PDA

View Full Version : Qui Gon's rudeness...

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 11th, 2001, 10:08:05 PM
How would this line strike you if you were a slave:

"I didn't actually come here to free slaves".

"Excuse me???? Sorry to be such a burden! I'll just forbid Ani to race tomorrow and you can think of another way off this planet, AS*HOLE!"

I think that would have been a better response on Shmi's part.

Jedi Master Carr
Jul 12th, 2001, 12:16:06 AM
To me it wasn't rude, he was just telling her the truth. He had a mission that came first freeing slaves was not on the agenda. Also there wasn't any way for him to free Anakin, if he took him he would blow up as said in the movie, so that wasn't an option. He knew his mind tricks wouldn't work on Watto and he would take republic credits for him so at that moment he had no options. It was only later when Watto gave him an opportunity to bet him against the racing pod that he was able to free him.

aStanze
Jul 12th, 2001, 02:10:14 AM
I have a friend who tells people EXACTLY what he is honestly thinking...lot's of people think he's an A-Hole including me before I realized he was just telling the truth, not afraid of what people would think. What he has in honesty, he lacks in diplomatic skills.:lol:

-Stanze:cool:

Darth23
Jul 12th, 2001, 07:46:29 AM
What I liked about that scene was Anakin's response: "I think you have". And in truth he did free at least one slave.

Qui Gon was pretty rude towards the Jedi Council also. He seemed very single minded.

Jedi Master Kyle
Jul 12th, 2001, 08:07:29 AM
Yeah, I think Qui Gon could have been a little more tactful in his response. I mean, Shmi knows the only way to help these people who just showed up at her doorstep is to let her son race. She merely asks if Qui Gon can help and that's the answer she gets.

Jedieb
Jul 12th, 2001, 04:20:25 PM
I didn't think Qui-Gon delivered the line rudely. In fact I thought he sounded a bit apoligetic about the fact that he was on a different mission. But he was a character that spoke his mind, which is one of the things I liked about him. His response to the Council's rejection of Anakin was great. "Screw you! I'll train him myself!" Or words to that effect... ;)

RHJediKnight
Jul 12th, 2001, 05:57:36 PM
Qui-Gon shoulda said what Weird Al used in The Saga Begins: "Because Yoda sensed in him much fear, and Qui-Gon said 'Now listen here, just stick it in your pointy ear, I still will teach this boy.'" Hehehe.

obiwan shinobi
Aug 6th, 2001, 05:01:29 AM
i agree, i didn't interpret Qui Gon's statement as being rude - but it may have come off as being aloof to some people

in any event, i like his personality - i can't stand this image of the Jedi as being this polite sect of society - i'm sure they were revered and everything but that sort of disassociation also creates ego and it's nice to see that some Jedi were capable of being arrogant (after all, if i could wield a lightsaber and control the Force, i would definitely feel like i was on top of the world :) )