PDA

View Full Version : Voice Acting Volunteers

Captain Untouchable
Apr 3rd, 2013, 08:44:42 PM
I've been wanting to do a Lets Play series for Minecraft for years, but there are already hundreds of those, and I've been struggling to work out what I could possibly do to make my particular take on it interesting / entertaining.

After watching Peter play System Shock, I had the idea of using the Feed The Beast modpack (which adds electricity, machines, computers, etc) to build a crashed spaceship of which I am a survivor. Rather than starting with nothing and winging it, each episode would come with clear goals...
Find copper and rubber to replace broken cables and get auxiliary power back on line.
Get the resources to repair/replace the solar panels that were damaged in the crash.
Fix the redstone / Redpower circuitry so that you can open the cargo bay doors. Repair problems X, Y, and Z so that the "external defenses" (turrets from Portal - they're awesome) work.
Use Computercraft to get mining turtles to go find stuff. Use golems from Thaumcraft to be my little farmer minions.
Find uranium and get the main reactor online.
Repair / power / activate the teleporters, the forcefields, other cool stuff.
... and so on.

I'm not going to go full-on in character about it because that would probably come off stupid or goofy, but I think it would be fun to have little cut scene style moments that play out from time to time. Maybe the opening of the series is a little scene of the ship being attacked before the crash. Maybe the computer or the little robot / golem minions talk to me from time to time. Maybe I run into a tribe of natives, or maybe I'm not the only survivor and there are a few other people dotted about.

It's still very much an idea in the concept stages at the moment, but yeah: since y'all have such a mixed bag of accents, I was wondering if any of you might be up for lending your vocals to people in this.

Vince
Apr 3rd, 2013, 09:00:49 PM
Sir, I have no idea how well my microphone can work with this, but you have my voice!

*Aragorn/Viggo Mortensen impression*

Droo
Apr 3rd, 2013, 09:02:35 PM
It's a great idea, and I wish you the best of luck, but as for me, personally, I couldn't voice act my way out of a paper bag! :uhoh

Mr E Nygma
Apr 3rd, 2013, 09:25:29 PM
I'd be willing to give it a go, although my voice is... distinctive.

Captain Untouchable
Apr 3rd, 2013, 10:08:51 PM

I don't know if you've seen the NPCs (http://i43.tinypic.com/1jkysi.jpg) from Minecraft, but since Alabama I haven't been able to imagine them with any voice other than your "religious ghouls" impression. :mischief

It's a great idea, and I wish you the best of luck, but as for me, personally, I couldn't voice act my way out of a paper bag! :uhoh

If it makes a difference, I'm not just looking for "speaking parts". The laser guns in the Feed The Beast pack don't have sound effects, so I'm toying with the idea of getting someone to record pew-pew noises for me. It'd also quite like the doors on the ship to talk to me when they open a-la Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, or perhaps the computers might say "Alright, fella!" when I open the UI; that sort of thing.

I'm going to try and go for a low budget / cheesy 70s scifi vibe with it (complete with intentional continuity errors, stock footage, and so on), so if your voice acting is bad in a William Shatner sort of way, that might not necessarily be a bad thing. ;)

Sir, I have no idea how well my microphone can work with this, but you have my voice!

*Aragorn/Viggo Mortensen impression*

Honestly, I'm not entirely sure how well my microphone is going to work for this either. I do have a pretty decent audio editing suite though... and if it turns out that the mic quality is a little bit of a problem we can always throw some effects on there as a computer / robot / alien voice type thing.

Something else I should probably have asked as well: do any of you have Minecraft accounts, and would you be interested in being camera men, body doubles, stunt doubles, and/or other characters if I end up needing them? I haven't scripted anything yet, but there may be the odd occasion when I need someone to walk out of the ship or run through an exploding minefield looking like me while I fly over in helicopter camera mode, or something. One of those "they blew the entire production budget on this camera sequence" type deals that happens once in a blue moon, and/or gets endlessly recycled in almost every single episode because they can't afford to pay to film a different one.

Peter McCoy
Apr 4th, 2013, 02:54:57 PM
Minecraft and Youtube are two of my favourite things so of course I'm in.

Dasquian Belargic
Apr 4th, 2013, 04:00:27 PM
I can provide.. creepy robot / computer voices a la the Portal turret, if you like :D

Crusader
Apr 4th, 2013, 05:03:32 PM
I can always try to do my Californian guy that tries to talk like a Nazi accent.

Mr E Nygma
Apr 4th, 2013, 07:38:10 PM

I don't know if you've seen the NPCs (http://i43.tinypic.com/1jkysi.jpg) from Minecraft, but since Alabama I haven't been able to imagine them with any voice other than your "religious ghouls" impression. :mischief

CHUPACABRA SQUEEZINS!

Captain Untouchable
Apr 5th, 2013, 11:28:44 AM
I can provide.. creepy robot / computer voices a la the Portal turret, if you like :D

The Feed The Beast modpack actually adds in Portal Guns and Portal Turrets, so I will definitely hit you up for some GLADOS/turret type talky stuff. I'm gonna have a look through the modpack just in case there's a grappling gun as well. ;)

I can always try to do my Californian guy that tries to talk like a Nazi accent.

I'm now thinking that I need to have a Khan-style evil space Nazi who is somehow responsible for crashing the ship. :ohno