PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Baker....Royally SCREWED!!!

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 28th, 2000, 09:55:05 PM
As much as I love GL, I really feel bad for Kenny. It's like a slap in the face.

The IMDB posted some interesting news about Kenny Baker, who states that R2-D2 is computer generated in the future prequels.
<font color="yellow">
R2D2 actor Kenny Baker will not get the chance to re-create his character in future Star Wars movies - because he's being replaced by a computer. Kenny has been told that the robot he played for four smash movies will be computer generated in Star Wars: Episode II (2002). He says, "Of course I am disappointed. I missed the chance to go to Australia with the cast. I'm not in the movie to the extent I was expecting and no one has really explained to me why... George Lucas always told me that R2D2 really came alive when I was inside him. If they don't use human beings these movies are in danger of looking like Disney cartoons... The progress in digital and computer technology has been frightening. It was light years on from when I was in the first Star Wars movie."</font>

Bromine
Aug 28th, 2000, 11:15:20 PM
I feel for him, but let's be honest: All he did was swivel the head and rock the thing back and forth! I mean, it's not like he was that integral to the portrayal of the character, really. I think whoever did the sound FX was more important than him.
The line that really gets me is "If they don't use human beings these movies are in danger of looking like Disney cartoons". That's probably quite true, but R2-D2 is a bad example, considering a human will still be controlling him, just by remote instead of inside.

DvdJervs
Aug 28th, 2000, 11:23:03 PM
So our beloved R2 character is being replaced - by computers. How ironic.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 28th, 2000, 11:24:56 PM
Yeah, technically all he did was turn his head and rock the body, but it meant sooooo much to the poor little guy! He was at one of the conventions here, and when he would talk about himself as R2, he would beam and smile like it meant the world to him!

Darth McBain
Aug 29th, 2000, 09:54:28 AM
This is interesting in that it can be interpreted in different ways. Do you think R2D2 will be computer generated in the Jar-Jar sense (i.e. completely _created_ by a computer), or that it will be a real robot run by remote control (i.e. it really exists, but Kenny Baker is not inside.) According to the quote, it says "the robot [Kenny] played for four smash movies will be computer generated in Star Wars: Episode II". To me, that seems to imply it will be completely CG, which I think is a mistake. I loved the fact that he was tangibly there, it made him that much more "real" to me.
However, I do think that they did a pretty darn good job with the Gungans, Watto, and the other completely CG characters, and there's no reason to think that the technology will get any worse between Ep I and II - so I could see them creating a CG Artoo that is pretty convincing. Those things aside, though, I still think it sucks for Kenny Baker... He _is_ Artoo.

Thoughts?

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 29th, 2000, 11:55:31 AM
You're right Kenny Baker is R2. I don't see why Lucasfilm would want to change him to a CG character. It's not like he's a complex character that can only be accomplished digitally like jar jar or watto. They used a remote-controlled model for the last 4 movies, and it worked fine, unless they plan on doing things with Artoo that we haven't seen yet. Like those silly rocket boosters that he's supposed to have.

Jedi Master Carr
Aug 29th, 2000, 12:47:10 PM
theforce.net said that he was going to be a robot run by remote control which would make more sense than a cgi R2

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 29th, 2000, 01:16:04 PM
Maybe Kenny is off his rocker a little. But who do you think would know more? TF.N and their spies, or Kenny, who presumably had some contact with LFL?

Bromine
Aug 29th, 2000, 04:06:02 PM
I don't see how a CG R2 would make any sense. It's very expensive and time consuming to create 3D animation and integrate it into an existing scene. It makes much more sense for them to simply use a robot. A CG R2 would have no practical value.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 29th, 2000, 05:07:14 PM
You're right, it doesn't make any sense at all, in any way, so either Kenny has no idea what he's saying, Kenny never said anything at all, and the statement is a fake, or they're going to do something with R2 that can't be achieved with a model. Or maybe they just like making life difficult for themselves! :)

EP5GRAFLEX
Aug 29th, 2000, 09:32:07 PM
When I first read the credits with Kenny Baker as R2-D2 I thought he was the Remote Control operator. When I found out Kenny Baker actually got inside the droid. I was totally stoked! Whats next to be CG? Gold plated C-3po?(Anthony Daniels). Darth Vader? Seesh Might as well make the human character's CG!

"Technology is our servant NOT our master"....hey what happened to my computer, it shut off!:lol

Darth McBain
Aug 30th, 2000, 11:17:55 AM
According to cinescape.com, it looks like Artoo is to be completely CG:

"Word has it that, for the most part, Kenny Baker will not be
playing R2D2 in Star Wars: Episode Two. According to the
IMDB, Baker and the robotic suit he wore will be replaced by
a CG image of R2."

We've heard reports going both ways, so I don't know who to believe. Personally, I think that a CG Artoo is a lousy idea, although it could probably be done well by ILM. I think they should only use a CG Artoo if they absolutely have to (i.e. for very complex shots), and use a Kenny Baker or radio controlled Artoo for the bulk of the shots.

Interesting that cinescape's source of info is the same as the start of this thread, IMDB. It could just be cinescape's interpretation of the quote, or maybe they know something more? Who knows... There is just so much speculation out there, its tough to sort through all the bullsh*t...

