PDA

View Full Version : Owen news- SPOILER

ReaperFett
Jul 2nd, 2000, 03:51:25 PM
It was at TF.N, and a source said that on Aussie TV it was said that Owen is Anakins FOSTER BROTHER. Being as Obi-Wan is Owens bro, does this mean Anakin is adopted?

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 2nd, 2000, 04:53:20 PM
the fact that owen and obi wan are brothers is only in the novel, it may not even stand in the movies. maybe shmi adopts while anakin is away? i think there was another report that said that they may be (ani & owen) stepbrothers. that could mean shmi had another relationship with someone else. but who that is, or even if it is important remains to be seen. just another indication of everyone being related to everyone else.

Bromine
Jul 2nd, 2000, 04:59:01 PM
That step-brother thing is interesting. But maybe we shouldn't be thinking of Shmi having another son. Maybe Anikan and Owen are related through their FATHER?

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 2nd, 2000, 06:48:00 PM
are you implying that owen is born from the force? or that shmi is a liar and she did infact get a little busy with some dude? :)

Bromine
Jul 3rd, 2000, 12:01:01 AM
I haven't a clue...just think it would be more interesting if Owen is related to this mysterious father. Maybe there were two Chosen Ones but Owen couldn't make the cut?

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 3rd, 2000, 12:02:34 AM
anakin clearly was the cuter kid. owen was relegated to moisture vaporators. sucks to be him.

JediWilliam
Jul 3rd, 2000, 01:43:18 PM
There is a series of books out called Jedi Apprentice. These books are ratified by Lucas, so I hear, and in them, the has been one reference to Obi wans brother, Owen, who has remained on there home planet to be a farmer.

Bromine
Jul 3rd, 2000, 02:10:42 PM
Really? That's cool. I know people are going to jump in and say EU isn't considered "canon", but the fact that LFL approved of this after TPM (when, presumably, they knew who Owen would be in Episode 2) makes be believe it's true.
Does Obi-Wan have any contact with his family, though? Jedi are apparently taken away from their families at a young age.

JediWilliam
Jul 3rd, 2000, 03:35:23 PM
I'll have to go back and read it again but I think that they mention Obi-wan going to visit his family once or twice while he and qui-gon weren't on a mission. They didn't describe any of the vacation they just said that he went.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 3rd, 2000, 04:30:10 PM
that's interesting. owen and obi are bros, anakin and owen are semi bros somehow. does that make obi and ani related? ugh!

Doc Milo
Jul 3rd, 2000, 04:37:25 PM
Maybe they become such good friends, that they just consider themselves brothers.

Like if you have a lifelong friend you consider a brother, even though he isn't legally your brother, you may call him your Foster Brother, or something. :)

ravishing jedi
Jul 3rd, 2000, 05:48:17 PM
I think that owen is obi's real BRO and took on the duty of keeping luke because he is a more laid back, I dont want to get really involved with a bunch of crap type of person.

DarthAce
Jul 4th, 2000, 02:44:21 AM
I agree that maybe Obi is Owen's brother!:)
What i don't get is why kuke didn't change his name from skywalker to something alse?:(

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 4th, 2000, 10:48:44 AM
luke wouldn't have known any better, he didn't know who his father was. it would have had to be owen to change his name. why he didn't is beyond me. maybe he figured they were safe enough on a farm on a backwater planet like tatooine.

Doc Milo
Jul 4th, 2000, 08:38:27 PM
Plus, Vader didn't know he had kids. Why change the name? It's not like the name would raise any flags -- no one was looking for him!

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 4th, 2000, 09:04:24 PM
well i think just for safety sake, owen should have had the brains to change luke's name in the event that he destroy a moon sized battle station and really piss off a sith lord!

end sarcasm here.

