PDA

View Full Version : The choice is yours alone...

yuvalb
Jun 1st, 2000, 09:13:33 AM
The Choice is yours alone
“It’s a story of a boy, a girl and a universe…”, as a trailer to a small film, released on 1977 states. That “small movie” is, of course, STARWARS, ANH.
If you’re in this site and you are reading these lines, I’m gonna take a bet you know what went on from that day forth. By heart.
Most people and most articles published from that day ‘till today (like most people coming out of theaters after watching yet another re-release of one of the episodes), are all dealing, dealt and will deal with the same questions – What will happen next?
How can you explain this or that, and, of course, “how does he come up with this stuff”?
The answers to all of these questions, much like the questions themselves, are not the real issue and are not dealing with the main idea - what is the essence of star wars and why did it catch the way it did?
The answer to this question, and to the main idea behind all of the saga, could be found in the best episode to-date (in my opinion), The Empire Strikes Back. In one of the key scenes of the saga, The Cave Scene, Lucas displays the idea behind star wars in the easiest way he could think of – Inside each and every one of us there is good and then there’s bad, and both make a hole. A certain reality is presented before you and it could go either way, the choice is yours alone, but what matters most is the way you approach the choice, rather than the choice itself. If you’ll start the process with power, fear and impuissance, you’ll be hurt, no matter the outcome. But if you’ll decide to make a the choice in your heart, based on full self-belief and calmness, any decision you’ll make, will make you feel better, stronger and more adjusted.
Yoda, accept throwing some advises here and there, was careful not to reveal and explain to much, and he let Luke understand things by himself.
He tells him he wont need to take a weapon to the cave but Luke does anyway; He quickly attacks “Vader” and is upolled to see his own face inside Vader’s helmet.
We see, though the 3 movies of the first trilogy (the first that was released, that is) the growing stages of Luke’s soul, until he finally becomes a Jedi.
In ANH we are presented to a young, impuissant and arrogant boy who wants to learn but seems to always rush OB1, as if saying “Ya, well – get on with it…”; He acts as if he knows everything there is to know, and not until the moment he manages to destroy the first Death Star (with the help of The Force and OB1), when he realizes he doesn’t know anything yet.
In TESB, he begins to learn but we can see that the most important base one can have – is missing. He lakes self-confidence (“No ! Try Not! Do – or DO NOT; There is no try”), and because of that he fails.
The most interesting thing in his training is that Yoda (and OB1) are both functioning as advisers, rather than his teachers – and by that, leaving all of the important decisions to Luke himself. Luke’s arrogance is vaporizing until it completely gone in ROTJ, and in the same process, Luke reaches his mature stage, and thus he becomes a true Jedi.
The strongest message is : It doesn’t matter how many wise and good-hearted people you meet in the course of your life, the choice is yours alone.
Every person, in the second he reaches maturity and metal balance, while giving up arrogance, lake of listening to things around him and lake of fate gains self-confidence, balance and clear-mind, thus – becoming a Jedi himself.
The LightSaber (as the rest of the Jedi powers) are functioning like “visual aids” to illustrate the power of that Jedi (whether good or bad), his strong self-belief and above everything – his peace of mind.
I don’t know about you – but I still got a long way to go, but I’m getting there…

yuvalb
Jun 3rd, 2000, 05:07:14 AM
how about that?

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 3rd, 2000, 10:53:07 AM
all i know is that if i'm in a fight with a sith/emperor, the one thing i don't do is throw away my lightsaber!!!

87FOXGT
Jun 3rd, 2000, 04:24:47 PM
very well said yuvalb !

Jedieb
Jun 3rd, 2000, 08:33:00 PM
Nice post yuvalb. :)

I loved growing up with the original trilogy. And I hope these next films are affecting kids today the way SW influenced me when I was young.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 3rd, 2000, 09:13:58 PM
i think nowadays the only thing that influences kids is limp bizkit, korn and slipknot. maybe i'm not giving them enough credit, but that's the way i see things...

RHJediKnight
Jun 3rd, 2000, 10:36:25 PM
Ahem, I'm 16, ya know, a teenager, one of those people supposedly only being affected by all that. 1) Limp Bizkit, Korn, Eminem, etc. suck bigtime...in fact just about the whole music world today sucks bigtime... 2) Who/what the heck is Slipknot?

And I was born just a couple months after ROTJ was released, and I never really watched a Star Wars movie where I was simply awed until January 1997. In fact, I wasn't even a Star Wars fan until ANHSE came out in '97. I guess seeing the Star Wars movies the right way, on the big screen, for the first time brought out the diehard fan in me....

Brad Kan Obi So Cool
Jun 3rd, 2000, 11:18:11 PM
Well, I'm 15, and 100% agree with what was said above by RHJediKnight. Teens are ridden by a stereotypical image as idiots and mindless fools who listen to crappy music. The only good music around nowadays is Jazz and SW SDTRKS.

Bromine
Jun 4th, 2000, 02:36:36 PM
Yes, if you think kids all behave like the ones on MTV then you're sadly mistaken. Although, a good number of kids DO behave like that, unfortunately. This has lead to a generealisation that all kids wear outlandish clothing and can''t understand any word over 2 syllables. In truth, I think kids like that are just more noticeable, though not in the majority.

Brad Kan Obi So Cool
Jun 4th, 2000, 03:54:53 PM
The news and newspapers only show that, "Teen Pregnancy Rates are up 10%" or "Teens convicted of robbery", they don't show "Teens help out at local shelter" or "Teens form investment club with returns over 50%." Channels like MTV, VH1, and E! are all manipulations of the minds of the public. I can't say that I have ever chosen to watch any of the channels since I've been alive.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 4th, 2000, 04:55:20 PM
sorry guys, i was exaggerating. but i was also referring to kids that are even younger than 15 and 16. i was talking about kids in the 5th and 6th grades. i live near alot of elementary schools and there are alot of kids that are all about that stuff, but i was still exaggerating my point, to the point of sarcasm.

yuvalb
Jun 7th, 2000, 11:19:19 AM
but i think the choice is yours to take !

yuvalb
Jun 8th, 2000, 03:57:35 PM
and i'm going to take the right path...