PDA

View Full Version : To all those Panaka doubters

ReaperFett
Jun 27th, 2000, 02:41:53 PM
The actor who plays him is currentley on a TV program called The Bill. He is acting brilliantly!

So now, I have seen Ric Olie and Panaka as GREAT actors, but most people will still moan that they are terrible

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 27th, 2000, 03:14:34 PM
i wonder if they'll be in episode 2? i didn't mind either one of their acting. the delivery of a couple lines was weak, but i won't blame them totally...

Jidai Geki
Jun 27th, 2000, 03:28:05 PM
Though I felt that both performances would have looked better on the cutting room floor than on the scree, the ultimate responsibility for that lies with GL. He was the one who said, "print that". More bothersome than their performances, though, is that neither one of them really contributed anything meaningful to the story. They shouldn't even have been in the film, I mean movie.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 27th, 2000, 03:32:42 PM
i think that Olie is more important than Panaka. Bravo squadron needed a leader and the Queen's ship needed a pilot. Panaka seemed to me a bit too agressive to be one of the pacifistic Naboo. I won't be sorry if he's not in the next film. I just hope they don't replace him with someone else, or else i'd rather see hugh quarshie.

ReaperFett
Jun 27th, 2000, 03:37:50 PM
But the reason Star Wars is so great is because even small parts have something to play.

Olie was VERY important in EP 1 BTW. That ONE scene with Anakin explains how he can fly a spaceship

Bromine
Jun 27th, 2000, 10:55:16 PM
I sort of liked Panaka. He just didn't have a big part in TPM, unfortunately. I sympathised with the frustration evident in his voice. Here he was, in charge of guarding the Queen, and he basically had to stand around helpless.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 27th, 2000, 11:12:46 PM
yeah, he wasn't my fave, but i felt bad for him. he's been in service to the queen for god knows how long, and then the jedi drop in (literally) from out of nowhere, and all of a sudden, they're in charge of her. he must have felt very unwanted and expendable. poor panaka :(

Luke Starkiller
Jun 28th, 2000, 12:54:59 AM
Panaka won't be in Episode II. He wasn't happy with his salary in the next film, so he refused to be in it.

RHJediKnight
Jun 28th, 2000, 02:21:42 AM
Geez, why do actors whine if they don't get a big enough paycheck? The majority of them always get deals with six zeroes, so it's not like they're desperate for cash. Besides, I'd take the minimum salary if it meant I got to be part of the Star Wars saga...

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 28th, 2000, 08:31:03 AM
isn't minimim wage for actors like $500/week? I hope that's not what he was offered! I can see from his point of view why i'd refuse!

ReaperFett
Jun 28th, 2000, 09:49:15 AM
They have got someone new in the cast for security BTW.

I REALLY hope Olie is back though. It is comforting to see old faces

mez7
Jun 28th, 2000, 09:49:37 AM
do you think that panaka would be making 6 zeros??

not quite,

and i still think that hes not the greatest actor ive ever seen, not even top 10 or top 20 ive only seen him in 2 films and he was bad in both,

the problem i find with your argument for them reaperfett is that your essetially saying ive seen them be great actors so you all should think thier great actors too.
but from what i have to judge him by he just doesnt cut it,

Jedi Master Kyle
Jun 28th, 2000, 11:46:55 AM
i really doubt quarshie makes a 6 figure salary.
i agree with reaperfett about the familiar faces thing. i remember seeing ESB and ROTJ so many years ago, and it felt so good to see character that you were already so close to, whether they were good or bad.

ReaperFett
Jun 28th, 2000, 11:58:06 AM
sorry, I didnt mean that. One I mean is that many people moan about how bad Panaka/Olie are, but theu have seen little. I have seen them both in tricky acting jobs, and they are good In my opinion. Okay, Quashie may just be good once, but Brown has been excellent in TPM, Waynes World 2, Alien 3 and Lock, Stock...The series

Darth Hez
Jul 2nd, 2000, 03:43:36 PM
He wasn't happy with his salary for the next film? He can't possibly have thought that his performance in Ep1 warranted a larger one...
Besides if GL had really wanted him in ep2, like he was to play a pivotal role, then he would have had him in a cast iron contract to be in it. The fact that this wasn't the case suggests to me that GL wanted to add him on a sudden whim, and Quarshie wasn't happy with the tiny salary OR part he was being offered for it.

Bromine
Jul 2nd, 2000, 04:01:36 PM
I agree with Hez; GL would have had him in a contract for all 3 prequels if his role was important. I think it was probably a very small role, like standing beside the Queen in a few scenes, and wasn't really neccessary.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 2nd, 2000, 04:54:26 PM
how could anyone ever turn down a role in star wars???