PDA

View Full Version : Which SW film had the best lightsaber duel

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 2nd, 2000, 09:45:01 PM

Jedieb
Sep 2nd, 2000, 10:52:19 PM
This was really a tough vote for me but my Empire bias prevailed, as usual. Technically, the final duel in TPM is the most impressive. But Empire was the most emotionally gripping for me. And the sword play and action were quite impressive. Another edge for Empire was the dialogue. How many of you have stopped and thought about the fact that the TPM duels are the only lightsaber battles that had NO dialogue? The dialogue during the lightsaber battles are contain some of the most memorable SW lines. I really hope we get to see that in EP2 and EP3.

Jedi Master Carr
Sep 2nd, 2000, 11:06:16 PM
It was a real toss up for me, I almost picked ROTJ, I've always like the end of that duel when it appears Luke is on the verge of turning toward the Dark Side. I do like Empire as well, but I just thought that TPM's duel was incredible and I have always been fan of cool swordfighting so I guess that is why I chose it. But Jedi and Empire are pretty close. On the other hand, ANH's fight is terrible compared to the others I guess it is partly because Obi-Wan is pushing 70 in that movie that makes it very slow and no where near entertaining as the others. As far as dialogue, I think the next two will have that. In TPM Darth Maul was more the quiet type and I didn't see him chatting up a conversation with Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon. But I am certain we will see that in at least three because Obi-Wan and Anakin have to fight it out and I am sure there will be some great dialogue there.

87FOXGT
Sep 3rd, 2000, 06:52:24 AM
definately TPM for me. Yes the OT had more emotionally attaching duels but near the end of TPM when obi wan is PISSED and charges at Maul the fight that ensues is FIERCE to say the least.

Aprentize
Sep 3rd, 2000, 02:18:22 PM
Agreed Fox, the duel of the fates fight just rocks! The first half of the empire fight is the WORST ever in my opinion, since Vader is only fighting withe one hand, wich is totally against all jedi tekniqes. And ANHs, well, lets just say that the actors where old, the characters even older and the state of the art stunt coordination tekniqes just s*cked. I picked TPM period

Bromine
Sep 3rd, 2000, 05:50:06 PM
Tough choice, but I definitely had to go with TPM. Sure, there wasn't any memorable dialogue, but as others have said it didn't need it, the action told the story. Actually, one of the things I like about that fight is that there is NO dialogue, but it's done so well you don't miss it; in fact you don't realise the fighters didn't speak until afterward.

87FOXGT
Sep 4th, 2000, 01:39:33 AM
i agree with your statements. actually i think the lack of dialogue between maul and the jedi only made the battle more intense, especially when obi wan and maul were staring each other down after maul struck down qui gon. i compare that to the "i am your father" because it just got me so into the moment if ya know what i mean.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 4th, 2000, 07:20:50 PM
I'm with Jedieb on this one. ESB isn't as spectacular as TPM, but it is so gripping. Just the very thought of it wins it for me. Luke, who clearly can't take Vader is giving his all, for his friends, trying to take down the bad guy amongst bad guys and then finds out it's his old man. TPM's is definetly the most flashy, and fun to watch, but ESB is no slouch either.

Darth Hez
Sep 4th, 2000, 07:59:53 PM
I do like the ESB duel, particularly when Vader gets pissed and lunges out from his hiding place at Luke. Still, I had to go with TPM. The energy and skill that was displayed in that was incredible. It was just the Jedi and Sith kicking ass, and showing why no-one in their right minds would go up against them. Particularly Maul :)

87FOXGT
Sep 5th, 2000, 12:28:09 AM
Well said Darth Hez. For a new generation of Star Wars fans, TPM showed them an awesome display of Jedi/Sith fighting techniques that made them realize they were some BAAAD mofos and you had to be smoking some seriously strong crack to wanna mess with them. Though i do understand how some of you guys prefer ESB because of the emotional link to the battle. Still for me its TPM all the way :)

EP5GRAFLEX
Sep 5th, 2000, 03:13:27 AM
My banner says it all.....

