PDA

View Full Version : Title for EP2 released! All I can say is "huh?"

Doc Milo
Aug 6th, 2001, 05:45:47 PM
Star Wars.com has released the full title for episode ii.

Remember how silly you thought "The Phantom Menace" sounded the first time you heard it? Well, brace yourself for a double take of grand proportions.

STAR WARS: EPISODE II: ATTACK OF THE CLONES

----- Edit -----

Okay, I see this is in the boxoffice thread...

pcmon2
Aug 6th, 2001, 06:10:01 PM
its sad, isnt it? yes, it is.

Darth23
Aug 6th, 2001, 07:59:03 PM
It definitely has that cheesy pulp fiction - Saturday Morning serial quality about it.

:-)

Jedieb
Aug 6th, 2001, 10:14:33 PM
I'd already started a thread for this Doc! pcmon has decided to set a newbie posting record so it got pushed down towards the bottom. (Welcome aboard pcmon!)

I think this title will eventually grow on people. But you can expect a lot of people to critize it early on until they get use to it. The jokes are going to fly...
Attack of the Killer Clones
Send in the Clones
Attack of the 50ft Clones
Attack of the Clones From Outer Space

You kind of wonder if GL has anyone around him who has the guts to tell him they think he's nuts. I'm not saying the title is so horrible GL needs to seek help. I'm just saying if someone from this board had suggested that title I would have made fun of them in a heartbeat. I wonder if GL has anyone around him who isn't intimidated enough to be blunt or honest with him. I can just picture Ric McCalum nodding his head up and down saying; "That's brilliant George! It's simply inspired! A brilliant tribute to the fun and adventure of the Flash Gordon seriels. Truly blah, blah, blah..."

Is there anyone still around Lucas who doesn't feel intimidated enough to be honest?

Starquest aka AndyR
Aug 7th, 2001, 05:47:42 AM
Well, ya know what... I think it is perfect. I mean, I hated it at first, then it hit me how similar it is to the other starwars titles - return of the jedi, the empire strikes back, a new hope... they are all silly titles - the only reason we dont think so is because we grew up on them. If you think about the titles themselves and not what they mean to you or the movie they represent, you'll find out that they capture the movie well, and placed alone, they are dumb titles.

Star wars - is this title better than space wars, or space battle, or star battles(which are all horrible)? it might as well be "Conflict in Space"!!! but star wars is what we have come to accept and live with, so it sounds natural to us

Darth23
Aug 7th, 2001, 11:04:46 AM
Wow, I've seen a lot of people say 'I hated it first, now I kind of like it'.

Interesting. I feel the same way.

General Ceel
Aug 7th, 2001, 05:00:32 PM
It caught be off guard at first. But i'm really starting to dig it now.

Le Machin
Aug 7th, 2001, 05:35:12 PM
Attack of the Clones sounds like the title for a bad B-movie, but then so did all the other movies' titles until we experienced the greatness of it all.

General Ceel
Aug 7th, 2001, 05:41:00 PM
"Attack of the Clones sounds like the title for a bad B-movie"

I really wish that people would think up a more original way to say they hate the title.

Sith Ahnk
Aug 7th, 2001, 08:19:04 PM
I think it will grow on us, but it still sounds like a bad B-movie title.

Darth McBain
Aug 13th, 2001, 09:26:17 AM
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I liked it the first time I saw it. I will admit though it has a high cheese factor to it and a lot of people may not like it. AndyR - I think you hit it right on - all of the titles have been in the same vein, but we overlook them because we're so used to them. This one is no different than the rest. A lot of people hated "The Phantom Menace" when it was first announced, but now it is accepted - I don't think people are griping anymore about the title (Except maybe Jidai...)

By the way, was there some kind of server problem on this site recently - I couldn't get on for about a week...

Doc Milo
Aug 13th, 2001, 10:25:04 AM
My first reaction, as I posted, was "huh?" But now I'm beginning to like it more and more. It has the ring, the sound -- and it's a chapter title, it seems like a chapter title...

I haven't experienced problems logging on here, Darth McBain, so I don't think there were server problems...

Darth McBain
Aug 13th, 2001, 10:44:56 AM
We moved servers at work, so it might have been on our side, but it only seemed to affect this one site... Oh well - not important... I know a lot of people who have not taken a shine to the new title - but I really like it. When I first saw the announcement - it was like an adrenaline surge... Hopefully now that the title is out, we'll be seeing a trailer pretty soon - and before we know it we'll be in the home stretch. I can't wait until May!!!

Darth23
Aug 13th, 2001, 10:58:54 AM
It's nto a BAD B movie title.

It's a GOOD B movie title!!!

ReaperFett
Aug 14th, 2001, 06:00:48 PM
still think its an awful title.

And, I made the thread at GJO before here I think, and said it sounded B-Movie like. So, youre all ripping me off! :)

TK139
Aug 18th, 2001, 10:21:39 AM
(Attack of the Clowns.)

Thats better.

ReaperFett
Aug 18th, 2001, 11:53:24 AM
(anything)

THAT's better :)