PDA

View Full Version : episode 2 competition

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 13th, 2000, 11:15:26 PM
Looks like Star Wars is going to have a bit of competition in the month of May in 2002. According to SpiderManHype.Com, Sony has pushed the release date of the Spider-Man movie from November 2001 to May 3, 2002. This will put them in close competition with each other. Man, the marketing blitzes for both films are going to be massive. For more Spider-Man coverage, visit MovieHeadlines.Net.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 13th, 2000, 11:39:43 PM
I would think sony be dumb enough to put spider man that close to Ep2 because once it came out Spiderman grosses would go way down. If they do move it I would think they would put in July like with X-Men at least there it is off on its own.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 14th, 2000, 10:34:47 AM
Wasn't the Mummy released in early may or late april last summer? And we all know what happened to that movie after TPM was released...

Aprentize
Sep 14th, 2000, 12:23:51 PM
I heard ep2 already has a movie to compete with: Matrix 2.
Its going to be released at the same time as ep2. Boxoffice experts say the competition is going to be even, but ep2 will prbably win...

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 14th, 2000, 01:29:41 PM
Of course Ep 2 is going to win! Most Matrix fans are even bigger star wars fans! :)

Ben Carozza
Sep 14th, 2000, 02:29:50 PM
It's kind of dumb running a potential blockbuster head to head with another one. You're essentially dividing and conquoring yourself. Everyone stands to win from keeping big movies apart.

Then again these studios are the ones that keep giving Kevin Costner $$ to make science fiction "epics", so who knows?

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 14th, 2000, 03:14:40 PM
I read that Matrix 2 is coming out winter of 2001 and that Matrix 3 will come out sometime in 2002, I seriously doubt that the makers of The Matrix would want to face off with the largest sci-fi series of all time, and with the looming strike I am sure it would that the best stragety would be to release all three films in different time periods during the Summer, anyway where did you get this information, Aprentize.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 14th, 2000, 03:22:02 PM
I heard that they would be released fairly close together, but I don't think there's any way that they can have Matrix 2 ready for winter 2001, They haven't even begun filming it yet.

Bromine
Sep 14th, 2000, 04:31:44 PM
I'd expect May 2002 to have nothing but movies that wouldn't compete with Star Wars: romantic comedies, cartoons, etc. Matrix and Spiderman target the exact same demographic as Star Wars, so it seems rather stupid to put them up against each other.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 14th, 2000, 04:49:03 PM
I think they'll both avoid Star Wars by about a month, either before or after.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 14th, 2000, 07:31:24 PM
Well I heard that a few months ago they may have changed their plans by now. Still they are going to have Jurassic Park 3 out by next summer and they have just started filming. I'm not sure how they are going to do it. Same with Pearl Harbor which has just filming right now. Regardless, I doubt that Matrix 2 will be released the same time as EP2 that is just stupid. Matrix2 would get killed.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 14th, 2000, 08:08:27 PM
I've already seen the trailer for Pearl Harbor. It must be near completion by now, no?

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 14th, 2000, 11:40:23 PM
They sure filmed it fast then, i rememeber just a month and a half ago that they had just started filming.

Aprentize
Sep 15th, 2000, 11:11:28 AM
i know ive read it somewhere that matrix 2 will come out then. it might have been in the SW Magazine, or some swedish newspaper...... i can do some checking and see if i can find the article.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 15th, 2000, 04:08:34 PM
yeah, I saw the trailer for pearl harbor with coyote ugly.

Jedieb
Sep 16th, 2000, 12:12:34 AM
Opening Spiderman 2-3 weeks before or after EP2 wouldn't be a bad idea. Austin Powers didn't do too badly did it? EP2 will more likely win the summer and year and produce the same spillover effect that TPM did. If both the Matrix and Spiderman are released that summer I think that Titanic, TPM, and ET will be safe from EP2. :(

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 16th, 2000, 09:03:06 AM
Agreed.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 16th, 2000, 12:02:52 PM
Not neccessarly, there is the possibility that Matrix2 and spider-man will suck which could limit their box office gross. Also I disagree with your comparrison of Spider-Man and Austin Power. Austin Powers open afterwards which is what helped Spider-Man will make all of its money before EP2 and once it comes out it will get creamed. I think it is closer to the Mummy but where Spider-Man will probably do about 170 versus the Mummy's 150. Matrix 2 I think will come out in July because they haven't started filming yet and I doubt they could complete in time for a May or June release, that is my opinion at least. If that happens then there EP 2 would not be in direct competion with it. The sixth Sense opened in July and made close to 300 million and was not or did not hurt TPM's gross. Finally we still do not know the impact that the strike will have on that Summer if these are the only three major releases, which very well could happen. I am sure Warner Brothers and Sony would shuffle their release dates to benefit from that lack of competion and all three movies would soar at the box office.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 16th, 2000, 03:15:46 PM
Well let's put it this way; the only thing that can help episode 2 is episode 2. Nothing will add to it's gross, it can only help to take attention away from it, at least for a little while.