Jedieb
Sep 5th, 2000, 07:46:24 PM
This thread got me to thinking of what lies ahead. I really think we're going to see even more spectacular duels in the next 2 films. The one I'm most looking forward to is the Obi-Wan V. Anakin battle. This has the potential to blow all the other duels away! And I'm hoping and praying that we'll get to see Anakin fight as Vader just once. Can you imagine if Mace is still around and fights a desperate battle against Vader in order to buy Obi-Wan and the twins time to escape? That's how I'd love to see Mace go down.

I'm sure plenty of people here have seen the script of TPM. The final duel was suppose to be even longer in an earlier version wasn't it? Maul and Obi-Wan were suppose to hurl debris at each other and Battle Droids were suppose to enter the picture. Maul and Obi-Wan even had some verbal exchanges. I wonder if any of that was ever filmed?

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 5th, 2000, 08:38:17 PM
I'm sure the DVD will reveal all that if it was filmed.
I'm also looking forward to the Obi Wan vs Anakin fight.
I think we will see Obi Wan and Vader tangle, afterall, Obi Wan has to see Vader in the black leather get-up. Of course he has all the time between Ep.3 and ANH to see and identify him.

Darth Hez
Sep 6th, 2000, 01:10:41 PM
How do you mean see Anakin fight as Vader? In the armour? I don't think that will happen, remember James earl Jones has said his voice would be used for the last 5 min of ep3. It would be excellent if the DVD showed some verbal exchanges between Maul and Obi-wan. I think it would mostly be Maul taunting him.

BTW, Jedieb, that idea of Mace fighting Anakin, trying to buy Obi-wan time rocks. I would love to see that.

Supposedly they already have duels better than TPMs. Thats what Nick Gillard has said.

Jedi97
Sep 7th, 2000, 03:36:16 AM
That rumor of a duel in the rain sounds really great....

I don't think we're going to hear Maul talk/taunt Obi-Wan, DM is the silent type. Battle Droids entering the fight would be GREAT (I really liked those things).

"Roger, Roger"......

Jedieb
Sep 8th, 2000, 11:11:14 PM
That's exactly what I meant Hez, in the armor. I just want to see Vader again SOOO BAAAADDD! I can't tell you how dissapointed I was when I heard he'll probably only show up for the last 15 minutes or so. I WANT AN HOUR AT LEAST!!!!!!

Ben Carozza
Sep 11th, 2000, 01:20:19 PM
I have to say that they just get better and better. I think technically TPM had the best fight -- two jedi vs. a Sith lord with a double lightsaber, come on! That's amazing.

But I love the other duels as well. I think it's amazing that there's a lightsaber duel in every movie and we're not even close to being tired of them. Bring 'em on!

As an almost lightsaber duel -- Luke taking out the sail barge is pretty amazing, too. Also Ben chopping the dude's arm off in the cantina lol. Didn't he know who he was messin with? (joking of course)

Grendel 666
Sep 12th, 2000, 03:15:32 AM
I went with TPM. The entire fight is a blast to watch-- HOW many times does Obi-Wan get kicked in the head?-- and the last 45 seconds or so between Maul and Obi-Wan "goes to 11" to paraphrase Spinal Tap.

I seem to be alone on this one, but I really enjoy the duel in ANH. I know, I know, compared to the others it can be like watching a cat "play" with a lame mouse, but there are some good shots, it's a semi-realistic duel, and there are some nice character bits. That little smile on Obi-Wan's face right before he goes Cheshire Cat on Vader. "And now, for my next miracle, I will pull MYSELF into the hat..." You can almost see Vader scratching his pointy helmet after that trick.

But according to Nick Gillard, Yoda's fighting ability will make everyone else look like weak cheese... :rolleyes:

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 12th, 2000, 09:54:30 AM
I know Yoda's weapon too, and he will make everyone look stupid. So what is his weapon of choice?

