PDA

View Full Version : ...

DarthAce
Jul 25th, 2000, 01:58:22 AM
I've heard that Episode II will have even more computer effects than Episode I. How is that possible?

Answered by: Rick McCallum

I'm not sure, but it looks like we're going to give it a shot.

Since almost every shot in Episode I had some element of a digital effect, it won't be more from a number of scenes standpoint. And since every element of the ground battle in The Phantom Menace involved the computer somehow, you can't really top 100%.

I think with Episode II, George has in mind to make the integration between live action and computer generated elements even tighter. There are some things that we've learned the computer can achieve for less money or with better creative result, and we're going to try to exploit that even further. In some ways it will simply mean more realism or more lines for a CG character.

George has also thrown down the gauntlet to ILM on a few tasks that no one has ever done with computer graphics before. It's too early to talk about specifics, but if they can pull it off the results are going to be amazing.
================================================== =====
I mean look at the last part-i mean what do you think about the "...no one has ever..."What is it?:)

Atreyu
Jul 25th, 2000, 05:24:17 AM
From what I hear Episode 2 will be filmed digitally, so to incorporate more computer effects will be much easier since the film is already digital to begin with.

TPM had computer effects making up anywhere between 75% and 95% of the film (every source was quoting a different percentage). It'll be interesting to see if Epsiode 2 goes even further.

And by the way Ace - I just LOVE the title you gave this thread. :)

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 25th, 2000, 09:01:48 AM
I think it's mccallum just exaggerating again. blowing things out of proportion. i find he's good at that. and yes, a very clear and concise title for the thread! it made me want to find out what it was all about! :)

Jidai Geki
Jul 25th, 2000, 09:39:40 AM
Please, Rick, just SHUT UP!!!

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 25th, 2000, 09:59:42 AM
what mccallum really does aside from scouting and calling and booking spaces to film? or is he just lucas' mouthpiece? Or is a producer one of those tiring,thankless jobs that no one appreciates?

jidai geki-AMEN!!

Bromine
Jul 25th, 2000, 02:13:19 PM
Well, as long as people keep asking generalized questions about the SFX and the like, Rick is going to keep giving those great pointless answers.:)
Just about every major motion picture that involves SFX does something new that has never been done before. That's just the nature of new technology. TPM had the first fully integrated CG characters, plus some really great "cloth" effects for Jar-Jar's clothes and ears. I know most people think, "His ears flopped around. Whoop-tee-do!" but that small detail was really quite a feat. Episode 2 will probably have some new stuff that will appear neat to the average viewer, but only die-hard CG people will get really excited about it.