PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite EU Book or Series?

Seth Darkserpent
Sep 20th, 2001, 11:20:25 AM
I'm a little curious as to see which books people favor most. My favorite Star Wars book is currently:

Rebirth by Greg Keyes
followed closely behind by
I, Jedi by Michael A. Stackpole

My favorite series is the:

Han Solo Trilogy by A.C. Crispin

ReaperFett
Sep 20th, 2001, 11:39:43 AM
1. X-Wing: Starfighters of Adumar by Aaron Allston
2. Han Solo Trilogy: The Hutt Gambit by A C Crispin
3. Han Solo Trilogy: The Paradise Snare by A C Crispin
4. Han Solo Trilogy: Rebel Dawn by A C Crispin
5. Darksaber by Kevin J Anderson
6. X-Wing: Solo Command by Aaron Allston
7. X-Wing: Wraith Squadron by Aaron Allston
8. X-Wing: Iron Fist by Aaron Allston
9. X-Wing: The Bacta War by Micheal A Stackpole
10. X-Wing: Rogue Squadron by Micheal A Stackpole

Force Master Hunter
Sep 20th, 2001, 04:48:27 PM
I puke on anything to do with NJO.

Thrawn books and I, Jedi anyday

Hart
Sep 20th, 2001, 08:19:36 PM
Personally a "Courtships of Princess Leia"-man myself.

Seth Darkserpent
Sep 20th, 2001, 08:31:37 PM
I have yet to read that :) Heard it was good.

ReaperFett
Sep 20th, 2001, 08:57:53 PM
I have to read it, it's important to the Wraiths :)

Mhalbrecht Dalarsco
Sep 20th, 2001, 09:06:36 PM
I like Planet of Twighlight. and X-Wing books, as well as the Thrawn Trilogy, Courtship of Princess Leia, Jedi Academy Trilogy, and Young Yedi Knights.

Hart
Sep 21st, 2001, 04:55:10 PM
Oh MAN, Seth! If you haven't read COPL, then you're missing out big time :) It's the first novel where you'll see Luke truly using his Jedi powers and I think sets the tone for what Jedi skills can do in all novels afterwards. I highly recommend it :)

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Sep 21st, 2001, 05:02:06 PM
After I finish Bacta War and Rebel Dawn, I'll swing by a bookstore and pick it up. :)

~Seth

ReaperFett
Sep 21st, 2001, 05:16:38 PM
NO! Don't! You can read Wraith, then Iron Fist, then Solo COmmand, and THEN COPL, and it follows the timeline!

Hart
Sep 21st, 2001, 05:32:19 PM
Well, I personally can't stomach a EU novel without Luke Skywalker, so I've never read those X-Wing and Solo stuff too.

ReaperFett
Sep 21st, 2001, 05:38:01 PM
you miss out on Janson, you deprived child :)

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Sep 21st, 2001, 05:50:25 PM
Corran and Wedge make up for no Skywalker.

Jedieb
Sep 21st, 2001, 07:19:21 PM
I've read most of the X-Wing books but I ran out of steam and didn't finish the last few Wraith books. I mean c'mon, I'm a diehard EU guy, but they don't line up to buy tickets to see Wedge and Jansen, it's all about the WHINY FARMBOY !

Some of my favorite EU books:
Thrawn books
Han Solo trilogies (Both the Daly and this last series)
Splinter of the Mind's Eye

Some of my least favorite
(COPL; Isolder was a freakin' Fabio character! And the witches of Dathomir were kind of weak.)
Just about every page featuring Calista. Oh, how I hate Calista!
Whatever EU book had Lando and Lobot stuck on that living starship, that sucked pretty hard. It probably had Calista in it somewhere. ;)

Champion of the Force
Sep 21st, 2001, 09:24:15 PM
Just so you all know - I've changed the title of this thread to something a little different.

The reason is because the vB guys are now transfering the threads from the old board as I type, and one of the old threads in the old EU forum had an identical title to this one, and I wanted to avoid any potential conflict that may arise.

Happy posting. :)

PS. I've only read the Thrawn Trilogy, the X-Wing series and I, Jedi. Loved them all. :)

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Sep 22nd, 2001, 08:37:21 AM
Thanks Davwj :)

~Seth

Hart
Sep 22nd, 2001, 10:12:23 PM
I think I, Jedi was wonderfully written, I just can't stand Corran Horn. The guy is such...... such a horrible character. I just want to punch him in the face.

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Sep 23rd, 2001, 07:37:17 AM
I like Corran, but I think he should be killed off soon. He's always there to save the day..it gets tiring after a while.

Hart
Sep 24th, 2001, 02:02:30 AM
the only two novels which I read with Corran was I, Jedi and one NJO novel, and in each one, they made him seem superior to Luke, whether it be personality, confidence, or intelligence-wise. And they did this at Luke's expense, making a Jedi Master seem naive and foolish. Personally, I think the creator of Corran just thought a little too much of himself and his importance in writing in SW.

Obryn Shan
Sep 28th, 2001, 02:14:30 AM
I my favorite EU books is the Thrawn Trilogy. I think author Zahn truly captured the soul of Star Wars like no one else has with the possible exception of Michael Stackpole. The Bounty Hunter trilogy by K W Jeter was aweful. The whole thing stunk... especially Boba, Bossk, and Dengar.

I read like the first five or so books of NJO then stopped. I think the Yuuzhan Vong are quite an intriguing replacement for the Sith as a dark menace. But I love the Sith much, much more than those bio-freaky aliens.

I also agree that Corran Horn's portrayal in the books is getting very, very old. He seems so condescending, he carries an air of haughtiness. He always comes riding in upon his big white horse and saves the day too often. Maybe he will bite the dust against the Vong.

Kyp Durron is far more complex and interesting character. He is full of ambiguities and imperfections. At times he is on the verge of giving into dark tendencies.

Hart
Oct 4th, 2001, 09:59:52 PM
I don't really like the Kyp angle either. Although his troubled past and up-and-down personality is interesting, I just don't like how he's stronger in the Force than Luke. Weren't the Skywalkers so powerful that it is impossible to have more potential than them? It makes no sense for someone like Kyp to show up and put Luke's powers to shame.

ReaperFett
Oct 5th, 2001, 07:02:15 AM
I dont think he is stronger. I think more that he shows his power more. In the NJO, Luke became a bit wussy. Like Kyp said, older Jedi start to worry about things like that. Kyp, on the other hand, is Luke ten years ago.

For me, Kyp is very much the Qui-Gon of the NJO. And he is great :)

Lord Exar Kun
Oct 5th, 2001, 01:57:43 PM
The Thrawn Duology and Trilogy are my two favorite book series so far.
I also like the Jedi Academy Trilogy quite a bit also.

Anyone interested, the Dark Horse graphic novels like The Sith War, The Dark Lords of the Sith and both of the Crimson Empire books were intersting and added a lot to the lore of Star Wars.

Plus the New Jedi Order is a pretty good series so far except for the continuous storyline of "someone comes to help, then leaves the New Republic in a sling" is getting old. If Ackbar and the Mon Calamari dont show up soon I am going to lose interest in this series.

I do find it pretty cool that the way it has been written is that the Yuuzhan Vong are avoiding the Imperial Remant space and the Mon Calamari space. Is there something in those quadraants the Vong are afraid of? Only time will tell.