrior" and not dark jedi, or maybe he was just too proud to propose that a jedi can fall to the dark side.

Doc Milo
May 27th, 2000, 02:10:39 PM
This is something I wonder as well. Can a Jedi (as in a Knight, not a Padawan -- someone who has passed his trials) fall to the dark side? I can see the Padawans being susceptible (sp?) to the dark side, before facing their trials, especially if they are not ready to face the dark side and move past it. But once Knighted, can a Jedi fall? And if not, and only Padawans have fallen, even though they were part of the Jedi Order, they "were not Jedi yet." If this is the case, then "Dark Jedi" (the term) has yet another strike against it. For he or she who fell were not Jedi yet.

Of course, this then begs the question, did Anakin reach the level of Knight before falling to the dark side? (and if he did, perhaps he turned before, and was able to trick the Council into thinking he passed his trials when in fact he failed them?)

Jedieb
May 27th, 2000, 07:14:10 PM
I would think that it's quite possible for a kinght to "fall". Even a Master would be suceptible to falling to the Dark Side. Hopefully the issue of Dark Jedi or Dark Warriors will be explained more fully in EP2. I'd rather see the Jedi taken down by Dark Jedi than a bunch of bounty hunters in Mandalorian armor. I don't mind Fett and Co. knocking off a few Jedi, but not all 10,000. Hopefully, palpy will clone Maul's remains and we'll have a bunch of Dark Warriors running around taking out Jedi left and right.

mez7
May 27th, 2000, 10:03:27 PM
maul will not be coming back
lucas has said that on many many ocasions, and i think it would be cheasy for him to come back,
id rather see a couple of dark jedi led my a new apprentice instead of maul again, have the dark jedi and the apprentice causing trouble one place and then have the mandalorians causing trouble somewhere else to break up the ranks of jedi and cut them down when their in lower numbers.

but thats just how i would do it

Bromine
May 28th, 2000, 03:28:01 AM
I think there will have to be Dark Force Users (There, I made an acceptable term for them:) ) in the next Episodes if we're going to see some awesome duelling like I'm hoping for. Jedi fighting anyone is cool, but we've already seen Jedi shred enemies with blasters. Seeing them fight an army of Mandalorians or something wouldn't be anything new. We know the Jedi can whoopass against blasters.
One way to have a lot of duelling would be to have a lot of Jedi fall to the Dark side throught the movies, all of a sudden turning on their friends.