PDA

View Full Version : Shame avatar with no communication?

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 21st, 2013, 10:49:02 AM
I guess I'm just confused because *i* didn't break the rules, persay, if no rule formally exists for CT size and if an Admin gave it to me.

And I'd appreciate at least a PM or something in addition to this punishment? I don't have a problem with the gif being stripped out and I certainly didn't intend to break a rule.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 21st, 2013, 11:18:53 AM
Custom titles (text and images) were never approved by the staff as a whole, they just started appearing. The staff is currently debating the situation.

And yes, I am aware that it takes an administrator to set a custom title. I believe the practice of dolling them out may have been started by yourself?

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 21st, 2013, 11:40:18 AM
Yeah, I probably started it. That would have been over three years ago.

Thanks for taking out the text, I appreciate it.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 21st, 2013, 11:48:50 AM
Atreu warned us of the potential issues having even our post count custom titles could cause something like 11 or 12 years ago, I agreed with him then and agree now, as it relates to the non standard custom titles. I do not think Admin set custom titles are a good idea. It is not covered in the FAQ, cannot be as easily regulated by the forum software (which limits avatar file sizes for us), and it can potentially alienate existing and new forum members who aren't tight with the administrator(s) that set them(favoritism).

The staff is debating this now.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 21st, 2013, 11:50:59 AM
I'm glad the staff is discussing it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 21st, 2013, 12:36:59 PM
I do not remember the circumstances behind when CTs were originally being set, but I think it was probably four or so years ago? I don't recall if it was discussed through a thread, or via IM discussions with other staff members, or even if it was discussed at all. I have a hard time remembering what was for dinner last week.

I do know that we lost the ability for group mods to set CTs the last time we upgraded the forums and that members as a whole missed that function. Dressing me down 3-4 years later for something that could have been taken care of when I was still on the staff is hurtful.

My reason for starting this thread was for clarification on what had happened to my account. The ct and avatar change seemed to be in poor taste and done specifically to shame me for something as you say has never been officially defined. If you are going to remove the gif and CT from my account then they should be removed from all the accounts, pending the staff's decision. http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/member.php?u=4199 for instance, has a gif similar in file size to what mine was.

I feel that being given the new ct and avatar as punishment without communication or being talked to privately was uncalled for.

TheHolo.Net
Mar 21st, 2013, 12:47:34 PM
As a former staff member you should be well aware of the size limits we have associated with avatars and signatures. The custom title you were using was, for all intents and purposes, an Avatar. Other forum members called you out on it as such.

Your complaint that the disciplinary action taken against you was not done so via the proper protocol is justified. The FAQ covers this as well. A warning via PM is the proper protocol. This was a mistake that will not happen again.

As for the state of the hundreds of accounts with administrator set custom titles, that is being debated.

Tristin's situation is something we are aware of and will be correcting, as well as any others that subvert the FAQ via loophole.

The FAQ and file size limits are also being debated by the staff.

If you have further concerns or questions please contact me via PM. Disciplinary actions taken by the staff are not up for debate. (also in the FAQ)

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 21st, 2013, 01:10:36 PM
It was not my intention to debate or question what happened, just the way it was handled.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 21st, 2013, 08:29:18 PM
I changed your title and avatar, and the way I approached the situation was both unprofessional and wrong. I did not communicate appropriately or effectively in this situation, and while I felt you were subverting the spirit of the rules it in no way justifies my actions.

Both my actions and approach were wrong and I apologize.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 21st, 2013, 10:18:32 PM
Thank you for the apology, Morg.