Aprentize
Aug 30th, 2000, 12:07:12 PM
A CG R2 is totally unnesessary in many aspects. 1: Artoo is a droid, a ROBOT, wich would mean that a robot would the best possible actor for the role. 2: He is a non moving character. With that, i mean: NO speaking mouth, NO arms waving around (well, not more than that a robot couldnt do it better). I just doesnt make any sense.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 30th, 2000, 01:06:59 PM
There's only one explanation for it. R2 is Anakin's father, and at the same time, is also Sio Bibble's nephew and was horribly disfigured fixing the family speeder, which later became Luke's (hence the reason R2 spilt the Lars homestead in ANH--the flashbacks). So what this all means is that R2 is obviously going to be involved in some complex shots in Episode 2, and therefore a CG R2 makes perfect sense. :)

Jidai Geki
Aug 30th, 2000, 01:07:12 PM
F--- Lucas and all his CGI bulls--t! Why doesn't he just do the whole thing as a CG animated cartoon. He should spend less time on this nonsense and focus more on his actors and storytelling. All the computers in the world can't help his movie if his script, directing, and story are as terrible as TPM was.

Bromine
Aug 30th, 2000, 05:08:40 PM
This rumour is complete crap, people. Don't believe it for a second. CG is only useful when traditional methods can't accomplish the look. ILM knows this; they're not stupid. I repeat, don't believe this rumour for a second. I'll gladly stake my reputation (for what it's worth) and GUARANTEE you this isn't true. Simple logic.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 30th, 2000, 05:21:02 PM
I like to believe it's false too. But why would they quote Kenny Baker like that? Probably another misconstrued quote if you ask me.

Bromine
Aug 30th, 2000, 06:12:32 PM
Definitely misconstrued. Seems to me he was just making a general statement about how it's going to be a robot and not a human inside. Like I said, it's completely ludicrous that they'd make a CG R2. Makes no sense at all.

EP5GRAFLEX
Aug 30th, 2000, 08:39:18 PM
you mean R2's not REAL!!!:)

Darth McBain
Aug 30th, 2000, 09:03:30 PM
Interesting that the official site just posted something about Kenny Baker's return to the filming. They say that having Kenny inside Artoo lends him a certain degree of humanity, which I agree with. I agree with you, Bromine - I think that whatever the case, false rumors or miscommunications, this is probably false. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Jedi Master Kyle
Aug 30th, 2000, 09:12:25 PM
Here it is, from the official site (http://www.starwars.com/episode-ii/news/2000/35/news3a.html):
<font color="yellow">
Baker Returns
August 31, 2000 -- Kenny Baker, the man inside Artoo-Detoo in the first four Star Wars films, will join Anthony Daniels (C-3PO) as the only actors to appear in the entire original trilogy and both prequel films when he catches up with the Episode II production team in a few weeks.
"The character of R2-D2 continues to play an important role and requires much more movement in Episode II." George Lucas said. "The robotics technology inside the Artoo models have advanced to the point where they can achieve most of the performance I need right along side the other actors. Still, there's an element of humanity to Artoo that comes from having Kenny Baker inside. We've always had Kenny scheduled for a number of shots during the final week of shooting at Elstree Studios." </font>

So it sounds like there won't be any CG Artoo, but it also sounds like Kenny won't be in the model as much as he used to be. Oh well, at least we won't be getting a Disney movie!

Bromine
Aug 30th, 2000, 10:14:04 PM
Told you so!;)

Grendel 666
Aug 31st, 2000, 04:04:33 AM
OH MY GOD! THEY CANNED KENNY! YOU BASTARDS!!!

Had to get that out my system. "Move along, move along..."

mez7
Aug 31st, 2000, 08:08:48 PM
i find most of the stuff reported at AICN is crap,

i cant count how many times theyve reproted something as truths as in "this came from the actors/directors mouth" when its tottal crap
personally i dont even go their anymore

Jedieb
Aug 31st, 2000, 10:12:37 PM
I'm glad to hear that rumor was garbage. A CG Artoo just wouldn't have "felt" right. And they used a robot R2 in ANH as well. It just didn't work right half the time but Baker wasn't in there all of the time. So I see no problem with the robot R2 getting more and more screen time as the prequels move along. It's just ILM taking advantage of improving technology. I don't think that Lucas would ever kick Baker completely out of R2. I really do think he adds a touch of "humanity" to R2. And plus he's just so darn cute!

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 7th, 2000, 09:50:33 AM
Whatever the case may be, this stupid story won't go away!
www.theage.com.au/enterta...0Sep7.html (http://www.theage.com.au/entertainment/20000908/A52643-2000Sep7.html)
This just came out today! Are they dumb or what?

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 7th, 2000, 01:43:40 PM
They don't even mention that Baker NOW is going to be in the suit. They are probably so behind they probably haven't even heard it considering that this story was big news last week and now no one (but this site) seems to care about it.

Darth23
Sep 7th, 2000, 03:18:49 PM
On a historical note, Baker wasn't inside R2 very much after the first one, and he was arely in it at all in ROTJ. (I think he had enough time to play an Ewok also).

There was a rumor that he and Peter Mayhew had a quick walk through in a Tatooine scene in TPM. I'm not sure it it was ever confirmed that it was them.

So has IMDB or whoever published the first report printed a retraction? ;)

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 7th, 2000, 03:53:29 PM
Yes, Kenny Baker did play an ewok in ROTJ, and no, IMDB did not post a retraction.

mez7
Sep 7th, 2000, 07:01:22 PM
they wont print a retraction,
that would be admiting they dont know how to report stuff corectly,

as in not reporting something as a truth that is not confirmed,

Bromine
Sep 7th, 2000, 08:02:25 PM
Remember the good old days when you could actually believe some of the stuff you read in the news?;)

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 7th, 2000, 09:18:47 PM
The biggest problem with the internet!