PDA

View Full Version : a silly question

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 1st, 2000, 10:39:07 AM
since this place is deader than fred savage's career, i figured that i'd post this silly thread.

when luke was hanging upside down in the wampa cave, and he cut himself down, how did he cut away enough ice in one swoop to free himself and not take a couple toes with it? i don't think the saber had enough time to do any kind of real melting to help free him. so what do you think? I know, it's a real thought provoking thread...

Bromine
Aug 1st, 2000, 04:57:55 PM
I wondered the same thing. He only took one swipe with the lightsabre, and all of a sudden he's completely free. His feet were completely encased in ice up to his ankles. Maybe it did melt the ice, but I agree it looked more like he was cutting himself free.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 1st, 2000, 09:53:46 PM
Wow! Here I thought I was the only one who wondered about that! If the saber melted the front, how would the back become free? And the sides? Convenient, isn't it?

Bromine
Aug 2nd, 2000, 12:33:28 AM
And even if he did cut himself free, how come there weren't blocks of ice around his feet? It was like the ice just vanished!

Darth McBain
Aug 2nd, 2000, 10:56:42 AM
Well, we did see Qui-Gon's saber melting the door of the Trade Federation ship. If a saber can melt metal, I wouldn't think it would have much trouble with ice...

On a side note, while the door-melting scene is cool, it is yet another baffler of physics... How could Qui-Gon's saber be generating enough energy to melt through a door, yet his hands, which are only centimeters away from the blade be untouched... While I love to get swept away in the fantasy, it is very interesting when you stop and realize all of the laws of physics which are being broken.

Bromine
Aug 2nd, 2000, 04:01:51 PM
There's a scientific term for something like that; that it doesn't emit heat, but generates heat when it comes in contact with something. I forget what it's called. Also, you can put your hand right beside a laser beam and feel no heat, but pass your hand in front of the beam and cut your hand off. So there is some scientific precident.
What I find impossible about that scene is not that he's not getting burned by his lightsabre, but the fact that he's not burned by the molten metal that's centimetres from his hand!

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 2nd, 2000, 04:30:24 PM
Isn't that called conduction or something like that? If it melted all the ice away, I think he would have barbecued his feet a little bit as well! :)

Bromine
Aug 2nd, 2000, 08:57:22 PM
Yeah, I think that's it; conduction.

EP5GRAFLEX
Aug 4th, 2000, 04:33:23 PM
All Jedi's used the Force to do what they do....It happens too fast for you non-Jedi to observe.

Check out my band!:)
Jedi-Rocker

www.mp3.com/happyendings (http://www.mp3.com/happyendings)

Bromine
Aug 4th, 2000, 04:42:39 PM
Yeah, that must be it: just one of those crazy Jedi things.:)

JediWilliam
Aug 5th, 2000, 04:41:37 PM
It's just another example of my theory that a lightsaber can be designed that it will not harm the maker of the saber.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 5th, 2000, 05:31:36 PM
the key is to actually make one though! :)