A really powerful fire hose. No Sith can stand up to the awesome pressure of a fire hose! And it completely neutralises Palpy's dark side lightning, because Palpy ain't dumb enough to shoot at Yoda when he'll get doused in water! And we all know what happens when water and electricity come in contact! :)

Jedieb
Sep 12th, 2000, 08:32:37 PM
A Force hosing! JMK, you should be in Australia punching up the fight scenes.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 12th, 2000, 10:55:54 PM
Well, the final interviews for fight choreographer were between me and Nick Gillard, but they chose him because they liked his "attitude" better (whatever that's supposed to mean!), and the fact that he "did cool things with painted sticks". I was livid, I told them to look at the great things Jet Li did with a fire hose in Romeo Must Die, and then argue how it didn't have "Star Wars" written all over it. Then I stormed out of there and am now writing my own movie about ninjas that use only fire hoses.

Darth23
Sep 13th, 2000, 04:17:59 PM
TPM

At least partly because I wasn't sure going in that there could be another lightsaber duel that was anything but more of the same.

I jaw literally dropped when Obi Wan went after Maul. The part where Qui Gon and Obie Wan leaped after Maul was awesome too, but I think that I watched ti so manty times in the downloaded trailer that I was kind of over it by the time I saw the flick.

I thought the energy barrier pause in the action was great too. You could really see the differences in the characters.

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 13th, 2000, 06:35:14 PM
I thought that was the best bit of character development in the movie;
Qui-Gon's patience and quiet intensity,
Obi Wan's impatience and unbridled "enthusiasm"
Darth Maul's cold, calculating, murderous ways.

SapphireDragoness
Sep 18th, 2000, 11:43:48 PM
Well, TPM has the best fighting scenes but nothing has beaten the ESB storyline yet!

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 20th, 2000, 07:02:39 PM
I'm glad to see ESB holding it's own against TPM! :)

Darth23
Sep 28th, 2000, 04:09:33 PM
What's the deal with people not liking ROTJ's fight scene.

It kicked major butt. When Luke finally went after Vader and the music swelled.....

Then when he was hacking at Vader over and over, and finally cut off HIS hand....

:-O

Jedi Master Kyle
Sep 28th, 2000, 07:22:04 PM
ESB was the whole David vs Goliath thing. And Vader wins the fight. It was a very emotionally charged fight.

Grendel 666
Oct 14th, 2000, 01:28:31 AM
I remember seeing ROTJ in the theater the first time during its first release. The music was a huge part of the whole Luke/Vader/Anakin/Palpatine sequence. And back then, no one really knew quite what was going to happen. Yeah, "Good Must Triumph Over Evil," but we also knew it was the end of the story and heroes *might* die. And the shock of seeing Anakin finally snap out of it and destroy the Emperor brought the audience to its feet cheering. My friends and I left the theater feeling like we had just staggered out of Valhalla.

But I stand by my earlier vote. :)

Darth23
Oct 29th, 2000, 04:25:59 PM
I voted for TPM too.

I just think that ROTJ doesn't get the credit it deserve.

Hart Kenobi
Oct 30th, 2000, 07:41:36 PM
I've gotta say ESB and how Vader leaped down the stairs at Luke.

Jedi Master Kyle
Oct 30th, 2000, 08:41:22 PM
Gentlemen, we have a new leader! :)

Aprentize
Nov 12th, 2000, 10:25:15 AM
Darth23, I agree the ROTJ fight rocks. The final battle between Vader and Luke, when Luke storms out at Vader, and... you know, the fight is underway. One thing I love about that scene is the music. Its so extremly wonderfully cool! Its kind of mysterious, phantom, scary. I just gotta ask you this: If GL had hired somebody else than John Williams back in 1977, would these movies have been as reat as they are today? My only answer is just NO. God bless John Williams....

Darth Horus
Nov 26th, 2000, 03:05:27 PM
RotJ got my vote too, the fight, the emotion, the turning of the light to dark and uncertainess of Vader and Luke where they stand... it's great :)

Pugman
Dec 4th, 2000, 11:27:17 PM
Yep....ROTJ wins everytime.

The way that Vader was taunting Luke to come out of hiding.....

Then when he finally hinted that he could turn Leia to the Dark Side, Luke who had been ice-cold went crazzzy and basically beat the $hit out of Vader.

