PDA

View Full Version : Something that would really suck.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 29th, 2000, 09:07:46 PM
With all the missfired laser blasts from fighters and star ships flying through open space, with nothing to stop them, wouldn't it suck if you were out one day, just cruising around in space, when all of a sudden you're blown away by errant ship fire that could have been travelling for years?

Just a thought.

buff jedi 2
Sep 29th, 2000, 09:49:44 PM
LMAO!!!!!!!

Bromine
Sep 29th, 2000, 09:53:22 PM
LOL!:)

Actually, I think they would dissipate rather quickly. Hard to say.
On the other hand, if you're talking about the debris from explosions, I think that its incredible speed would mean it would eventually be pulled in by a gravitational body such as a planet. That's the reason we don't have to worry too much about meteors or asteroids falling to earth: The larger, denser planets act like vaccuum cleaners, pulling them in before they get to Earth.
Little science lesson for ya, kids.;)

EP5GRAFLEX
Sep 30th, 2000, 03:53:40 AM
I'll tell ya what would really suck.....If GL keeled over dead before completing and writing EP2 and EP3.

That would totally suck......
:|

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 30th, 2000, 11:07:58 AM
knock on wood goddamit!

Bromine
Sep 30th, 2000, 05:43:46 PM
Don't jinx it, man!

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 30th, 2000, 06:16:01 PM
Would the laser blasts dissipate? What would cause them to lose their energy? Any physics buffs here?

Aprentize
Oct 1st, 2000, 08:13:44 AM
I have actually done some thinking around the GL matter too, and you guys just cant deny the question. WHAT IF, I say WHAT IF george died before completing the movies, what would happen? Its an awful question, but if it happens, there is no stopping it or reversing it. Whata scary thought. *Knockin on wood*

Doc Milo
Oct 1st, 2000, 01:03:29 PM
I don't think the laser blasts would dissipate, but the odds are that they would be sucked into the gravity well of a planet or star and burn up in atmosphere or corona.

Jedi Master Kyle
Oct 1st, 2000, 03:09:07 PM
No doubt that would happen in time, but there can be an awful lot of space between stars and planets and some may never get sucked in by anything and just sail forever.

Bromine
Oct 1st, 2000, 07:01:14 PM
But by the same token, all that space would seriously diminish the chances of a ship being hit by one...intriguing thought.

If the unthinkable should happen to GL, it would be the end of Star Wars movies. The EU would still live on, but I don't think it would be as good. Look what happened to Star Trek after Gene Roddennberry died: Sure, it took a while to go completely down the crapper, but there was a noticeable change in the writing shortly after his death. Not to mention the new series that are popping up with his name attached (Earth Final Conflict and that new one with Kevin Sorbo). It's a true insult when someone takes a famous person's name and slaps it on a product without permission.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 1st, 2000, 08:01:32 PM
I am sure George has plans in place just in case he died. First EP 2 is basically done so even if he died tomorrow the film would still get released. As far as EP3 goes I think you would Steven Spielberg step in being a close friend of Lucas he might decided to make the movie in tribute to his friend. Still this is all hypothetical since I think GL will die before the films are completed.

ReaperFett
Oct 1st, 2000, 08:11:02 PM
Still this is all hypothetical since I think GL will die before the films are completed

Carr, what do you know that you aren't telling us?

Jedi Master Kyle
Oct 1st, 2000, 08:35:23 PM
What kind of frickin negativity is that???? He's not THAT old, and he isn't in the poorest of condition. But having Spielberg take over would be the only suitable replacement, aside from ending the series altogether.

Jedi Master Carr
Oct 1st, 2000, 09:42:07 PM
Whoops I made a mistake I meant he will not die. I am certain he is the best of health he has the best doctors I have not read anything that said he had some kind of disease. I was just speaking hypothetically.

EP5GRAFLEX
Oct 2nd, 2000, 01:01:27 AM
He needs to cut down on the fatty foods notice GL during making of SW...(YOU TOO SKINNY! YOU EAT SOMETHING)...to now!
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=990791&a=7280781&p=29733439&Sequence=0&res=high:lol:

Special Thanks to ObiWan2 for posting this in the Replica Movie Props Forum.

Jedi-Rocker:)

Darth McBain
Oct 2nd, 2000, 09:24:31 AM
On the laser blast question, there is no way that they would "burn up". They are pure energy and therefore burning is an impossible notion. They could get bent into a star's or black hole's gravity though, in which case it would dissipate rather quickly. If that were not to happen though, it would travel an awful long time, but it would eventually dissipate. While its pretty darn close, outer space is not quite empty. There are lots of particles floating around. The chances are good that eventually, the laser blast would come upon some of these particles, which would absorb some of its energy and slowly dissipate the blast. If you think about it, we can see the light from stars which are millions of light years away - however a certain percentage of that light is absorbed or scattered by particles in space long before it gets to us. A laser blast is nothing more than that, concentrated light. But the amount of light is so many orders of magnitude less than that of a star, it is unlikely that it would travel too far before a lot of its energy is dispersed or scattered by collision with particles or gravitational effects.
That is an interesting notion, though - getting blasted out of the blue by a random shot fired millions of years ago... I hope the Death Star never fired and missed - some planet is gonna get it eventually... :)

Bromine
Oct 2nd, 2000, 04:47:41 PM
Also, the blast is continually giving off energy in the form of light, so eventually its energy would be entirely used up.

