PDA

View Full Version : Casting Update # 2

DarthAce
Jul 13th, 2000, 02:58:53 AM
http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/news/2000/28/img/smits.jpg

July 13, 2000 -- Joining the cast of Star Wars: Episode II is Emmy-award winning actor Jimmy Smits. The next chapter in the Star Wars series is currently filming in Australia under George Lucas' direction for a summer 2002 release. Smits will portray Senator Bail Organa of Alderaan, a character briefly mentioned in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope.

"I'd thought of Jimmy for the role before George Lucas had even confirmed the character's appearance," recalls Casting Director Robin Gurland. "Then completely independently, his agents let me know that he would love to be involved in a Star Wars project. It worked out great."

The as-yet-untitled Star Wars: Episode II adds another film to Smits' exemplary roster of movie and television work. Among his most recent motion picture credits are Wim Wenders' Million Dollar Hotel, co-starring Mel Gibson, Milla Jovovich and Jeremy Davies; New Line Cinema's Price of Glory, directed by Carlos Avila; and Chuck Russell's Bless the Child, a thriller co-starring Kim Basinger, due out this August.

Many know Smits from his acclaimed television series work; for every year Smits has worked in television he has been honored with an Emmy award nomination. He received six consecutive nominations for his role as Victor Sifuentes in L.A. Law, winning the award in 1990. For his role as Bobby Simone in NYPD Blue, Smits received five Emmy nominations. Smits also has three Golden Globes nominations -- one of which he won - and four SAG Award nominations.

DarthAce
Jul 13th, 2000, 03:04:24 AM
Partial List of Episode II Production Cast

Obi-Wan Kenobi : Ewan McGregor
Padmé : Natalie Portman
Anakin Skywalker : Hayden Christensen
Palpatine : Ian McDiarmid
Jar Jar Binks : Ahmed Best
Mace Windu : Samuel L. Jackson

Christopher Lee
Bail Organa :Jimmy Smits

David Bowers
Rose Byrne
Matt Doran
Owen Lars : Joel Edgerton
Jay Laga'aia
Daniel Logan
Alethea McGrath
Beru : Bonnie Piesse
Susie Porter
Matt Rowan
Veronica Segura
Leeanna Walsman

I mean look at those actors and there are more BIG names coming up for other parts-i mean Lucas is really giving everything in this film and episode III.My guess is that he wants episode II & III be the best movies of the trilogy and to win the lord of the rings !:)

Nerysm Seraphim
Jul 13th, 2000, 03:54:16 PM
Ugh... Episode 2 JarJar.

DaBoSsNaStY
Jul 13th, 2000, 04:37:37 PM
I thought i read somewhere that Mr.Cris Walken(sp) would be in ep.2?

ReaperFett
Jul 13th, 2000, 04:49:57 PM
STILL no announcement of Ric Olie... :(

DuneHermit
Jul 13th, 2000, 10:26:15 PM
"That little droid did it!" :eek: <-Ric Olie

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 14th, 2000, 12:34:15 AM
how about a little bit of this:

Shmi Skywalker - Pernilla August
Watto - Andy Secombe
Ki-Adi-Mundi - Silas Carson
Yoda - Frank Oz
C-3PO - Anthony Daniels

It's official folks! our little blue friend will be back, amongst others...

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 14th, 2000, 01:00:40 AM
I liked Watto I am glad they are bringing him back.

DarthAce
Jul 14th, 2000, 02:58:27 AM
Watto-i liked more than jarjar!:)