PDA

View Full Version : Are Bail Antilles and Bail Organa the same?

DarthAce
Jul 18th, 2000, 06:35:39 AM
Answered by: Steve Sansweet

With the recent announcement that Jimmy Smits will play Bail Organa in Episode II, this previously unseen character is getting a lot of attention. Bail Organa is Princess Leia’s adoptive father, and a representative from Alderaan. He perishes when the Death Star destroys that peaceful world in Star Wars: Episode IV A New Hope.

Bail Antilles is also an Alderaanian politician. When Chancellor Valorum was ousted from office by a vote of no confidence, three nominees lined up to take his place: Ainlee Teem from Malastare, Palpatine from Naboo, and Bail Antilles from Alderaan. Although the scene was ultimately left out of the finished film, the script to Episode I shows that these two men were conceived of as separate characters. Both are mentioned. Bail Organa seconds the vote of no confidence; Bail Antilles is nominated to succeed Valorum.

Two Bails, two different characters. It should be noted that "Antilles" is sort of the Star Wars equivalent of "Jones," and "Smith." There have been numerous characters throughout the films, books, and expanded universe material named Antilles, but almost none of them are directly related. For instance, Corellian hotshot starfighter pilot Wedge Antilles is not related to Bail Antilles. Nor is he related to C-3PO and R2-D2’s former master, Captain Antilles, the Rebel officer whom Vader chokes to death in the opening moments of A New Hope.

DarthAce
Jul 18th, 2000, 06:39:28 AM
sorry for the double post!:(

Atreyu
Jul 18th, 2000, 09:39:14 PM
Don't worry - I deleted it. :)

Interesting read. I'm curious though as to whether this is now fact or if it's still open to change - since the scene that defined them, as 2 different people was left out of TPM there's still some room to make them the same person, although I'd think it unlikely.

Bromine
Jul 19th, 2000, 12:10:26 AM
I don't see any point in making them the same person. If they ARE the same person, why not call them the same person to begin with? Or, at the very least, be consistent and call him Bail Antilles in the second one as well?

DarthAce
Jul 19th, 2000, 02:15:06 AM
I agree!:)