PDA

View Full Version : Spoiler pics!

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 16th, 2000, 05:36:51 PM
AVERT YOUR EYES IF YOU'RE ALLERGIC TO SPOILERS!!!!!http://www.theforce.net/episode2/newspics/sfx_swpics.jpg</img>

the center pic is believed to be a wall in the senate chamber, and I believe the second one is part of, or a different version of a star destroyer. Different aspects of the rear indicate that it could be one. What do you think?

ReaperFett
Jul 16th, 2000, 05:39:15 PM
That is a fighter, IMHO. It is too short and wide for a star destroyer

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 16th, 2000, 07:14:45 PM
It could be a model of a Star Destroyer. Here, look how similar the back of the pic is to the actual star destroyer:
http://www.theforce.net/multimedia/pics/Ships/Imperial_Ships/A_New_Hope/imp_sd.jpghttp://www.theforce.net/episode2/newspics/sfx_swpics.jpg

ReaperFett
Jul 16th, 2000, 07:16:50 PM
only two engines :)

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 16th, 2000, 07:58:56 PM
That's why I said it could be one of the first versions of star destroyer. an older model perhaps.

ReaperFett
Jul 16th, 2000, 08:03:29 PM
Also, I would guess models would be quite small. PROPS would be full size. Maybe we see someone get out of that ship(Please Ric Olie, please Ric Olie :) )

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 16th, 2000, 09:57:37 PM
Yeah, stick Ric in there!

Bromine
Jul 16th, 2000, 10:09:00 PM
Some of the starship models (especially the larger capital ships) ARE quite large because they have to be used in scenes with much smaller ships, but I've never seen one that large. Regardless, I'm pretty sure the space battles are going to be CG. This is probably a small fighter.

Atreyu
Jul 17th, 2000, 04:32:17 AM
It doesn't look that small to me. ;)

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 17th, 2000, 08:54:33 AM
What makes it look like a star destroyer to me is the wedge shape, and the 2 little pieces of wood that run up and down on each end of the ship's rear, where it gets thinner. those are also on the real star destroyer.

Darth23
Jul 17th, 2000, 09:44:28 AM
::puts know it all hat on ::

Actually the first Star Destroyer model was only 3 feet long. The Rebel Runner it was chasing (Leia's ship) was 6 feet long.

The pic could very well be an early Star Destroyer. I don't think it will be a spoiler by the time the first trailer is released. :-)

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 17th, 2000, 09:51:59 AM
I'll die when I see the first star destroyer pass over head! to me, it is the thing i remember most about the first time i saw star wars! It was so much more impressive than anything I'd ever seen before!

Bromine
Jul 17th, 2000, 02:08:10 PM
Like I said, though, I really can't see them using starship models when it's so much easier for them to use CG, no?

Darth Hez
Jul 17th, 2000, 05:02:02 PM
CG isn't best for everything. I think models are still the way to go for some shots.

And its likelt that the ship pictured is in fact a Victory class Star Destroyer, rather than the larger Imperial class Star Destroyer seen in the OT. The Victory SD is in the X-wing and TIE fighter games, and also features only 2 engines. Not proof I know, but certainly persuasive.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 17th, 2000, 05:13:06 PM
Really? I'm not all that wise when it comes to the variations of all the star destroyers. so the victory class star destroyers have only 2 engines? cool. persuasive indeed!

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 18th, 2000, 08:27:29 AM
how abour a little bit of this! again, acert your eyes if you'tr spoiler sensitive!

http://www.theforce.net/episode2/newspics/render_ship.jpg</img>

looks more and more like a star destroyer to me!

Bromine
Jul 18th, 2000, 07:12:18 PM
I'm not sure those two pictures are of the same object.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 18th, 2000, 07:20:54 PM
you could be right about that, or they are the same object, just at different stages of completion. the 2 prop photos are taken at different times, so maybe they weren't finished. however, i'm convinced that the newer one is a star destroyer, and those renderings make me believe it even more.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 18th, 2000, 10:23:02 PM
At last a picture that shows exactly what I mean!
http://www.theforce.net/episode2/newspics/destroyer-2.jpg</img>

Bromine
Jul 19th, 2000, 12:07:52 AM
I see the similarity, but I still don't see why they would construct gigantic models when CG can do the job much better. If I remember right, they didn't use ANY spaceship scale models in TPM.

Edit: I was just reminded that all the FX stuff will be shot in the ILM studios; the only work they're doing in Australia is shooting on location. If this pic comes from Australia, it HAS to be a full-size ship or prop or what have you..

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 19th, 2000, 12:42:37 AM
I think i have a picture of the radiant as a model, and the naboo fighters in the hangar in the wall are models too.

Bromine
Jul 19th, 2000, 12:47:27 AM
I know there were some reference models (they weren't extremely huge), and things like the podrace stadium were models, but I'm 90% sure all the space scenes were shot with CG ships.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 19th, 2000, 12:53:02 AM
the star destroyer is too difficult for cg with all the shadowing and lights, and they figure a model would look just as good, and be cheaper. but they probably need one fairly large model for references for the computers, but then that raises the question of why isn't the model at ILM instead of on location?

Bromine
Jul 19th, 2000, 01:01:30 AM
Well, I suppose that may be true about the SD being so complex it's easier to use a model; after all, it's not like it has to do a lot of complex manuevering like a fighter does, and complex motion is what the CG would be best for.
I agree, tough, that the whole debate is kinda moot and the real question is why it's in Australia? Maybe Palpy has the model in his office or something!:)

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 19th, 2000, 01:06:57 AM
that's exactly what it is. a model for palpy to display.

DarthAce
Jul 19th, 2000, 01:51:14 AM
I know what it is...its a lucas trick his trying to make as look at things that aren't htee if your getting my point?!:(

Bromine
Jul 19th, 2000, 02:07:43 AM
Yeah, like that blurry picture of Anakin running!:)

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 19th, 2000, 08:59:15 AM
George has been known to screw aroun from time to time, hasn't he?