PDA

View Full Version : new role announced! possible spoiler.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 28th, 2000, 09:47:58 PM
read ahead...

that joel edgerton guy is playing uncle owen!! so we have a name to a face, and it's a good match, but my problem with it is that this edgerton guy is too young to be owen in episode 2, unless they plan to age him with make up and such. he looks to be maybe 25, and episode 2 is only 20 years off from ANH. here's a comparison:
http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/news/2000/26/img/owne_new.jpg</img>http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/news/2000/26/img/owne_old.jpg</img>

Bromine
Jun 29th, 2000, 12:02:05 AM
I think you're right; he looks a little too young. I'm guessing Uncle Owen is at least 50-55 in ANH, which would make him 30-35 in Ep2.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 29th, 2000, 12:07:08 AM
i would say owen in ANH was 60. at least phil brown was. he's 83 now, ANH was in '77, shot in '76. so he was 58-59 during filming. This guy will definetly need some work to make him look older...i'll try to find a bio on him to find out how old he really is...

Bromine
Jun 29th, 2000, 12:14:09 AM
60 sounds more like it. Although I was taking into consideration he was working as a farmer in a very harsh climate, so that might have aged him somewhat.

Hey, I just thought of a new theory...what if Owen is Boba Fett?:) We never see them together at the same time!

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 29th, 2000, 12:18:20 AM
then who's corpses are at the farm? stripped nekkid stormtroopers? :)

Bromine
Jun 29th, 2000, 12:48:29 AM
Boba Fett always carries a spare charred corpse in his armour, just above the knee-pad rocket launchers and to the right of the wookie scalps.;)

DarthAce
Jun 29th, 2000, 01:32:52 AM
Boba may be the clone of.....maybe?

Darth McBain
Jun 29th, 2000, 10:29:35 AM
I agree with you Bromine. I'd be willing to bet if you spent your whole life on Tatooine you'd age pretty quickly. It isn't exactly a lush environment... Plus I always had the impression that Owen was "world-weary", like he'd seen a lot of things he's trying to put behind him. He knows about Luke and his father, and it saddens him ("thats what I'm afraid of...", and he also seems to know about Obi-Wan's exploits ("that wizard's just a crazy old man", and "your uncle wouldn't allow it, he'd be afraid you'd embark on some idealistic crusade like your father did...") Given that, I think it is safe to say that the environment and stress could have aged Owen. I do think that the face is a good one - looks to be good match with the Owen we know and love...

ReaperFett
Jun 29th, 2000, 10:38:58 AM
God, he looks similar

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 29th, 2000, 11:32:42 AM
here's a pic of phil brown when he was about 33 years old. at least that's pretty accurate give or take 2 years<he's the guy on the left:

http://www.philbrown.com/gallery/pics/53phil.jpg</img>
now compare it with joel edgerton:
http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/news/2000/26/img/owne_new.jpg</img>

they don't look similar there, but somehow edgerton still looks perfect for the role.

Doc Milo
Jun 29th, 2000, 01:39:13 PM
About the age of Owen -- who would you say is older, Obi-Wan or Owen? I always assumed Obi-Wan. In the SW Encyclopedia, they list Obi-Wan as 60 in ANH.

So I'd say that makes Owen in his early to mid fifties, maybe even late forties, depending upon how much the climate of Tatooine and working as a farmer has aged him. So if ep2 takes place 22 years before ANH, then in ep2, Owen would have to be between 25 and 35. I think this guy looks between those ages, more towards the younger side of those ages, but I think it still works, even without any artificial aging.

DarthAce
Jun 29th, 2000, 01:51:15 PM
maybe!:)

SebulbaStar
Jun 29th, 2000, 04:32:16 PM
That picture on the first post (very top) might of been taken a few years ago, so he might be much older looking by now...usually the make-up artists work their magic to make an actor look older, so I would'nt worry to much, look what they did with Liam Neeson as Qui-Gon Jinn, he was wearing a fake beard, facial hair that looked real, but it was all fake, minus a few growth of his own for the part...so they'll age him in EPisode 2.....

later

Bromine
Jun 29th, 2000, 04:32:45 PM
That's a good point about Obi-Wan being older. Owen refers to him as a "crazy old man". It sounds strange for Owen to refer to a man just a couple years older like that.

DarthAce
Jun 30th, 2000, 02:16:41 AM
...yes!:)