The bit where Luke's hacking at Vader's lightsabre blade repeatedly, until he cuts off his hand is EXCELLENT

Vader lying on the floor at his son's mercy and Luke's realisation that his own mechanical hand shows how he was becoming more like his father......IMO Richard Marquand did a fantastic job of directing ROTJ.

Damn shame Lucas' ego is so big now that he's going to direct Episodes 2 and 3 :(

John

Jedi Blackthorn
Dec 6th, 2000, 07:44:43 PM
Even though Ray as Darth Maul had quite a bit of wushu training, and showed it in Phantom, I voted for ESB simply for the emotional effect the duel had on the film and all us SW fans back then. I can still remember the shock of Vader's "revelation" and everybody walking out in disbelief and amazement. Not to mention that Luke was pretty much outmatched by Vader, which gave the duel in ESB that much more suspense. Vader also used more of his Force powers in ESB in his attempts to defeat Luke.

The duel in Phantom, on the other hand, was technically proficient and very well done. There's no arguing that. I just wonder how Lucas is going to top it next time around. (Maybe two or three Siths at once?)

Jedi Master Kyle
Dec 6th, 2000, 09:55:41 PM
That's something that prevented me from voting ROTJ as the best duel. Vader doesn't use any force powers.

MandaP
Dec 13th, 2000, 05:53:41 PM
I was impressed with the Darth Mauls dual at the end of EPI. But my favorite has to be the dual between Skywalker and Vader at the end of Empire is the best!

Darth Renegade
Jan 10th, 2001, 11:56:15 AM
Mmmm tough choice. Empire was good because they fought over various terrains and also had a lot more use of the Force which I always thought would be prominant in a Jedi/Sith fight. However, I have to go with TPM just because of the action, and the choreography. I like the fact that there was talking in ESB, and I kinda wish there had been talking in TPM, especially when Qui-Gon and Maul were face to face with their sabers deactivated. Oh well..just my two cents

King Jedi
Jan 11th, 2001, 12:49:25 PM
I'd have to say ESB as well especially the part on the bridge. It's not just the action but what they say. I preffered the Tatooine duel in TPM than the end battle.

sirdizzy
Jan 15th, 2001, 08:18:37 PM
wow TPM is much better done but TESB is more dramtic i still voted for TPM though

Pat Za Ponor
Feb 22nd, 2001, 11:38:44 PM
Without A DOUBT i'd say ANH. Everytime i watch Luke deflecting the bolts from the remote my heart starts pumping so fast!
:)

Darth23
Mar 18th, 2001, 02:13:15 AM
hee hee

I think Vader couldn't use the Force agains Luke in ROTJ because Luke was more in control of himself.

When Luke is slashing Vader over and over before he cuts off his hand - that the most intense part of any of the lightsaber duels, I think.

sthlord
Mar 21st, 2001, 02:04:18 AM
Luke and Vader ROTJ.

-SC :evil:

trammel
Mar 21st, 2001, 12:41:12 PM
I voted for TPM. :) The final dual between Obi-Wan and Maul always amazes me when I watch it. I only wish the duel had lasted longer.

-Tom

Starquest aka AndyR
Mar 21st, 2001, 06:26:55 PM
The one thing I didn't like about TPM was that there was too much going on all at the same time. The duel, the gungan fight and the naboo space battle. Those two detracted from the duel in my opinion - Why? I'm glad you asked.. ;) The other battles were not as gripping to me as the duel. In ROTJ, where we also have three things going on at once, I get pulled in by all three battles.

Notice in ANH how there is only one battle going on at a time, and in ESB there are two, and in ROTJ there are three. Maybe if GL had given us a little less in PM, it would've been more gripping, like keeping all the char's together instead of splitting everyone up... That way we would get to "empathize" witht hem more. but I am straying from the point....

