PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on EP IV

Darth McBain
Apr 8th, 2001, 07:44:19 AM
Just FYI, this is nothing profound or anything - just some thoughts... For all I know this has already been discussed at length...

The other day I popped in ANH to watch it for the who knows how many'th time and was thinking about the part right after Obi-Wan dies. Obi-Wan tells Luke to run. I had always just dismissed this as Obi-Wan protecting Luke and telling him to run so he doesn't get killed by the Stormtroopers. For some reason though, as I watched it this time, I got the impression that Obi-Wan was protecting Luke from turning to the Dark Side. It is established that Luke is very strong with the Force ("The Force is strong with this one") at this point, however has little to no training in it. However, his attitude leanings could sway him to either the Dark or Light side. Watching Obi-Wan get cut down, Luke is angry, afraid, and lashes out - the sure path to the Dark Side ("Anger, Fear, Aggression, the Dark Side are they...") Obi-Wan knows a lot more about the grand scheme of things than he lets on in ANH, and he cannot let Luke turn to the Dark Side. By telling Luke to run, he is almost telling him to just get out of here - let it wash over you - Don't give in to hate...
It is also interesting, because Obi-Wan himself found himself in the same situation with Qui-Gon and Darth Maul. He gave in to his anger briefly, and yes - it made him powerful, but it was dangerous nonetheless.

Anyway, I watched it pretty late and maybe I was just reading too much in to it. Thoughts, anyone???

Darth23
Apr 11th, 2001, 12:47:22 AM
Hmmm

Cool insight! I always thought that that scene showed using the force to blast the Stormtroopers. They're 'clumsy, random' weapons, but Luke hits liek 5 stormtroopers in a row AND the door control with only 1 missed shot or two (at the most).

Of course, with Vader on his way, Obi Wan coudl have also been saving Luke from HIM as well.

Darth McBain
Apr 11th, 2001, 09:27:19 AM
Of course - there's no way Luke could have defeated Vader at that point... That would be a pretty funny matchup actually, to watch Vader toy with him...

In this I also get the impression of a cycle repeating itself. Obi-Wan saw his master get cut down and it caused him to give in momentarily to the Dark Side, but he faced it and ultimately came away stronger. Perhaps he was trying to give Luke the same experience that he had so that Luke would become stronger and be able to face Vader alone. In fact, when he says "... If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine", maybe he doesn't mean that _he_ (Obi-Wan, that is) will become more powerful, but that his death will create one more powerful (Luke) that will challenge Vader later.

I guess it was kind of an expensive lesson - to just give yourself up, but between Lord Vader and the stormtroopers right outside the door, Obi-Wan probably realized there wasn't much he could do to get out of there alive. It would be interesting to speculate GL's vision (ignoring the volume of books in the EU) for Luke, to see if he would have taken an apprentice and something similar might have happened...

Well, those are my philosophical thoughts for the day. On a completely unrelated note, does anyone else think that Artoo's "eye" is reminiscent of HAL-9000's from 2001? Kinda creepy if it is...

"Fire up the converters, Artoo"
>> "I'm afraid I can't do that, Luke"

Darth23
Apr 19th, 2001, 12:46:19 AM
I'm wondering if Obi Wan maybe sacrificed partly because he felt he deserved punishment for something we'll see in Ep 2 or Ep 3......

Darth McBain
Apr 19th, 2001, 02:19:15 PM
In the novelization of ROTJ, Obi-Wan tells Luke of his failure in training Anakin and feels a lot of regret for his actions. I think that he carried this guilt with him throughout Ep 2 and 3. Perhaps you're on to something there - that he felt he deserved punishment... I think a lot will be revealed by the upcoming episodes.

PropReplicator
May 28th, 2001, 09:21:00 AM
In fact, when he says "... If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine", maybe he doesn't mean that _he_ (Obi-Wan, that is) will become more powerful, but that his death will create one more powerful (Luke) that will challenge Vader later.
I think you're on the right track, there.:)

DaBoSsNaStY
May 28th, 2001, 10:54:22 PM
maybe he got a deal out for sacrificing himself, one for not training Anakin right,to save Luke, and get the info. to the Rebbels...to start the chain reaction to bring down the Empire. By this, ObiWan set things right with the force...

obiwan shinobi
May 29th, 2001, 02:26:31 AM
In this I also get the impression of a cycle repeating itself. Obi-Wan saw his master get cut down and it caused him to give in momentarily to the Dark Side, but he faced it and ultimately came away stronger. Perhaps he was trying to give Luke the same experience that he had so that Luke would become stronger and be able to face Vader alone. In fact, when he says "... If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine", maybe he doesn't mean that _he_ (Obi-Wan, that is) will become more powerful, but that his death will create one more powerful (Luke) that will challenge Vader later.

great point - I like the tie-in with Qui-Gon :)

PropReplicator
May 30th, 2001, 04:42:54 PM
I don't know, I think George has been repeating himself a little too much lately.:/

Darth McBain
May 31st, 2001, 09:34:26 AM
Interesting thought, Boss. It brings up the line "You refer to the one who will bring balance to the Force..." I think it is established that it is Anakin who will ultimately bring that balance, but Obi-Wan may have somewhat levelled the scales or at least put something in motion to aid the Light Side by his sacrafice.