PDA

View Full Version : IG-88 Question

LookingForValhalla
Aug 6th, 2000, 02:58:31 AM
Hi,

I usually follow the prop board but I just watched ROTJ again and had a question. This board seemed to be the best place to get the answer.

I saw what looked to me like an IG-88 in the scrap room of bespin (where chewie finds the dismantled and deactivated c3-po). In chronicles it stated that Boba Fett defeated an IG-88 enroute to jabbas palace from bespin (with carbonite Han). So how did that IG-88 get there? Was it one of the other IG-88s or just one of those things about movies we aren't supposed to pay to close attention to?

Thanks for any info on this.

mez7
Aug 6th, 2000, 09:13:05 AM
well i think that its just a similar model of droid,
it is white if i remeber corectly, and since all the IG's were exactly the same, so i think it was not an IG,

ReaperFett
Aug 6th, 2000, 09:34:23 AM
It WAS just a prop, but the tales of the bounty hunters book states that there was 4 IG-88's, and that was one of them

LookingForValhalla
Aug 6th, 2000, 06:22:25 PM
The droid in the garbage room was a white color. I had heard that there were 5 of the IG-88s and that they sometimes worked together or were at least in contact with eachother. If it is an IG-88 I wonder how it got there. Oh well, the mysteries of the universe...

mez7
Aug 9th, 2000, 09:23:47 AM
lucas has stated the books dont mean a thing in his movies so the bounty hunters book doesnt mean a thing,
it also stated that the IG's were the only droids that could kill didnt it??
but then in ESB theirs another droid bounty hunter on the ship, so that makes that story have false facts, meaning i wouldnt really take it for too much merit

ReaperFett
Aug 9th, 2000, 02:00:52 PM
that one is the original IG-88

And books do mean something, it is where Coruscant's name came from

Doc Milo
Aug 9th, 2000, 02:39:05 PM
I agree that the books do have some meaning. But it seems that you guys are trying to fit the movies into the story arc of the books rather than the books into the story arc of the films....

If something from a book doesn't fit in with the films, the book is what is wrong . . . so we should be looking at it from that perspective. Don't try to fit ESBs story arc into what happens in the books, try to fit what happens in the books into the story arc of ESB.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 9th, 2000, 03:10:06 PM
Exactly! that's what I wanted to say, but couldn't figure out a simple way to phrase it! I guess that's why you're the writer, right doc? :)

ReaperFett
Aug 9th, 2000, 03:14:53 PM
it does fit though. There were 4 IG-88s. One was killed at Tatooine by Boba. One at Cloud City by Boba(one you saw) One I forget. The original one was in the central computer of the second Death Star when it blew up. Although not official, it all fits in

Jedieb
Aug 9th, 2000, 07:53:27 PM
I liked the EU IG-88 story. Although the fate of the last IG was pretty ridiculous. I think the writer of the story took great care into looking at the trilogy and then finding material he could incorporate into his story. The IG you saw in ROTJ is a perfect example. The writer probably saw it as well and then figured; "Hey, I can have a storyline in which one of the IGs makes it on board the second DS! And then he went to work from there. But if you told Lucas; "Having a droid download itself into the core of the second DS was brilliant!" I think he ask you if you'd been drinking.

GGriffaw
Aug 9th, 2000, 09:32:28 PM
The impression I get is that if Lucas wants to do something in the movies, he does it. He is not concerned if it contradicts the books. He probably doesn't even know very many of the details in the books. If there is something he likes such as Coruscant, he may use it.

Probably the real explanation is that they just threw different things that they had laying around into the shot on Bespin. They reuse things all the time. Sometimes they modify it to look a little different such as painting Luke's landspeeder green for TPM.

Bromine
Aug 9th, 2000, 09:58:25 PM
I agree about GL not HAVING to follow the EU. I think how it works is that when an EU story is written, they check and make sure they aren't messing up continuity, but if later on down the line GL wants to write something that contradicts it, he will. A perfect example is Boba Fett. When that short story about his origins was written, GL probably had no intention of bringing his origins up, so the story was a go. When he later decided to have Boba's origins in Episode 2, the story is contradicted. I think they all care about continuity, but aren't constrained by it.
Heck, even the movies are almost contradicted when GL wants. It seemed pretty clear to me in ANH that Obi-Wan was supposed to meet Anakin as an adult, but by TPM that wasn't the case. It wasn't contradicted, but I think the story as definitely changed.

GGriffaw
Aug 10th, 2000, 07:54:02 PM
Lucas does change his mind about things that even he does. I'm not sure if it still says it or not, but early copies of the ANH novel say something like "From the adventures of Luke Skywalker". That makes it sound like the whole saga is about Luke. Now it is about Anakin.

At first Lucas said that the droids would be the only characters in all nine films. Now there are only six films and Obi Wan and Anakin will be in all six.

It is hard to say that a droid is the same type of droid by how it looks anyway. Many items look similar but they are different models.

Bromine
Aug 10th, 2000, 11:10:54 PM
I forgot about how he said only the droids would be in the prequels!:) I remember now; he said it a TV interview before the prequel hype was even close. Definitely sounds silly now. I can name over a dozen OT characters that are in the prequels!:)

GGriffaw
Aug 11th, 2000, 06:42:36 PM
I think he talked about the droids being the only ones in all of the movies back around the time of Empire.

Of course there are other things that he changed his mind about as well. Qui Gon wasn't in some of the drafts for TPM. I'm not sure how Lucas explains Obi Wan's quote from Empire about Yoda being the Jedi who trained him.

I can't prove it, but I don't think Vader was intended to be Luke's father when they made ANH.

ReaperFett
Aug 11th, 2000, 06:54:07 PM
Leia wasnt Lukes sister originally

And about Obi-Wan. Apparently Yoda began his training, and Qui-Gon finished it

Bromine
Aug 11th, 2000, 07:01:00 PM
Well, overall I think LFL has done a good job at keeping the SW saga more or less clear of contradictions, at least compared to other franchises like Star Trek (Voyager broke every rule in the freakin' book!):) .

mez7
Aug 12th, 2000, 10:08:28 AM
actually corusocant was named by lucas in the origonal screenplay draft for ROTJ vader traveled to an underground lava cave to see the emporor, the top of the planet was described as covered in buildings, and lucas had the name,
ive seen the preproduction pics of this, it was change to have the emporor go to the death star cause it cuts back the time of the movie, and cuts down some confusion their was the book writer did talk to lucasfilm obviously to get stuff right and used it,so the book followed lucas's oriogonal plan for palpatines planet.