Darth23
Apr 24th, 2001, 12:50:52 AM
There's four battles in TPM - will there be 5 in Ep 2? :D

I liked the 4 part battle sequence. Basically, Lucas showed the battle experineces of all the main characters that we followed through the movie.

obiwan shinobi
May 18th, 2001, 03:50:42 PM
as much as I liked the 3-way duel between Qui-gon, Obi-wan and Maul, the one-on-one battles have that personal element that make them entrancing. Obi's duel with Maul was simply amazing, probably the most athletic & artistic lightsaber duel to date. The ESB duel had a different nature - it was dark and you almost had the sense that Luke was trying to hold on against a true Sith Master. That kept me on the edge of my seat.

xx Kyiang Sunrider xx
May 19th, 2001, 12:54:00 PM
ESB has the best fight, of course!
TPM can be quicker and ROTJ is good 2, but in ESB the fight is much more intense and difficult for Luke.In ROTJ, Luke was trained and defeated Vader, but it wasnīt as exciting as TPM and as intence and psychological as ESB...

Fly Girl J
May 21st, 2001, 07:25:24 PM
I agree, I think the ESB duel is my favorite. While I can't stand the whole "I am your father" scene usually, the duel itself is amazing. "All too easy" - you can't beat that. :) I remember when I was little I was so excited because the bad guy was wrong! :)

xx Kyiang Sunrider xx
May 22nd, 2001, 07:44:54 PM
*L* me too, Fly girl:)
At least someone agrees with me:)
What about Lukeīs "Youīll find iīm full of surprises", huh!

spchaser
May 23rd, 2001, 10:32:14 PM
EpI TPM agreeable has to have the most artistic skill and finesse in the fighting. This is so most probably because these early days the Jedi Arts were more refined and studied. I'd have to say I enjoyed these fights the best.

When Luke came on the scene, he was just a know nothing boy with a lot of energy...The fighting is more like wild swings...like a blindfolded kid trying to hit a pinata. the final fight sequence in ROTJ is more like bludgeoning someone to death.

And Vader is just a machine...He probably lacks the finesse that he used to have when he was more human. He's just sheer power, slicing down steel beams. Plus he's an old guy in a 100 lb. suit.

Jace Darklighter
May 23rd, 2001, 10:41:51 PM
I enjoyed all the lightsaber scenes. My favorite though was when Vader tempted Luke with the Dark Side by telling him that perhaps his sister would turn. When Luke comes out of his hiding place, saber swinging, I thought that was awesome. And at the very end, when Vader tosses the Emperor to his death, that scene always sends shivers up my spine. Just goes to show redemption came come from anyone.

obiwan shinobi
May 24th, 2001, 02:50:57 AM
on the other hand, the lightsaber fight in ANH between Obi & Vader leaves something to be desired. true, when I first saw it, it was awesome. but now, in the wake of the other movies, I have to say that it just doesn't have the drama captured in ESB, ROTJ & even PM

and what the heck is up with that spinnerama that Obi pulls off during the fight? :lol: that always cracks me up

spchaser
May 24th, 2001, 06:12:16 AM
That was probably his feeble attempt to accelerate the blade like how he does in TPM when he attack the battle droids. ..Somehow it doesn't have the same effect

xx Kyiang Sunrider xx
May 25th, 2001, 01:10:08 PM
Please, Spacher!
ESBīs duel is the best til now.
If TPM hadnīt a better fighting organization, it would be the worst of all.
And the force can help the strong ones, how can you say Luke fought just like a bunch of energy.
If Vader was just some machine, how could he use the force that much!!!!The Force is present in the cells!!!

PropReplicator
May 28th, 2001, 06:39:18 PM
Luke vs. Vader in ESB, because it was like David and Goliath. Sure, in this case, "David" got his hand chopped off and nearly died, but it took major cojones to face up to Vader.

xx Kyiang Sunrider xx
May 28th, 2001, 07:29:38 PM
besides that(good point replicator),
itīs in ESBīs duel that Luke Skywalker is tempted by the bad side, like any kind of storie or even religion(Jesus, Buda, for example)

PropReplicator
May 30th, 2001, 04:43:43 PM
Plus, I think it's more touching when the good guy doesn't win. It has more meaning to us, maybe. We can identify with it a bit more.

Chet550135
Jun 26th, 2001, 09:40:19 AM