DarthAce
Jul 5th, 2000, 02:40:43 AM
Yes thats what i mean!:)

Bromine
Jul 5th, 2000, 11:36:38 AM
I wonder how much Luke actually knew about his father. I'm betting he knew his name was Anakin, and that he was raised on Tatooine.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 5th, 2000, 11:50:08 AM
and that he was a navigator on a spice freighter. and that he died sometime during the clone wars (i think)

DarthAce
Jul 6th, 2000, 03:03:53 PM
yes you are right kyle

================================================== ==========

Uncle Owen Info?
There's a small bit of controversy rumbling out there regarding the character of Owen Lars, who will be played by Australian actor Joel Edgerton in Star Wars: Episode Two.

According to Sidious News, in spite of the official novelization of Return of the Jedi which has the character being Obi-Wan Kenobi's sibling, the upcoming film may reveal that Owen Lars is Anakin Skywalker's step-brother. According to a tipster to the site, while appearing on an unnamed Australian TV program, Edgerton is said to have revealed that seemingly incorrect point regarding his character. Is this just a case of an actor speaking erroneously, a smoke screen on the part of Lucasfilm, or is George Lucas making changes to the established canon? Lucas has previously said that any material from the numerous Star Wars books isn't necessarily true, but would he also ignore material from direct adaptions of the films themselves? Time will tell.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 6th, 2000, 03:15:31 PM
Read ahead!

Apparently a set has been identified by a spy as owen's home on tatooine. the same as in ANH, but with more rooms. it's rumor, so careful how much credibility you stake in it.

DarthAce
Jul 6th, 2000, 03:17:20 PM
maybe just maybe!:)

ThunderDroid
Jul 7th, 2000, 02:31:13 AM
During the interim between Eppy I and II, Watto buys another slave boy. It's not hard to imagine that he still has the means to buy labor, despite his loss in the podrace. Perhaps he even wins this slave boy in a separate bet. Regardless, the boy in question is Owen Lars, an orphan.

Watto buys Owen when he's about 11 years old. He's an older boy, but still needs some form of supervision from an adult guardian. Shmi, surely lonely without her own son, meets Owen and decides to take care of him. Shmi "adopts" Owen, essentially. She looks out for him, and Owen looks out for her. Owen, in particular, develops a very strong bond with Shmi.

So, now we come to Episode II. Anakin comes back to free Shmi (and Threepio). Owen, now about Ani's age, is resentful that he's taking Shmi. In fact, he feels Anakin should stay on Tattoine with them where they could be a family. Hence "Your Uncle thought [Anakin] should have stayed here, and not gotten involved." (Obi-Wan, Ep IV)

Owen understands, however, that Shmi should be set free. In fact he helps Anakin free her. As for Owen, he stays behind because of his girlfriend, Beru. They're going to get married once they're freed. Unlike Owen, Beru still has family on Tattoine that she hasn't seen in years. So, Owen stays behind to be with her. Anakin, Shmi, and Threepio all escape and leave Tattoine.

Now, we come to the end of Ep III. After Ani goes bad, Kenobi is forced to find a suitable place for Luke to be raised. So, he comes to Tattoine to seek out Owen and Beru (now married). He asks Owen to look oout for Anakin's son, and tells him what happened. Owen agrees to do it, not for Anakin or for Kenobi, but for Shmi. He owes it to her since she took him in years ago.

Owen's knowledge of the truth about Ani explains all of the resentment and apprehension the character expresses in Ep IV. "Luke's just not a farmer Owen. He has to much of his father in him." "That's what I'm afraid of."

In the context of my scenario above, the continuity of the saga is preserved. Everything fits.

Bromine
Jul 7th, 2000, 02:41:00 AM
Could work, although I think he'd have to be older than 11. The Owen they cast for Episode 2 looks to be around 27-28. That would mean if Watto purchased him shortly after Anakin left he would have been around 18 when he was purchased. Other than that, though, the scenario works.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 7th, 2000, 07:43:17 AM
yup. it works.

DarthAce
Jul 8th, 2000, 03:00:09 AM
It works but Anakin's mother must die so that DarthVader will be created!:)