PDA

View Full Version : who felt a little cheated by E1?

Jake Byers
Jun 7th, 2000, 12:15:20 AM
I loved Episodes 4-6. My brother and i awaited (along with you) the new movie E1 (duh!).

I just thought that little Darth Vadar acidently blowing up the place for the end of the movie sucked.

That shows no force what so ever!

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 7th, 2000, 12:21:43 AM
i did feel cheated, i wanted more at the time of release. now i've realized that it is just one small part of a really big picture. after all that waiting, however, i don't think anything would have been "enough". but i still do feel that TPM could have been better (as all movies could in some way no matter how small.) now i love the movie and watch it on VHS very frequently, even more frequently than the OT.

Brad Kan Obi So Cool
Jun 7th, 2000, 12:37:30 AM
I think in 6 years, we will look back, and realize how great TPM really was.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 7th, 2000, 10:35:53 AM
very true. i'm already starting to feel that way. and when we've all got kids, and jarjar becomes their fave character, maybe we'll appreciate him more. maybe not :D

Doc Milo
Jun 7th, 2000, 01:05:01 PM
Plus, a lot of fans have been judging TPM (one movie) against the original trilogy (three movies)

Of course it is going to fall short! It's like comparing an entire novel to the first chapter of another.

Brad Kan Obi So Cool
Jun 7th, 2000, 02:46:54 PM
exactly, plus, TPM was more of a building block than anything. It didn't have a Death Star, a Darth Vader, Star Destroyers, an Emperor, etc. It was the PHANTOM Menace, a philisophical type of title, that is more mental than physical.

87FOXGT
Jun 7th, 2000, 03:03:20 PM
i have only been exposed to star wars for a few years now. beleive it or not i did not know ANYTHING about star wars until i saw the preview for TPM and that got me curoius about it. i had a friend who was a big fan and had the OT on vhs so one day i stayed over night and watched the whole trilogy back to back to back. it was one week b4 TPM came out in theatres. i was 18yrs old at the time heh. anyways, i was blown away with the star wars concept in general and i could not wait until TPM came out. i became obsessed and stumbled my way onto this cool site and have learned soo much more thanks to you guys :) the thing i realized when i saw TPM is that it has alot of scenes that from just watching this one movie seem like normal scenes but in the future could be looked upon as symbolizing many other things. for example when mace windu said to qui gon "no he shall not be trained" anakin gave mace an EVIL look which most people wouldnt give a second thought because they just assume that he was just mad which he obviously was. now i BET YOU that in ep ii or iii anakin will be the one that kills mace because of his memory of what happened that day. heh guys i dont think its really possible to realize just how great TPM is yet because the other two prequels arent there to compliment it YET :) just wait and see and one day we will all be here saying "oh i never realized that scene in TPM meant or hinted that this or that would happen in ep 2/3 like it did" there are many things that we wont realize from TPM no matter how many times over we watch it until we have the next two episodes to reflect upon it. having said all that CMON EPISODE 2 GET HERE !!! :)

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 7th, 2000, 03:32:37 PM
very possible, your theory about anakin & mace. i hope that George doesn't decide to use flashbacks in the new trilogy to remind us of certain things. i think that it would be out of place in the whole scope of the saga.

just try to enjoy the wait until episode 2, because before you know it, it'll be over, and then episode 3 will be here, then it'll be all over and then we'll really have something to bellyache about.

Bromine
Jun 7th, 2000, 04:13:48 PM
I pretty much agree with everything said here. After waiting YEARS for the prequels, spending MONTHS following the press releases and spoilers, and HOURS (in some cases, DAYS) waiting for tickets, there's no way ANY movie could completely satisfy the anticipation. I was so psyched by the time the movie started that NOTHING would have completely satisfied me, although it came awful close.

Brad Kan Obi So Cool
Jun 7th, 2000, 10:31:41 PM
It was not enough for me, but I knew it wouldn't be. It was too hard, it would've had to be immaculate and perfection. I do admit it was pretty close.

Jedi Master Carr
Jun 8th, 2000, 12:37:14 AM
That was the main problem with the film, the hype, th epress had hyped it up to the point that for some it had to be perfect that is why so many people bash it. I think there will be less of a problem with this in the next film, I doubt it will be hype to that extent with people waiting in line for over a month. But for me the movie fullfilled just about every that I thought it was, and oddly enough it has become my second favorite in the saga after TESB.

Kyp Durron
Jun 8th, 2000, 02:25:47 PM
With all the hype and backlash that TPM received, I'll have to admit...$430 million domestically, and $920 million internationally...not bad, not bad at all! It's unfortunate that the internet has become "the voice of the majority." There's probably less than 10% of the population out there that actually hates TPM, and most of them probably voiced their opinions on the net. But because the internet is so accessible around the world, news spreads fast that "TPM is a bad movie," when in actuality, 90% actually liked it. Well, the backlash will probably won't get any worse come EP2 and 3. I expect it will be more well received then.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 8th, 2000, 03:11:20 PM
that's almost for certain! but i think no matter what, some people will bash star wars simply because it will garner them attention.

Jake Byers
Jun 8th, 2000, 06:43:28 PM
i didn't fall for the hype. I just knew that Anakin would be Darth Vadar someday.

I watch 4-6 and then watch E1. I just miss Harrison Ford and that gang.