PDA

View Full Version : Original Trilogy re-release

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 29th, 2000, 12:03:34 PM
From <a href="http://www.starwars.com/episode-i/news/2000/35/news4a.html">the Official Site:
</a>
<font color="yellow">

Trilogy Returns to VHS

August 29, 2000 -- Unavailable for the past three years, the Star Wars Trilogy will be released by Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment (TCFHE) on VHS videocassette on November 21, 2000 for a limited time. The millions of new fans who discovered Star Wars for the first time with the release of Episode I, can now continue the adventure and explore the most popular film saga of all time. Children and parents alike will now be able to follow the adventures of such timeless trilogy characters as the strong-willed Princess Leia, heroic Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and his sidekick Chewbacca, the trusty droids C-3PO and R2-D2, and the wise Jedi master Yoda.
The limited time release will be available in both Pan and Scan and Widescreen. It features an exclusive, ten-minute sneak peak of the next installment in the Star Wars saga, Episode II. This bonus introduction describes how the film will fit into the overall saga and includes interviews with George Lucas, as well as new and returning cast and crew members. Episode II is currently in production in Australia, Tunisia, Spain and England and scheduled for release in the summer of 2002. TCFHE will make additional copies of the top-selling Episode I available on VHS videocassettte for the holidays. The Star Wars Trilogy, as seen in theaters and on video in 1997, is priced at $39.98/$44.98 Canada (S.R.P.). Episode I will be priced at $19.98.

Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi have entertained and inspired moviegoers for decades by exploring the conflict between good and evil, and between technology and humanity. They strike a chord by celebrating heroism and the limitless potential of the individual. The trilogy was a defining event for one generation and now it can now be embraced by a new generation, assuring its place as a timeless epic of grand design and boundless fun. Releasing the Star Wars Trilogy at this time allows new fans as well as enthusiasts to enjoy the complete Star Wars collection. </font>
http://www.starwars.com/episode-i/news/2000/35/img/blackbox.jpghttp://www.starwars.com/episode-i/news/2000/35/img/whitebox.jpg

I think I prefer the black boxes over the white. No mention of which one is wide screen or pan & scan though. Or maybe that isn't how it's going to work at all.

Darth McBain
Aug 29th, 2000, 12:15:23 PM
What to do.... What to do..... I've got the OT Special Editions, but they're formatted to fit the screen. I know that one of these days, they'll have to put out all 6 on DVD, and I'm definitely going to get that (I don't have a DVD yet, but soon). But in the meantime, do I get this new box set or not? How much longer will I have my VCR around? Everything in me tells me to wait - that the ones I have are good enough to last until the DVD comes out. But on the other hand, its Star Wars... And I sure would like the widescreen and the EpII preview. Arghhh, decisions decisions...

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 29th, 2000, 01:12:32 PM
I'm going to buy them. I don't know how long it will be before the OT comes out on DVD, and my THX box set has already lost a significant amount of picture quality. Also my SE's are starting to show some signs of wear as well, which really annoys me. So hopefully I can make this box set last until the DVDs come out. Besides, Uncle George could use the spare pocket change he'll get from this! :)

Bromine
Aug 29th, 2000, 04:07:38 PM
I just bought the SE's a little while ago, so I'm waiting.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 29th, 2000, 05:03:48 PM
I would think about waiting for the DVD's as well, but I really want the widescreen editions!

Doc Milo
Aug 29th, 2000, 05:28:28 PM
I don't have the widescreens either, which is why I'm tempted to buy this release. In the end, though, I'll wait for the DVDs. I already have three different versions of the films: the original releases on tape; the THX release; and the SE release. I don't need any more VHS editions, even if I don't have any in widescreen (I had always hated widesceen because I didn't have a large screen to view them on, and the "bars" bothered me. Now I have a large screen TV and DVD, I have come to appreciate the widescreen versions of films. Still, not worth another VHS edition when I know I'll be buying the DVDs when it comes out.) Hopefully this edition will be available to rent. I'll do that if it is, to see the episode II footage.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 29th, 2000, 05:59:54 PM
I would suspect that this version wouldn't be available for rent because you can still find the SE's pretty easily in video stores. Plus they aren't that old yet, so they (video stores) probably wouldn't even want them. I used to hate the black bars, but now I've almost grown to love them, even if I've only got a 31" tv. But what do I know? the THX versions were available to rent, and so were the SE's, and they were only 2 years apart. There were huge differences between the two, and this new edition will probably be the same so we'll have to wait and see.

Aprentize
Aug 30th, 2000, 11:51:52 AM
I have the widescreen of the SE box. I didnt really understand, was this new box the SE, cuz it said that this was what came in the thaeatres in 97, and wasnt that the SE. If its the OT classic, ill definitly buy it (If it ever comes to Sweden...)

Bromine
Aug 30th, 2000, 05:10:02 PM
The silver or gold box with half of Vader's head is the SE's.

grand moff sauron
Aug 30th, 2000, 11:10:13 PM
I'm glad to hear that one of them is SE because My ROTJ SE has been giving me lots of crap recently and I need a replacement, but I don't know if they will sell these seperately because I don't need ANH or ESB SE and if I have to I'll wait till DVD to replace my video. I definitely hope that they are available for rent because I still want to see the EP2 footage really bad but I'm definitely not going to pay for a third VHS set.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 30th, 2000, 11:27:31 PM
Ask for it for a Christmas gift if you can't think of anything!

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 5th, 2000, 09:48:31 PM
Here's the cover art. Notice any discrepancy in the colors?
Also, is anyone else here bothered by the fact that Leia from ESB is used on the ANH box, Vader's TIE is used on the ESB box, and the Luke and Vader pose used on the ROTJ box is from ESB? I'm a little irked at that. I know they did the same thing with the SE's and I was bothered by it then. Either way, they're all still nice.
http://www.starwars.com/episode-i/news/2000/36/img/anh_bg.jpg
http://www.starwars.com/episode-i/news/2000/36/img/esb_bg.jpg
http://www.starwars.com/episode-i/news/2000/36/img/rotj_bg.jpg

Bromine
Sep 5th, 2000, 11:23:50 PM
I can forgive everything except the Leia discrepancy. That's really obvious.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 5th, 2000, 11:57:53 PM
Yeah, it's by far the worst one. I could also live with the Luke and Vader pose on the ROTJ cover, as long as they edited out Luke's blaster!

JediWilliam
Sep 6th, 2000, 12:32:26 PM
The blaster still there though.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 6th, 2000, 12:36:40 PM
Yeah, I know, I find that very annoying!

JediWilliam
Sep 6th, 2000, 12:45:27 PM
I think the ESB is my favorite though. Except that Ian McDirmat (SPELLING) is the Emperor is on the cover when some one else played him in the movie.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 6th, 2000, 12:57:03 PM
It was a woman that played him with a man's voice dubbed in later. I find ESB the nicest too. Geez, I am so biased to ESB, I find it the best SW movie, I find it has the best soundtrack, and the nicest posters.

JediWilliam
Sep 6th, 2000, 01:02:52 PM
The soundtrack goes without saying. I mean it was okay in ANH but ESB had the imperial march which undenialby kicks a**. Wait... It did have didn't it. When Vader enters the base on hoth, they play it right. I can't seem to recall it in ANH.

I don't know what I'm talking about, could someone help me please.