PDA

View Full Version : One world - One release

Aprentize
Jul 5th, 2000, 03:19:58 PM
Anybody heard of it? Its a campaign started by a german star wars site to have ep2 released at the same time all over the world. That would be so cool. I know most of you dont care, since you all live in the states and gets to see it first anyway. But here in Europe, we have to wait two whole months before we can see the movie. And those months we here ALL about the movie. The plot, the characters, the @#%$ ENDING, so please, support this thing. If you just write your name and stuff at www.starwarsnews.de/release/english.html (http://www.starwarsnews.de/release/english.html)
we might just make it. "Help me swfans.net forums, youre my only hope"

Bromine
Jul 5th, 2000, 05:06:30 PM
I've heard of it and yes, I think it's a great idea!:)
India was one of the last countries to get it and I think they got it something like EIGHT MONTHS LATER! I remember someone there had a great site up about the opening day. Of course, the release in India wasn't a huge event(at least in the region where he was), and there weren't the phenomenal lines like in other places, but he was still a big fan and excited about TPM. I'm sure he felt pretty isolated from all the hype because he was 8 months displaced, so to speak.
If it's at all possible to pull it off and interest is shown, I think LFL will do it.

ReaperFett
Jul 5th, 2000, 05:11:47 PM
One reply- YES!
Why should the world wait? TPM had filming in Britain, and STILL gets it after the US, Austrailia and Italy. WHY?

Jedieb
Jul 5th, 2000, 06:44:58 PM
I wonder what the extra expense would be to make a worldwide release happen? You'd think that part of the reason release dates are staggered around the world would be cost. I just wonder how much more it would cost to get all those prints to all those different countries?

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 5th, 2000, 09:53:56 PM
most countries are usually behind for release of movies. example, i just saw a pic of tom cruise in britain (i think) for the premiere of mi2. maybe other movies have their own domestic movies playing in theaters and big hollywood films are pushed back slightly in favor of local work? correct me if i'm wrong...

Aprentize
Jul 6th, 2000, 12:14:47 PM
Tom Cruise? MI:2? I'll tell you something, that movie is opening in one week here. ONE week. Have ya all allready seen it? Then there you have another example. Im anxious to that, but have to wait until 12th of july....
Here (in sweden) they show swedish movies in the theatres, but the majority of movies are american. Im sure they could be able to release the movie all around the globe if they want to. Money's no problem for LFL. That i am sure of..
And think about what a thing it could be. They could send something on TV where the show live all the queues all around the world... and if it was released the same TIME! They could show how everybody in theatres all around the world rushes in and stuff. It would be such a media and FAN thing. Deffinitly worth signing on starwarsfans.de

flagg
Jul 7th, 2000, 10:40:44 AM
Digital projection will make a simulataneous release both possible and inexpensive. I'll still probably fly to America to see Episode II, anyway. The US fans are much more into it!

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 7th, 2000, 10:57:03 AM
if theaters are digital-ready. i bet they all won't be, especially not in all countries. more likely they'll be ready for episode 3.

Bromine
Jul 7th, 2000, 02:03:54 PM
Flagg - If you're referring to the way Titan A.E. was transmitted to theatres via the Internet, I think that would definitely make global releases much easier, but it's a long way off. Even digital projectors are a long way off, because theatres just can't justify the expense.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 7th, 2000, 02:45:59 PM
or the need--yet. many new theaters have just popped up all over the place, almost none of them digital. they're all high on their curved screens, big sound systems, and stadium seating right now. it'll take awhile for them to milk that angle and make their money off that alone. in a few years, when quality home theaters become commonplace, then digital projection will start to make it's way into theaters.

ReaperFett
Jul 7th, 2000, 02:49:40 PM
course they wont do it yet.

It is a conspiracy to spoil every one of the prequal trilogy for me...

Bromine
Jul 7th, 2000, 03:03:53 PM
LOL! Hey, look on the bright side: Maybe digital screens will be commonplace in time for...The Matrix 3!;)

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 7th, 2000, 03:15:47 PM
yep, that seems possible!

ReaperFett
Jul 7th, 2000, 03:18:58 PM
lats low Bromine, you know I didnt like the Matrix. Now you torture me. I feel depressed now.

I know, I'll make great films, but never allow them abroad. Heh, that'll teach them...

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 7th, 2000, 03:24:12 PM
:lol:
that's pretty good. I was wondering why you mentioned matrix 3 out of the blue like that!

DarthAce
Jul 8th, 2000, 02:55:33 AM
I was one of the first to sign it!:)

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 8th, 2000, 12:23:15 PM
i think i was like 400 or 600 or something...

Darth Hez
Jul 9th, 2000, 11:30:33 AM
Thats a great idea. I thought it sucked that a good portion of the movie was filmed here in the UK and yet we still get it 2 months after the US. They cited the time it took to dub them into other languages as the reason for the staggered release, but if that is the case, why did Italy get it before the UK?

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 9th, 2000, 01:08:43 PM
I'm sure that Lucasfilm has a reason that they consider to be good. I'm sure it's not out of spite, or being an A-hole, or so that the hype machine can continue to hype other countries.

Bromine
Jul 9th, 2000, 03:13:18 PM
I think it has a lot to do with domestic movies getting preference. TPM was, after all, an American production no matter where it was filmed. Still, Episode 2 is a guaranteed blockbuster so I'm sure LFL can pull some strings.
That's an interesting point about the foreign language translation. I figured that would be a major factor, but I guess not.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 9th, 2000, 05:51:22 PM
Maybe it's not all Lucasfilm's doing. What if the other countries designate a time for when their domestic movies are out of the way? Maybe other countries give their own movies preferential treatment as well. They probably don't want a movie like Star Wars to come in and take away virtually every box office dollar.

Bromine
Jul 9th, 2000, 06:32:13 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking. The American movie industry is so large compared to some other countries. It definitely wouldn't work with every movie, but Episode 2 might be something special. If it was neccessary, I wouldn't mind a delay in the North American release, even.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 9th, 2000, 09:11:18 PM
yeah, what's the difference betweem 681 days and 700 or so days? it seems like an insignificant delay, but it would be like murder when that time actually comes!