PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galatica vs Star Wars

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 18th, 2000, 10:15:28 PM
I just got finished watching a program called Sciography on the Sci-Fi channel and it did not treat Lucas very kindly. It talked about a lawsuit that Lucas and Fox made on the show and it made Lucas sound like a egomaniac or something. I have only seen a couple of episodes of the show, and I see a few similarities, mainly that the villains resemble Storm Troopers a little too well. Has anybody else seen this special and/or having any thoughts about its alligations.

Jedieb
Jul 19th, 2000, 07:50:59 AM
I was a huge Battlestar Galactica fan as a kid. You just didn't see much sci-fi on TV back then and Galactica had a huge budget at the time and it showed, at least on the small screen anyways. I always thought that FOX overreacted with their lawsuit. The storylines were quite different and the ship designs were different as well. Now you can argue that the success of SW helped get BG made but I never thought the connection was much more than that. The two just didn't feel the same. Although I've heard that both projects shared some creative talent and that may have helped contribute to FOX's lawsuit.

I haven't seen the special you're referring to. do you know when they'll be repaeting it?

Bromine
Jul 19th, 2000, 04:32:18 PM
I heard that the main thrust of the lawsuit was the fact that someone from ILM left Star Wars for BG and took some patented cameras and such with them.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 19th, 2000, 05:22:21 PM
I think it is going to be on again on Friday at 7 eastern time defentely I just checked.

Jedieb
Jul 19th, 2000, 07:10:32 PM
Thanks JMC, I'll try to check it out. That's the story that I heard to Bro. Someone left ILM and went to work on BG. The whole thing just seemed so petty. I'm looking forward to seeing the show on Fri.