PDA

View Full Version : What has GL borrowed from EU?

Aprentize
Sep 14th, 2000, 12:27:46 PM
There are some stuff that GL has liked about the EU, and then used, i heard. So what is this.... It could be the sith..... but i guess he wanted their story explained anyway... Melan KOTH, Eeth KOTH, hmmmmmmmmm. BOONTA spice, BOONTA eve, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Sounds suspishiously (sp) alike.... Any more?

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 14th, 2000, 01:30:46 PM
Coruscant first appeared in the EU.

mez7
Sep 14th, 2000, 02:25:17 PM
wrong
couruscant was in the very first rough draft of ROTJ

preproduction drawings were made of it as well, Starwars.com had an article about it a year or so ago,

Ben Carozza
Sep 14th, 2000, 02:26:01 PM
Although the idea for the seat of the Republic/Empire being a planet covered by a city predates EU fiction, doesn't it?

Didn't Lucas want to use it in the OT but couldn't because in the late 70s and early 80s the sfx couldn't live up to his vision. It was only until the SEs that he got to at least add the planet into the celebrations at the end of ROTJ.

Maybe the name is an EU creation.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 14th, 2000, 03:20:04 PM
Yeah, you're right about Coruscant predating EU fiction, GL always had it in mind, but it only came to being in Zahn's books. So I guess you could argue that one.

Bromine
Sep 14th, 2000, 04:37:19 PM
I believe the Sith themselves were first developed in the EU. Vader was referred to as "The Dark Lord of the Sith", but we never knew what the Sith were. According to an interview, Timothy Zahn wanted to name the Noghri aliens "Sith", to explain Vader's title, but LFL said no. Later, they gave Andersen permission to write about a line of Dark Side users called the Sith.
Whether GL gives the idea to an author or the author thinks it up himself, if it first appears in the EU I usually just refer to it as originating in the EU. It seems GL has a lot of input on what's put in the EU, though.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 14th, 2000, 04:50:52 PM
I think it's best that way. The Star Wars universe is GL's creation, and it only seems right that GL can have alot of say in what shape he wants it to take.

Darth23
Sep 15th, 2000, 03:52:58 PM
Maybe....

As long as he doesn't give the go ahead to Whack Chewie.....

>:-(

Bromine
Sep 15th, 2000, 03:56:02 PM
Nobody lives forever. Besides, he didn't do much besides tag along with somone else and growl a bit.;)