Darth McBain
Oct 2nd, 2000, 05:02:58 PM
Actually, you never "see" a laser. If you see a laser beam, that means that there is some medium in front of the laser, such as dust. Just think about that laser pointers you see in a lot of classrooms today. You never see a beam of light, you just see the dot on the wall. The fact that you can actually "see" the laser blasts in the SW space battles means that either:

1) There is an extreme amount of microscopic space debris in these fights, which act as a medium and allow us to see the laser blast
2) LucasFilm is taking liberties with the laws of physics (which I personally don't mind - I love to watch the laser blasts)
3) The "laser blasts" are actually not pure energy, but consist of some matter as well, which glows as it is fired.

Don't quote me on this, but I always thought that the SW laser blasts were just that - blasts of pure energy with no matter - so that would discount theory 3. As for theory 1, if there were that much junk evenly distributed in space (which appears so due to the consistency of the view of the laser blast), it would pose a serious threat to the starships and a good number of them would likely blow up due to collisions with these particles (yes, even small pieces of matter, travelling at high speeds, can destroy a ship - NASA takes these into account whenever it launches spaceships).
So it looks like what we knew all along - LucasFilm is taking some liberties... Is that such a bad thing, though??? I think that 2001 is one of the more realistic space movies, and apart from the philosophical questions it poses (which I don't want to waste my time arguing for or against here) it isn't the most interesting movie as far as pure space scenes go (apart from that acid-trip at the end of the movie). I'd rather have an exciting movie with a few physical inaccuracies than a boring movie that has everything physically correct.

Darth McBain
Oct 2nd, 2000, 05:04:27 PM
Actually, you never "see" a laser. If you see a laser beam, that means that there is some medium in front of the laser, such as dust. If you see a laser, you are seeing its light energy reflecting (for lack of a better word) off of the particle it came in contact. If a laser doesn't come into contact with anything, it will not give off any of its energy. Just think about that laser pointers you see in a lot of classrooms today. You never see a beam of light, you just see the dot on the wall. The fact that you can actually "see" the laser blasts in the SW space battles means that either:

1) There is an extreme amount of small space debris in these fights, which act as a medium and allow us to see the laser blast
2) LucasFilm is taking liberties with the laws of physics (which I personally don't mind - I love to watch the laser blasts)
3) The "laser blasts" are actually not pure energy, but consist of some matter as well, which glows as it is fired.

Don't quote me on this, but I always thought that the SW laser blasts were just that - blasts of pure energy with no matter - so that would discount theory 3. As for theory 1, if there were that much junk evenly distributed in space (which appears so due to the consistency of the view of the laser blast), it would pose a serious threat to the starships and a good number of them would likely blow up due to collisions with these particles (yes, even small pieces of matter, travelling at high speeds, can destroy a ship - NASA takes these into account whenever it launches spaceships).
So it looks like what we knew all along - LucasFilm is taking some liberties... Is that such a bad thing, though??? I think that 2001 is one of the more realistic space movies, and apart from the philosophical questions it poses (which I don't want to waste my time arguing for or against here) it isn't the most interesting movie as far as pure space scenes go (apart from that acid-trip at the end of the movie). I'd rather have an exciting movie with a few physical inaccuracies than a boring movie that has everything physically correct.

*** Sorry for the duplicate post.... Network troubles..... :( ***

Bromine
Oct 2nd, 2000, 06:08:10 PM
Interesting...I've never really thought of the blasters you see in Star Wars as being lasers, since they clearly aren't moving at the speed of light. I guess all we really need to know is that they're enrgy of some form, at they go boom.:)

I agree, you've got to take creative liberties. Technically, we shouldn't hear any sounds in space, either.

Doc Milo
Oct 2nd, 2000, 06:39:21 PM
I always assumed they were some combination of light and matter, but that's just me...

As for taking privleges with the laws of physics -- that's the beauty of sci-fantasy -- you get to create your own science. As long as things are consistant to the science you've created within the story, then who cares if it can really happen or not by the laws of physics... :)

EP5GRAFLEX
Oct 2nd, 2000, 06:48:01 PM
Yeah, as long as were entertained thier job is done! If you want hard scientific facts watch Discovery Channel! If you want WOW! treat yourself to a Action-Packed Sci-Fi flick! Trying to prove Sci-Fi thoeries does make for interesting coversation!

Jedi Master Kyle
Oct 2nd, 2000, 06:54:30 PM
Lucas always talks about the ways in which he bends the laws of science to suit his galaxy, another example would be noise and sound effects in space. Funny how no one really thinks of that until he brings it up. Now think about how boring star wars would be if we could't see the laser blasts, or hear the ships passing by!

EP5GRAFLEX
Oct 2nd, 2000, 07:54:16 PM
..and how often do you hear mood fitting dramatic loud THX quality theme music when you're going about your daily business!:lol: