PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite 'Fans style sets

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 25th, 2013, 02:55:09 PM
As part of our board-wide software upgrade, we will be getting a shiny new looking board... but we are looking (in addition to perhaps designing some new styles sets) to 'import' some of the most popular sets/colour schemes.

So, which style sets are your favorites?

I voted for the ones that I use most often: Basic Light / Dark, Blues and the Kuklos Ataxia style set.

Captain Untouchable
Mar 25th, 2013, 03:25:21 PM
Coruscant Night is usually my go-to theme, but I used to use the Cloud City one quite a lot as well (that'd be the "Other" I voted for).

Droo
Mar 25th, 2013, 03:33:23 PM
Blues, for me, is SW-Fans. It's the closest design to the original board and consequently all of my roleplaying accounts use it. For this account, I use Enclave, simply for the nice black/grey colour scheme that's easy on the eyes.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 25th, 2013, 03:57:49 PM
Blues, for me, is SW-Fans. It's the closest design to the original board and consequently all of my roleplaying accounts use it.Yep, almost everything about Blues (except the banner which was lost) goes all the way back to ezboard in 98-99, and maybe even before. That makes it the most 'Throwback" out of all styles we still have.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 25th, 2013, 04:18:47 PM
I like Cloud City and the Obi-Wan supporter style, but really I think all the styles should be updated or at least updated options available.

Zenas Codrey
Mar 25th, 2013, 05:53:17 PM
The only one I ever use is the default style. What is it, Nual? This is mostly from laziness, though. I switch to the Rebel style for character registration though.

Cirrsseeto Quez
Mar 25th, 2013, 06:24:33 PM
Big fan of rebel. It's a lovely look

Rutabaga
Mar 25th, 2013, 07:08:01 PM
I've used Coruscant Night for years now :)

Dragon
Mar 25th, 2013, 08:33:19 PM
I tend to be thematic with my style selections for characters - Solomon is Jedi Enclave, Akasha is Kuklos Ataxia, Tannis is Imperial, Aris is Rebel. Until recently Kale was Coruscant Night. I use Black Sun for my Brotherhood accounts and Imperial for my Vanguard accounts because they fit the color scheme.

However, most of my mutant accounts, and Kale, have gone to Basic Dark because it's easy on the eyes, all the boxes are sleek and minimalistic, and avatars tend to pop the best against a black background. Overall it's my favorite, though Enclave is close - nice and relaxing, which fits Solomon perfectly. I'm not currently using it, but I actually like Cloud City better than Blues as a "blue" theme (I think the Blues starfield background is a bit garish, and that it would benefit from a starfield that's subtler and has a larger tile).

Still, there's "Less is more," and there's "Less is a bore." I appreciate having the variety available to help me differentiate among my characters.

Banner Laverick
Mar 25th, 2013, 09:27:54 PM
Blues (or something similar? I forget, lol) for SW, Coruscant Night for anything else. Nothing with red, because it looks weird on my computer for some reason and always dark colors.

Loklorien s'Ilancy
Mar 25th, 2013, 11:02:43 PM
I mostly stick with Basic Dark, Nual, and Enclave since they're the easiest on my eyes. I also enjoy Blues for when I'm wanting to get super nostalgic.

Atreyu
Mar 26th, 2013, 05:15:59 AM
Blues, for me, is SW-Fans. It's the closest design to the original board and consequently all of my roleplaying accounts use it.Yep, almost everything about Blues (except the banner which was lost) goes all the way back to ezboard in 98-99, and maybe even before. That makes it the most 'Throwback" out of all styles we still have.
It was 1999 - specifically around November of that year IIRC. Prior to that, we had been using the 'Space' theme from one of ezboard's default themes which was ok but every 2nd board on ezboard was using it so I wanted to change it. As a result, I shamelessly stole the colour scheme from Itala's TSC, with the original star background (just basic stars on a black background - it didn't have the blue tinge) coming from the Greater Jedi Order's board. Chuck in the categories which I copied from CC.Net (beforehand we just had all the forums in one big list down the page), and we had a new theme which everyone is now so nostalgic over. :3:

Ironically, if you wanted something 'closest to the original design' the old 'Text - Dark' theme was probably even closer to what SW-Fans (then SW vs. Titanic) was like before we went all blue-y. Sadly we lost that theme in an upgrade years ago.

I'm glad that all these years later people still like the blue though - I had a lot of fun tinkering with the theme that week way back in 99 and thought it was pretty whizz-bang at the time (and so did everyone else). :)

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 26th, 2013, 08:58:52 AM
The KA theme will be tweaked for sure because we renamed ourselves. Hopefully me obsessively keeping PSD files works in my favor here.

I'm still upset about losing those specific splatter brushes though. They're probably on my old desktop but getting it out of the attic and firing it up to find them... :x

Actually, it would probably be worth it. /random derail sorry

Ilias Nytrau
Mar 26th, 2013, 06:52:30 PM
I gave it all a good look, and I'm going to give my thoughts/likes/dislikes.

Basic Light and Dark - I like these. They're simple, clean. I use them sometimes.

Black Sun - NIX IT. NO BS anymore, amirite? :mischief

Blues - Yep, gotta like this, and not just because it's classic. It's good-lookin' and uncomplicated.

Cloud City - In my opinion, looks too much like Blues, overall... and I like Blues better, anyway. And not too big of a fan of skinny forums.

Coruscant Night - IT HAS PURPLE. <3 ... but I'm not terribly keen on the banner?

Enclave - Drab. I think it needs a loving update!

Galactic Empire - Not bad. Colour scheme definitely says Empire and I can't say yay or nay to this one. It is what it is.

KA - As Holly said, name change, therefore update. I agree.

Myth - Nix it. I'm pretty sure this RP flopped, right?

Nual - Not a pretty bird (it's brown like the UPS man), but I like it. I use this one, often.

Rebel Alliance - Major like. I'd keep the same colour scheme, even if we changed the titling to reflect the actual faction as it changes, because IT WILL CHANGE.

Streghe - Nix it. This group has long since been archived.

Comic-Fans - Do not like. It's dreadful bright to look at. Actually, a little garish.

WoD - Dull. Don't like the avatar placement, but seeing as we do have an active WoD rp, I think this one should be updated, yes?

Deathstar - This I like. No really, I just really, really like it for some reason. I must use it. Forget anything I said about skinny forums, just for this one.

...And that is all. Oh, but - I am genuinely surprised, now that I think about it, over the absence of a mutants styleset. It deserves one or two, I think. ;)

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 26th, 2013, 07:58:51 PM
I generally like all the group styles and think they fit their groups well, that's sort of a group thing though? I use the Imp one for my Imp characters and the Rebel one for my rebels, Jedi is the same - it makes it simple to figure out who I'm logged in as.

Darth Turbogeek
Mar 27th, 2013, 05:10:41 AM
I'm on Nual, havent changed in years

Zereth Lancer
Mar 27th, 2013, 11:29:15 AM
The OTHER styles that I like are Streghe and KA.

My super favorites would be Dark, Streghe, and Coruscant Nights.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 27th, 2013, 03:24:03 PM
I haven't seen VB 5's styleset system yet but if it's similar to 4 this should be much easier than pushing it through VB 3.

Darth Turbogeek
Mar 31st, 2013, 03:07:39 AM
I haven't seen VB 5's styleset system yet but if it's similar to 4 this should be much easier than pushing it through VB 3.

It's very easy