PDA

View Full Version : EP II script stolen

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 2nd, 2000, 11:46:43 PM
Has anybody else read this story:

A spy has apparently pilfered what appears to be an authentic script of Star Wars: Episode II and attempted to sell it to TheForce.net fan Web site, according to Hollywood Confidential columnist Jeffrey Wells on the Reel.com Web site. TheForce.net refused to buy the script, but has also refused to identify the "renegade agent" who's auctioning the script to the highest bidder, Wells reported.

TheForce.net apparently feels that it's too early to be discussing Episode II's plot or storyline in detail, since the movie's not due in theaters until 2002. But the site is also reluctant to give up identity of the proposed seller, saying it needs to protect the integrity of its journalistic sources, Wells reported. Lucasfilm lawyers have reportedly been pressing TheForce.net in an effort to find out who stole the script.

For its part, Lucasfilm told Wells in a statement, "It is the policy of Lucasfilm to decline comment on any possible investigations associated with unauthorized or unlawful use or possession of our copyrighted property. Lucasfilm aggressively pursues anyone involved with the unauthorized sale or purchase of copyrighted materials and will do whatever it takes to insure that they are prosecuted to the full extent of the law. Lucasfilm is dedicated to its legions of Star Wars fans and will go to any lengths to protect them from the unauthorized or unlawful distribution or publication of proprietary materials that would spoil their Star Wars experience."

Well, if it is theforce.net has not said a word about it but really it wouldn't surprise me that somebody would do it, I just hope they catch the thief.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 3rd, 2000, 04:54:54 PM
I found the rest of the story on Reel.com, it is difficult to say if it is true, this is a gossip hound reporting after all but here is the link.

reel.com/reel.asp?node=mo...geid=15247 (http://reel.com/reel.asp?node=movienews/confidential&pageid=15247)

It is about half way down the page.
What does everyone else think, and would you want to read this script?

Bromine
Sep 3rd, 2000, 05:41:38 PM
Even if I did want to read it, I wouldn't go to any website who buys the script. Taking spy photos is bad enough, but stealing a copy of the script is just plain wrong, IMO. I hope they catch the theif, since not only did he steal from LFL, but he's now trying to profit from his theft.

And no, I wouldn't want to read the script because it would ruin the movie for me.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 3rd, 2000, 05:47:40 PM
Oh, I agree with you I hope they do catch who ever stole it, I do think that theforce.net is in a delima though like the reporter said. Hopefully Lucasfilm will find out who it is without having to get it from them. I also would not want to read the script, though I am sure some people would be tempted.

Doc Milo
Sep 3rd, 2000, 07:24:14 PM
If I was theforce.net, I wouldn't consider anyone who tried to profit from stolen property a "source" and thus I would feel no need to "protect" them. Just my opinion on that matter.

I wouldn't read it either. And I wouldn't blame Lucas for prosecuting anyone who bought the script either...

Bromine
Sep 3rd, 2000, 10:01:01 PM
I was thinking about theforce.net's position as well, and I was thinking that perhaps whomever is trying to sell them the script has been a "source" in the past, so they feel they're obligated to protect him/her. Or, perhaps they're concerned that if they turn this theif in, people will be afraid to send in spy photos and stuff. A very tough dilemma for them.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 3rd, 2000, 11:03:05 PM
Yeah and at the same time they do not want to Lucas mad at them either, so they are in a no win situation.

Doc Milo
Sep 4th, 2000, 01:09:09 AM
I can understand how tough a dilemma it is. And perhaps their hoping that a judge or someone will rule against them, so that they can have the "out" of saying, hey, we stood up for protecting our source, but we were forced to turn him in...." That may be a good out for them.

Excuse any typos or any incoheret sounding opinions, I've had a few shots...... :)

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 4th, 2000, 07:16:31 PM
I hope they find the thief and hang him from his nads!!

I'm sorry I just drove 800 kms and I'm cranky! Don't mind me! :)

87FOXGT
Sep 5th, 2000, 12:30:54 AM
its ok man ive been there lol. long drives can do that to you sometimes and make you bitchy hehe. anyways i agree i hope they catch that SOB because i dont want the script to get out all over the net and ruin the movie for me because everyone and their grandma is talking about it. except for us here cause were too loyal to do that right ? :)

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 5th, 2000, 09:20:37 AM
you're darn tootin'!

Jedieb
Sep 5th, 2000, 07:58:32 PM
If the script for EP2 has been stolen, and that's a BIG if, then it's only a matter of time before it gets out on the net. Whoever stole it is going to see very little in the way of reward. I mean, how much would you pay for something that can't be authenticated until the release of the movie? And how many times will he be able to sell it before it gets posted all over the net? And is the reward worth the risk?

The best thing TFN could have done was keep its mouth shut about the entire incident. They should have told their "source" they weren't interested and condemned his actions. In my opinion, they're not dealing with a source, they're dealing with a common thief. If it is a long time source/friend of the site, then they should terminate their relationship with the source immediately.

As for protecting the identity, I think they should turn him in. For this simple reason, the source wasn't reporting any news or providing any information. He was SELLING STOLEN GOODS. If he was offering the site the script for free, or offering them a review or synopsis then TFN has every right to protect the person as a "source". But their source was trying to sell them stolen goods and he should be ratted out and prosecuted as a thief.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 5th, 2000, 08:47:33 PM
Maybe a bit of extortion too!
You're right. TF.N shouldn't have said anything at all, and I think they should turn him in. Screw his value as an 'insider', save the spoiler info for another time. But if you look at it from their point of view, this matter can attract attention to their site, and if they ditch one of their insiders, and the juicy spoiler info goes away, so do the hits to their site.

Bromine
Sep 5th, 2000, 09:03:12 PM
TF.N has always tried to play both sides of the fence, giving fans what they want while staying in LFL's good graces. They do stuff like give away all their profits to charity, and always talk of LFL with respect. I think this is just an example of them trying not to upset anyone. Looks like they're going to have to bite the bullet and turn this guy in and risk looking like the "bad guy" to some people.
I agree, I don't know why they told LFL they had been offered the script, then refused to say whom. Should've either told them everything or kept their mouths shut.