PDA

View Full Version : Master Account hack

Force Master Hunter
Sep 20th, 2001, 03:03:31 AM
I just want to understand what we want, because I saw a similar thing - right in one of the support databases we run right here - One account, many optional id's. Now, the functionality is based on the key field of the accout section of the database

Say this key field being email address. Effectively, the email address becomes the login, with registered accounts listed against it.

The database refers to the email address, picking out what accounts are associated with it.

* Thinking*

Then you need the right form, that would display the names associated at post time.

Yeah that coudl work, depending on hos thw accunts database is set up

Champion of the Force
Sep 20th, 2001, 03:14:50 AM
Would each individual username have to be registered seperately before they can all be assigned to a 'Master' account?

I ask because I don't think you can register with the same e-mail more than once, so people are going to have to muck around switching e-mails to get them all assigned (assuming I understand you right).

Better than nothing I suppose. :)

Force Master Hunter
Sep 20th, 2001, 04:28:03 AM
Well, I registered 25 accounts with the same email address. I think it might be worthwhile looking into

Nupraptor
Sep 20th, 2001, 05:09:57 AM
Actually, the way I'm discussing doing it with somebody from the vB Help forums wouldn't invlolve registering all those accounts. Basically, this is how it could be done:

You have one actual account, with as many unique User ID's as you want (which can be selected from a drop down menu at the reply screen or a series of checkboxes in your User CP). When you want to add an ID, it checks to make sure that the same ID doesn't already exist on this board and, if not, assigns it to you. Then when you post, it attributes the post to the User ID instead of your account name.

It would be quite an extensive hack, but I think it would be much appreciated by the RPG people.