PDA

View Full Version : Time Measurements

Darth McBain
Apr 16th, 2001, 12:03:28 PM
I'd be surprised if this hasn't been addressed already in the forums...

How is time measured in the SW Universe? I was thinking about this while watching ESB and Yoda says "for 800 years have I trained Jedi ... " What does a year mean anyway? We've defined it to be the amount of time it takes the Earth to revolve around the Sun, but that is basically an arbitrary measurement. Using that same definition, every planet orbiting a star will have a different year. For all we know, 10 of Yoda's years could equal 1 of our years, making Yoda not so old after all. I'm not saying that's the case, but it just makes for interesting speculation.
You would think that with a Universe such as the SW Universe, in which there are many species from different planets interacting with each other, that there would be somewhat of a standard measurement of what constitutes a year, month, day, etc...
I don't know if this has been addressed in the EU at all - I haven't delved into too many of the books, so for all I know it is discussed there. Anyone know what the deal is with this?

ReaperFett
Apr 16th, 2001, 12:14:57 PM
ten months is a year

Darth McBain
Apr 16th, 2001, 12:46:50 PM
Not to belabor the point, but what's a month? It is just as arbitrary a measurement as a year. Also, where did you get that figure?

Jedi Master Carr
Apr 16th, 2001, 01:00:30 PM
Good question, I have never really thought about it before either and I am not sure if I can find the answer in the EU. As far as I know they have never brought it up, of course I haven't read every EU book and comic, so I can't say for certain. This is probably a good question to ask the Jedi Council on Star wars.com.

Doc Milo
Apr 16th, 2001, 03:04:52 PM
The SW Encyclopedia, as I remember, said something about there being a "Standard Year" and "Standard Time Parts."

I believe it might have even said that the Standard Time Parts and Standard Months, Standard Years, etc, are based on Coruscant Time. I don't know if it's the SW Encyclopedia that said that, or if I read that in another source book, though...

ReaperFett
Apr 16th, 2001, 06:43:18 PM
an admin at TF.N Literatre. It was in a RPG sourcebook I believe. Its been confirmed by Isard, whos knowledgable in this sort of thing too

PropReplicator
May 30th, 2001, 04:54:46 PM
I think you're thinking too hard.:lol:

Seriously, though, a "standard Year" is like an earth year. Same with months, days, etc.