PDA

View Full Version : Amidala Death

yuvalb
Jun 3rd, 2000, 02:22:04 PM
When and who will Amidala find her death?

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 3rd, 2000, 02:43:20 PM
in my opinion, she won't die in the movies, but possibly we'll be led to believe that she will die soon because of some kind of sickness she "acquired".

Doc Milo
Jun 3rd, 2000, 03:25:54 PM
I agree that IF Amidala dies at all, she will die some time between ep3 and ANH, and we will not know of it -- why or how.

I say IF Amidala dies, because if left vague, the EU may take that in different directions -- what if, for example, Amidala does not die, but leaves Alderaan with instructions to Bail and his wife to tell Leia that she died (to keep her safe, of course) and then Amidala goes out on her own and is never heard from again...

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 3rd, 2000, 03:50:01 PM
i definetly hope that we at least have a good idea of what happens to amidala at the end of episode 3. i like your idea, doc. that she'll split and say to never tell anyone that she is alive. i can picture the end of episode 3 with obi wan, amidala, yoda, and the twins recovering after escaping with their lives. amidala perhaps stays on dagobah with yoda, and sends obi wan to drop the children off at their respective drop-off spots. and right before the end credits, obi wan standing with luke under the twin suns of tatooine. just thinking about the end of the saga for about 5 minutes brings about literally endless possibilities!!!! what an agonizing wait!

Jidai Geki
Jun 5th, 2000, 04:44:06 PM
I brought this up a while back, and got some interesting responses. I'll combine my own with the ideas of one of the other posters to offer a really cool version of what COULD happen.

Knowing that Anakin has turned to the dark side, and fearing for her children, Amidala reluctantly opts to have her children separated and spirited away. Leia obviously winds up with the Organas, and Luke would be trusted to the Queen's Jedi protector (Uncle Owen) and her most trusted handmaiden (Aunt Beru). "Owen" and "Beru" would take off with Luke, and Obi-wan would see Leia safely delivered to the Organa family before his return to deliver the Queen into hiding.

However, before Obi-wan's return, Vader would find the Queen. Knowing how strong in the force his son is, he demands that Luke be delivered to him. The Queen refuses. Knowing how important Luke is for Vader and the Emperor, she will not give her son up to them. Palpatine would enter into the situation, and attempt to "coax" the info from her, but to no avail. Palpy would then proceed to kill her in the same manner that he attempted to kill Luke in ROTJ. She would beg for Anakin to help her, as Luke does in ROTJ, but again, to no avail. This is when Anakin crosses the point of no return and truly becomed Vader to the core. This would also precipitate the duel between Anakin and Obi-wan once Kenobi learns of Anakin's hand in the Queesn's death.

yuvalb
Jun 7th, 2000, 11:16:21 AM
owen was a jedi? and stormtroppers burned him alive?

Doc Milo
Jun 7th, 2000, 12:57:41 PM
Plus, Leia has to be old enough to remember her real mother...

And Anakin, nor the Emperor, knows that Anakin had any children. They don't discover that Anakin had any children until some time between ANH and ESB.

yuvalb
Jun 8th, 2000, 03:59:42 PM
i like the part where you say palpy. will kill amidala and anakin won't do nothing. but if they knew and didn't find out, they wouldn't have stopped - and they wouldn'ty have waited 30+ years to meet Luke - unless they though there's no one else to ask (all of the jedi dead / in hiding)...

Jidai Geki
Jun 12th, 2000, 03:48:56 PM
Okay, the Owen thing could work. Now remember that in ANH, Owen wants Luke to have no part in getting involved with going to the academy or getting involved with the struggle against the Empire. Remember, Obi-wan tells him that Owen felt Anakin should not have gotten involved, yada, yada, yada. Again, we are dealing witht a certain point of view.

It is possible that Owen was once a Jedi who became disillusioned with the order and the republic, the whole political machine, once the Empire had begun to take over. It is possible that since the Jedi were annihilated, he lost his faith and belief in the ways of the Jedi and swore only to raise and protect Luke from harm and keep him from becoming involved in the events that consumed his father. (Remember the look he gives Beru at the dinner table) And it would also explain why he so disdains Obi-wan, who wants to train Luke as a Jedi so that he may fulfill his destiny.

As for the stormtroopers flaming him: A. we never saw the battle, so we don't know that he did not fight back. B. Jedi are not supermen. Their skill requires dedicated practice and focus. Even a master samurai loses his touch if he hasn't practiced in years. The same would hold true for a Jedi. It is possible. It is very, very possible that this COULD be how Owen and Beru tie in.

Bromine
Jun 12th, 2000, 04:39:27 PM
I'm not sure about the Jedi angle, but Owen and Beru definitely appear to know the whole story of Luke and his father. These two characters are two of the few minor characters from the OT that MUST be developede further for the saga to make sense.

RHJediKnight
Jun 12th, 2000, 07:15:27 PM
What always boggled me was that Darth Vader, Anakin Skywalker himself, didn't get the first clue when he first heard the name "Luke Skywalker." :rolleyes:

Or is that explained in the EU or did I just miss something?

Bromine
Jun 12th, 2000, 07:27:38 PM
Maybe Skywalker is a common name, like "Smith"?:) Plus, when did he ever hear Luke's name?

Doc Milo
Jun 12th, 2000, 08:39:28 PM
I'd say that's exactly when Vader "got the first clue." He never hears Luke's first or last name in ANH at all. All he knows are a bunch of rebels are on the Death Star and that Obi-Wan is with them. I'd say he learns Luke's name after he blows up the Death Star, some time between ANH and ESB, and that's when he becomes obsessed with finding Luke, because he put the clues together and realizes Luke is his son.

RHJediKnight
Jun 12th, 2000, 09:30:06 PM
I didn't say he heard his name in ANH, sheesh, gimme at least a tiny bit of credit guys...please?

Bromine
Jun 12th, 2000, 10:36:53 PM
RH - I thought he DID get the clue from Luke's last name, didn't he?

DarthAce
Jun 13th, 2000, 02:36:29 AM

RHJediKnight
Jun 13th, 2000, 10:30:06 AM
Yes, that's how he pieced it all together.

gft2000
Jun 14th, 2000, 02:41:59 PM
Owen Lars is Obi-Wan Kenobi's brother. He changed his name to protect Luke. That is why he acts so strangely when Luke tells him of OB1 and Vader.

Bromine
Jun 14th, 2000, 04:51:28 PM
But if HE changed his name to protect Luke, why didn't LUKE change his name? You'd think "Skywalker" would have been as conspicuous as "Kenobi".

Doc Milo
Jun 14th, 2000, 07:45:06 PM
How many people on this back water planet of Tatooine even know that Vader was once a Skywalker -- or how many people in the EMPIRE even know that Vader was once Anakin Skywalker? We're assuming that the name Skywalker would ring bells with people who would then report to Vader and Vader would come a-lookin'.

But really, would it -- would he? If Vader knew he had children and was actively looking for them, then maybe he'd have some kind of alert out to all Imperial agents to report if they found anyone named Skywalker or Nabiere. But since he didn't know he had children, he wasn't looking for children, why would anyone even be concerened about anyone named Skywalker. To them, Skywalker may be the name of some famous Jedi Knight who died during the clone wars, or it may not even be recognizable at all, for the Jedi seem to have been forgotten...

Bromine
Jun 14th, 2000, 08:06:08 PM
I agree with you, Doc, but what I'm wondering is why Owen would go to the trouble of changing his name if Luke didn't? The point I'm going for is that I don't think Owen changed his name.

Doc Milo
Jun 14th, 2000, 10:35:50 PM
I agree. I don't think Owen changed his name either. For all we know, Kenobi might not be the name Obi-Wan was born with. Or Owen could be Obi-Wan's half brother, with different fathers...(Of course, assuming that Lucas won't change the novelization and Owen is Obi-Wan's brother at all.)

But then, Vader might be looking for someone named Kenobi. But that would beg the question: Why didn't Obi-Wan change his name?

I don't think anyone changed their names, though.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 14th, 2000, 10:40:11 PM
sometimes i wonder if it's worth discussing at all! :lol: this is getting so confusing!

Aprentize
Jun 21st, 2000, 03:03:48 PM
Owen is OB1s brother, but never according to Lucas. He did right it in some draft of ROTJ, but he choose to eliminate it. WHY? Maybe because he had other plans for Owen, wich we might see in EP2 or 3.....

By the way, someone wrote above me somewhere that Vader might be looking for someone named Skywalker or NABERIE. Why naberie? Thats amidalas middle name. Her name is Padme Naberrie Amidala. So why look for that?

Doc Milo
Jun 21st, 2000, 03:19:47 PM
I wrote that. Because Anakin knew her (so far) as Padme Nabierre. I may be wrong, but I thought Padme Nabierre was her ALIAS, not really her name. And thus as an ALIAS might be used again to hide her children.

But I said he WASN'T looking for anyone. There is no conflict because Vader doesn't know he has kids. No one is looking for anyone named Skywalker. It's not common knowledge that Vader is a Skywalker. So: Why would anyone report or turn in someone named Skywalker to the Empire -- since there is no reason to think that the Skywalker name is a "wanted" name.

I've noticed that a lot of people ask questions about things that they think are conflicts based on what THEY know about the movie, disregarding the POV of the CHARACTERS in the movie, and their limited knowledge. We have to remember that WE know more than the characters in the movies.

We know that Vader had kids. Vader doesn't.

We know that Anakin Skywalker is Darth Vader. The people of the galaxy don't.

Because we know these things, we then wonder why Vader didn't find Luke because Luke's name is Skywalker, not realizing that our judgements are based on things WE know that the CHARACTERS don't. If Vader doesn't know he had kids, he won't be looking for them. If the population of the galaxy doesn't know that Vader is a Skywalker, then the name Skywalker will mean nothing to them. Those two combined means that Vader will not just "find" Luke because his name is Skywalker.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 21st, 2000, 04:41:47 PM
it's like i said, he found luke's name on the galactic internet, and then became obsessed. you can find everything on the net!!!

Darth Malbona
Jun 23rd, 2000, 04:41:56 PM
I am new to this board but I thought I would add my 2 cents. This is a theory that I have not seen anywhere. Maybe owen is Anakin's half-brother. Maybe his mother had relations and got married after Anakin left. Or Beru could be the half sister but with Owen's reactions, it would be more likely that he is related to Anakin.

Bromine
Jun 23rd, 2000, 04:48:51 PM
That's an interesting thought. The way Owen disapproves of Obi-Wan and the Jedi, he must be related or involved somehow.

Aprentize
Jun 26th, 2000, 11:56:33 AM
And that would also mean that Luke is using the term UNCLE by all means! Maybe its eaven so that Luke KNOWS that owen and anakin are sibblings, eaven though he thinks that anakin is dead.....

Doc Milo
Jun 26th, 2000, 01:36:07 PM
It could also be that Owen is a good friend of Amidala and Anakin's (after they are married but before Anakin turns) and a fellow warrior during the Clone Wars. After Anakin turns, he may blame Obi-Wan for Anakin's turn to the dark side. Then when Amidala asks him and his wife to flee somewhere with Luke and take care of him, Obi-Wan suggests Tatooine as a good, out of the way place, and they go off together. For the sake of Amidala and Luke, he follows Obi-Wan there, but he will not put up with Obi-Wan living with them. Obi-Wan wants to stay as close as possible (and it's a good idea he not live with them anyway, so as not to attract any undue attention) so he goes off and lives as a hermit.

Owen, wanting to protect Luke, and now coming to love the child as a father, sees Obi-Wan as someone to protect Luke from -- because he fears if Luke ever follows the path Obi-Wan would have him follow, he may wind up just as his father did...

Or ... maybe Owen is Kitster :)

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 26th, 2000, 01:43:11 PM
i think kitser's a bit too young to play owen, ain't he? owen is around 60 in ANH.

Doc Milo
Jun 26th, 2000, 01:53:10 PM
Maybe he just didn't age well :)

Anyway, the Kitster remark was a joke. It seems a lot of people want Kitster to be someone in the OT, so I just thought I'd add to the list :)

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 26th, 2000, 02:51:57 PM
yeah, sorry i knew you were kidding, i just forgot the all important
smiley face :) aren't those little emoticons so vital in conveying the tone of your post???

Doc Milo
Jun 26th, 2000, 06:20:28 PM
Yep! One should never be skimpy with the smiley faces
:)