PDA

View Full Version : possible spoiler topic...

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 9th, 2000, 10:00:18 PM
don't say i didn't warn you...

does anyone think that the possibilty of flashbacks in episode 2 would ROYALLY SUCK? i certainly think so. i think they'd be totally out of place. i don't think we need reminders of what happened in episode 1, no matter how subtle they were. especially, for example if they refer to anakin's peeved glare at mace. unless they refer to an event that took place before episode 1, in which case i think it should have been included in episode 1 somehow.
or another example would be if they're escaping tatooine with shmi and they flashback to the part about transmitters.

but who knows, maybe i'll be pleasantly surprised, but right now i'm VERY skeptical of these flashbacks.

87FOXGT
Jun 9th, 2000, 11:39:20 PM
wait is this just a rumor that GL might use flashbacks in EP 2 or is it fact? cause youre right that would royally SUCK if he did. its just something thats not necessary IMO.

Bromine
Jun 10th, 2000, 12:41:00 AM
I guess it would depend on how it was done, but I can't imagine flashbacks to scenes from Episode 1 being good. Sort of like a corny murder mystery movie, when in the final scene they flashback to point out the clues that tell you who the murderer is. I've never seen flashbacks to previous scenes used effectively.

Unless, of course, they flash back to events long before Episode 1, like a cloning facility where Anakin is being made, or something like that. Even then, I think it would probably be lame.

ReaperFett
Jun 10th, 2000, 08:33:27 AM
apparentley there will be.

I don't know, it will depend. I would like to see Anakins earlier training

I have this image of Anakin and Obi wan making the screen go bak like in Waynes World :)

ReaperFett
Jun 10th, 2000, 08:34:14 AM
3 Kings flasbacks worked BTW

mez7
Jun 10th, 2000, 05:44:36 PM
i think flash backs of the time between TPM and EP2 would be alright,
just to kind of show whats been going on for the last 10 years or so

Probe Droid
Jun 10th, 2000, 06:10:53 PM
What the hell are you talking about? Explain!

Doc Milo
Jun 11th, 2000, 03:09:37 AM
Where'd you hear that flashbacks would be used in Episode II? I would tend to doubt it, since the narrative has thus far (through all four movies) refrained from using any kind of flashbacks.

I don't think flashbacks -- whether they be to remind us of the events of TPM (not necessary), or flashing back to a point in Anakin's life between TPM and EP2 -- would fit in with the structure Lucas has already established. Lucas uses the crawl to "update" us with information we need to know that came before. I don't think any kind of flashbacks would work, be necessary, or even fit in with the existing SW story structure.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 11th, 2000, 01:55:22 PM
check out this. more spoilers here though! this is from tf.n where they talk more about the flashbacks...

I [Ben] just read your news in the Episode II section about 11-year old Tupoutahi Winitana possibly playing a "younger" version of an adult character who may be played by Temuera Morrison.

Remember the following interview with Jake Lloyd from Canada's "Entertainment Lifestyle Magazine" back in May? Jake Lloyd spoke about his future films and gave ANOTHER possible hint toward Episode II flashbacks...

"I don't know whether or not I'm going to be in the next Star Wars movie. An older actor will be playing Anakin, but there might be some flashbacks. George Lucas hadn't even written the script for Phantom Menace until we did the table reading, so there is always a chance."
So it's certainly possible that Lucas will do something similar to what he did with "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" where at the beginning of the film, they used River Phoenix to play the "young" Indy in a flashback, and then jumped to the "present" and showed Harrison Ford as the adult Indiana Jones.

And let's not forget that *cloning* might result in a younger version of an established character. "Real" clones would be grown at the same rate a normal person would grow & not stamped out of a cookie cutter machine.

Doc Milo
Jun 11th, 2000, 02:20:04 PM
I read that. I have to say that it's not very convincing a rumor. Sounds to me like Jake just wants to continue to be in the movies :)

At least, I hope it's not true. I think flashbacks in Star Wars would seem out of place...

Darth Hez
Jun 11th, 2000, 05:13:59 PM
Sounds to me like wishful thinking on young Jakes part. I may be wrong on this, but didn't he play a part in the TV series Pretender, where he played the young pretender in flashbacks? This might mean he is used to playing parts in flashbacks, and sees them as fairly normal. I would have thought Lucas would just use the crawl to update us with any major developments.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 11th, 2000, 10:10:40 PM
let's hope that he sticks to the crawl to update us!