PDA

View Full Version : colors

JediWilliam
Sep 5th, 2000, 12:51:26 PM
I'm sorry. But I'm doing a report in school about color meanings, and I wanted to connect colors meaning and star wars. Does anyone here know of any in particular? BEsides LUkes black clothes in ROTJ as possibly turning to the dark side. ANy help here would be hot.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 5th, 2000, 05:02:22 PM
If you don't mind feeding your professor some speculation, you can write about the blue senate guards that accompany valorum and palpy and compare them to the red guards that accompany the emperor in ROTJ. You can emphasize the red as being agressive and violent, like the Empire. If i think of any others, I'll post them.

Bromine
Sep 5th, 2000, 06:51:43 PM
Here's what I remember from various documentaries and such:
The Empire had an absence of colour: Everything was black, white, or shades of grey. That gave it a cold and lifeless feeling.
Unlike the original trilogy with the black/white colours, in TPM the characters wore a lot of earth tones to make it less clear who was evil and who was good.
As for lightsabre colours, I don't know if there's any REAL significance there, aside from contrasting red/blue for good/evil. The green blade was used only because blue wouldn't show up against a blue sky. There's a lot of speculation out there, though.

Here's my speculation: In the original trilogy, just about every main good guy wore white: Leia, Luke, Mon Mothma, Admiral Ackbar. Han wore a white shirt, for what that's worth. The Emporer, Darth Vader, and the Death Star Troopers wore all black.
Also, the Death Star was grey(cold, lifeless) and it destroyed Alderaan(colourful and full of life).

EP5GRAFLEX
Sep 5th, 2000, 07:09:39 PM
How about lightsaber blades...Red for sith...Blue for Jedi Knights and Green for the rouge Jedi.

Jedi-Rocker

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 5th, 2000, 07:44:43 PM
But stormtroopers wore white! oh no! another conspiracy! :)

JediWilliam
Sep 6th, 2000, 12:30:09 PM
Thanks guys, this is great stuff. I hadn't thought about the lifelessness of the empire with all the greys, blacks and whites. But I had thought about the red and blue of the royal guards, with red being fierce and violent and the blue being passive and calm. But thanks again. If you have any more let me know.

Ben Carozza
Sep 12th, 2000, 11:30:53 AM
Without getting too nitpicky, Luke's main outfits in the three movies make a cool transition:

Ep iv -- white, ep v -- grey, ep vi -- black

(I've always taken the black outfit as more of a recognition of and a coming to terms with Luke's roots. Throughout ROTJ Luke accepts who his father is and because of this understands who HE himself is.)

The outfit changes mirror his loss of innocence and rise into wisdom/jedihood, I would imagine. As well as his reconciliation of opposites (balance) -- an important quality for any great hero.

What do you think?

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 12th, 2000, 11:51:00 AM
I think it's absolutely true about the white costume signifying Luke's innocence and naivete and the black costume representing the fact that he is no longer innocent (he isn't guilty either :) ). I think the black just means that he's wiser, and not naive anymore.