PDA

View Full Version : Irvin Kershner

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 26th, 2000, 11:04:32 PM
I was wondering how much credit should we give Kershner for TESB, I mean he deserves some credit, but I have heard remarks in the past that the reason why that film was so much better was because Kershner directed it. I bring this up because tonight I saw the Robocop 2 on and before the movie they mentioned that Kershner directed it. Robocop 2 was terrible, so how was it that Kershner would make this terrible of a film. Perhaps, though Keshner was just not a great director and that some people think he is. Look at this filmography
Cecilia (2000)
SeaQuest DSV (1993) (TV)
Robocop 2 (1990)
Traveling Man (1989) (TV)
"Amazing Stories" (1985) TV Series (episode "Hell Toupee (1986)")
Never Say Never Again (1983)
Ninja, The (1982)
Star Wars: Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
... aka Empire Strikes Back, The (1980) (USA: short title)
Eyes of Laura Mars (197:cool:
Raid on Entebbe (1977) (TV)
Return of a Man Called Horse, The (1976)
S*P*Y*S (1974)
Up the Sandbox (1972)
Loving (1970)
Flim-Flam Man, The (1967)
... aka One Born Every Minute (1967) (UK)
Fine Madness, A (1966)
Luck of Ginger Coffey, The (1964)
Face in the Rain (1963)
Hoodlum Priest (1961)
Young Captives, The (1959)
"Naked City" (195:cool: TV Series
Stakeout on Dope Street (195:cool:

Besides TESB none of these films I would consider great. I am not trying to dish Kershner, I just think most of the credit for TESB being such a great film belongs to Lucas and perhaps even Kasdan who wrote a brillant screenplay.

Grendel 666
Aug 26th, 2000, 11:33:09 PM
I give Kershner quite a lot of credit for how the film was shot, lit, etc.-- how it looked overall on film. And some bits of business that were improvised on the set, such as Chewie's heartbroken wail when the doors are closed on Hoth with Han and Luke still lost outside, and the classic Han/Leia exchange: "I love you." "I know."

But undeniably a lot of credit goes to Lucas and Kasdan for putting the good stuff in the story and script so Kershner had something amazing to shoot.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 26th, 2000, 11:50:14 PM
I agree. I think the lighting and sets were integral to the success of ESB.

DvdJervs
Aug 27th, 2000, 04:32:38 AM
I remember this being raised at TheForce.Net. Kreschner certainly deserves some credit for ESB, but like Grendel says Lucas and Kasdan also deserve some of the credit as well. Lucas has admitted that Kreschner did things differently than what he would have done and that they 'turned out for the better'. But as has been demonstrated some of Kreschner's other work has been plain awful.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 27th, 2000, 12:33:20 PM
Let's just be thankful that he didn't botch ESB.
If he had such a bad track record, doesn't it make you wonder why he was chosen to direct the sequel to the most successful film of all time?

Bromine
Aug 27th, 2000, 02:26:07 PM
People give a lot of credit to directors, but all directors can do is make a good film better. If the script and cast are lousy, even a good director can't pull a phenomenal movie out of it. Similarly, if it's a great script and cast, that doesn't mean the director deserves all the credit for a good movie. Directors are just another part of the creative process like the writers, concept artists, etc.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 27th, 2000, 05:11:57 PM
Actually as I was reading Maltin's reviews of his Kershner's film he did have a good track record at least going in to TESB, he mostly did low budget dramas usually character driven films that dealt with social issues, his biggest success to that point was a Man called Horse which I have never seen Maltin gave it 3 stars, he also gave one of is social dramas 3 1/2, at the same time though he did the plain awful Spies with Elliot Gould and Donald Sutherland, Maltin calls this film a Bomb. It seems his career feel apart after TESB he did mostly terrible films like Robocop 2 and began doing more work for Television. I think Lucas chose him because he was a rising star and also because he was good at character driven films which TESB is notable for having more character depth than the other Star wars films.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 27th, 2000, 06:45:54 PM
A rising star? He was like 60 years old, or close to it when they did ESB! Talk about a late bloomer! :)

ReaperFett
Aug 27th, 2000, 06:53:47 PM
2 thngs. First, Irvin didnt improvise the I love you, I know part, Harrison Ford did. The original was something like 'well ya better remember that, cause I'll be back'. Ooooh, corny

Also, the bond film was great