PDA

View Full Version : Old, But GREAT news, long post here...

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 16th, 2000, 05:53:45 PM
<font color="yellow">The Campaign has closed...success!

Following the disappointment and ongoing controversy over the announcement by Lucasfilm that there would be no DVD release of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace on DVD for the foreseeable future, DVDFILE, The Digital Bits and Digital Man Interactive have teamed up to issue an open letter to George Lucas. This letter originally appeared in the Monday, January 24th issue of Daily Variety, and can be read in its entirety here.

After the petition ramped up and publicity of the ad ensued, we received a terrific number of SUPPORTERS, and Lucasfilm accepted our request to submit ten questions and also issued us a first response to the campaign.

But, finally, after over two months and 30,000+ signtures collected, George Lucas and Lucasfilm officially confirmed that DVDs of the Star Wars films are in production. The STAR WARS buzz-o-meter went on overdrive following a surprise radio appearance by George Lucason Los Angeles' modern rock station KROQ. Lucas, who is currently prepping EPISODE II, due to begin filming in Australia this June, took a break from his current race car duties to phone in and chat with "Kevin and Bean". And of course, the inevitable question "So when's STAR WARS coming to DVD?" was asked. While Lucas did mention that a DVD of THE PHANTOM MENACE would be coming, though the exact transcript of Lucas' quotes was never revealed.

We spoke with Lucasfilm representative Jeannie Cole, who was able to share the current state of the progress on STAR WARS DVDs, the rumors on possible content of the discs, as well as any known timetables for their release. "Yes, Lucasfilm has officially begun work on DVDs for the STAR WARS films," Ms. Cole explained, but it is still far too soon to know which film(s) will be released when and what the content will be. "It is up to George (Lucas) to decide the content of the discs," and "they will not be released in 2000, nor is there any firm date beyond this year." However, Cole did dispel some of the notions of further alternations or extensive new footage appearing on any upcoming DVD releases: "Any rumors of new digitally-created scenes or other extensive digital alterations are false."

While it is certainly good news for DVD fans that at least the preliminary stages for a DVD release of one or all of the STAR WARS films is underway, being the good little Padawans we are here at DVDFILE, we had to wonder, did the recent web outcry and press on the lack of a DVD release of THE PHANTOM MENACE have anything to do with George's recent comments? And more importantly to us here (cue self-serving back patting), did our recent STAR WARS On DVD Campaign with The Digital Bits help bring George's attention to the issue? "Absolutely" laughed Cole. "Just like the THX slogan 'The Audience Is Listening'. We're listening, and George is listening."

In light of the recent developments, we were then even more gratified to subsequently be asked by Lucasfilm to deliver all the signatures and moments we accumulated through the campaign to them, and they will be brought Mr. Lucas' personal attention. In addition to the 30,000 plus signatures already acquired, we've also been asked by Lucasfilm to highlight the top 50 or so comments we feel best sum up the entire petition as well. We will also be including a list of every supporting web site, as this was definitely a group effort!

We'll be cleaning up all the signatures, and will select about 50 comments to highlight. While it was only through the efforts of all involved and everyone who signed that made it a success, and certainly the entire reaction of the web and the press helped bring even more attention to the issue, I truly believe in the end it is you who make the most difference. I certainly hope the campaign proved that what the consumer has to say does matter and can be heard if organized, and regardless of when any STAR WARS DVDs actually arrive, just the fact that the campaign brought more attention to the issue makes it even more of a success than I ever thought it would be.
</font>

we pretty much knew this already, but did you know it because of <font color="red">30000+</font> signatures? now i feel part of something special! *sniff* George really does care...

DarthAce
Jun 17th, 2000, 03:12:05 AM
yes he does!:(

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 17th, 2000, 12:24:16 PM
darth ace, why the frown?

DarthAce
Jun 18th, 2000, 09:05:44 AM
:( was an error , I really mean :)

Brad Kan Obi So Cool
Jun 18th, 2000, 04:32:32 PM

ReaperFett
Jun 22nd, 2000, 02:10:09 AM
still doubt a petition changed his mind. It says not a date, so what has changed.

His Trilogy - His Choice

DarthAce
Jun 23rd, 2000, 07:29:40 AM
BUT WE ARE THE funs!:)

Bromine
Jun 23rd, 2000, 03:41:04 PM
I also doubt the petition did anything. I mean, it was obvious everyone wanted a DVD release. LFL didn't need a petition to tell them that, did they?

ReaperFett
Jun 23rd, 2000, 04:07:16 PM
Something I posted 2 months ago. My opinion:

I need to say this, I have to get it out of my system. About the DVD. I am British, and have had a DVD for some time. Since then I haven't bought a video. Until TPM. Many have said they will boycott the video. I don't give a monkeys.
Do you know what I hate? Bad DVD's. You Americans got great DVD's for Armageddon. Ya know what we got? A god damn flipper with no extras. I love armageddon, but I refuse to buy that. I don't care WHEN the DVD is released, provided the DVD is awesome. VHS costs less. I don't like VHS anymore, but I aint buying any cruddy DVD. I'd rather wait

Bromine
Jun 23rd, 2000, 04:13:25 PM
I agree 100%.
GL was kinda stuck by the fact that if he waits, he gets a bunch of fans all whining and screaming for a DVD NOW, and if he releases it right away, people complain it's cruddy and wasn't worth buying.