PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Rescue Party and/or Jedi Master

Enchanting Wizard
Mar 11th, 2013, 10:58:06 AM
I'm new and super excited about this idea I have for my character, Valrya Ishtarin. I am still planning and as such have not posted yet but here goes. She's a force sensitive smuggler who uses the force to manipulate the minds of the people she's trying to escape. She has no formal training in using the Force, but has taught herself to use her talent to give her an extra edge in her illegal enterprises. Valrya also has limited telekinetic abilities, but is extremely wary of using them in case someone discovers her and reports her to the Inquisition.

Backstory:

Valrya Ishtarin was born on Hutta to a couple of factory workers. Shortly after her birth, her father was killed and her mother was crippled in an explosion. She was raised by her crippled, house-bound mother and her brother who is about 6 years older than she is. Impoverished from birth, but cunning and force-sensitive, she learned early to get what she wanted through theft, lies, and trickery. Her mother and brother disapproved and tried to teach her to be honest, but it was hard for her to see the advantage of being honest and hardworking in a society where the most prosperous people she knew of were criminals. Through petty theft, informing, fraud, and manipulation, she finally scrapes together enough money for her own ship and becomes a prosperous smuggler. As a result of her criminal activities becomes estranged from her little family, though she always finds a way to make sure they have a few more credits than they ought to.

What I want to do with my first thread:

Somehow get Valrya in a situation so bad she has to kill off her old identity and join the Jedi Order as a Padawan, breaking all contact with her family and her criminal cohorts. How this happens depends on you guys; who is interested in writing with me, what their character is doing at the moment, and how many people want to be involved. I see a couple of possible scenarios:

1. A rival smuggler catches her using the Force to trick her way out of a hairy situation and decides to tip off the Inquisition.

2. An Inquisitor senses her use of the Force and comes after her

3. Valrya takes part in a deal that goes south and her partners abandon her to the wrath of whoever they were trying to rip off

and/or

1. A Jedi senses her use of the Force and helps her out

2. A Jedi gets involved with trying to stop the conflict created when the bad guys (whoever they may be) come after her, then finds out she's a Force user and offers her the opportunity to become a Jedi.

Whew.

Oh yeah, Abilities

1. Blaster wielding
2. Hand - to - hand combat
3. Jedi mind trick?
4. limited telekinesis

Kale
Mar 11th, 2013, 02:00:11 PM
A fellow Force-sensitive criminal? Girl, you and I need to talk. ;)

I haven't done anything with Kale for a while, and I need to figure out what he's been up to lately if I bring him back into the action. Last time we saw him, he was stealing a Horizon-class star yacht from a Black Sun vigo on Cloud City with the help of a lovely Cizerack-Falleen halfbreed. It's possible he could happen by to give Valrya a lift in her moment of need. Or if she already has her own ship, maybe Kale's lost his and needs her help.

He's not exactly a Jedi master, but he's had contact with them before, and he's undecided whether he wants to throw his lot in with their cause. He'd be willing to help Valrya find them if she wanted to, though. He's had some training, so he may have the edge on Valrya for Force abilities, but probably not by much. His skills are focused on stealth, mind-trickery, and telekinesis - while he's not powerful, he excels at manipulating small objects and mechanisms.

Rai'raa Anjumi
Mar 11th, 2013, 02:13:16 PM
Oh yes, let's pick her up! Can we, can we? :eee

Kale
Mar 11th, 2013, 02:23:38 PM
Just tell me you're going to behave this time. Remember what happened to the last stray we picked up?

:colbert

Rai'raa Anjumi
Mar 11th, 2013, 02:56:36 PM
I'll be on my best behavior, scout's honor.

:whip

Enchanting Wizard
Mar 11th, 2013, 03:50:09 PM
All right! How exciting!
Hahaha--I'll take my chances with getting seduced and robbed. In fact, if Kale and Rai'raa double-cross Valrya, that would play into my plan to lose everything quite well! She loves being a smuggler, and the only way she's going to decide to be a Jedi is as a last resort. Would you like to plan a heist that goes terribly wrong? Or would you like to plan a betrayal that goes terribly right?

Rai'raa Anjumi
Mar 11th, 2013, 04:09:10 PM
A heist that goes terribly wrong sounds right up our alley. :lol

We were intending to eventually go visit the Jedi at some point, so everything working toward you getting us to take you to them will be good.

Kale
Mar 11th, 2013, 04:21:45 PM
I concur! We could do the old "two theives going after one prize" trick where we accidentally foul each other up. Or we could already be on the run, Kale and Rai'raa from Black Sun, Valrya from some Hutt gangsters, when we run into each other (culminating in Black Sun and the Hutt's forces shooting at each other across an alley with us scurrying in between!)

Any idea where this will be taking place? Nal Hutta? Nar Shadda?

Enchanting Wizard
Mar 11th, 2013, 04:42:29 PM
I'm not very familiar with the astrography of the Star Wars Universe, so I don't have a preference as to the location of the botched heist (Wookieepedia be my guide!) I looked it up and Nar Shaddaa seems an appropriately seedy location in which to lose a ship, a contract, and an identity. What's there that we might want?

Taataani Meorrrei
Mar 11th, 2013, 04:45:47 PM
If you would like Sanis as an adversary in this, I could do that

Enchanting Wizard
Mar 11th, 2013, 05:51:05 PM
That sounds lovely. Is Sanis affiliated with Black Sun?

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 11th, 2013, 05:59:54 PM
Yes, he's a Black Sun lackey. :)

Kale
Mar 11th, 2013, 06:06:44 PM
Hahaha, this is going to be epic!

Vince
Mar 11th, 2013, 06:11:27 PM
For not having really RPed before that backstory and thread goals is top class. No joke, that is awesome.

Enchanting Wizard
Mar 11th, 2013, 06:26:53 PM
I am really excited :-). How is this for an idea? Valrya's Huttese employer let some carbonite-encased bota go to the Black Sun for cheap, perhaps as a result of extortion or blackmail. Furious at being ripped off, he hires Valrya to try to steal it back for him. Meanwhile Kale and Rai'raa can go after it as well, and when everyone bumps into one another, massive conflict ensues! Will that work as an outline?

Kale
Mar 11th, 2013, 06:38:32 PM
That's beautiful. Heck, Sanis could even be dangling it as bait to trap Kale and Rai'raa, unaware that Valrya's going after it, too.

Enchanting Wizard
Mar 11th, 2013, 06:50:09 PM
I'm glad you like it :-). I guess I'll get to work on the first post where Whoever the Hutt gives Valrya her mission, and we'll go from there. I think I'll call it "The Finest Leaf in Nar Shaddaa" lol
PS Thanks Vince!

Vince
Mar 11th, 2013, 07:40:38 PM
If you want to do a thread outrunning the Inquisition (or depending on the time, the IMPERIAL KNIGHTS YEAH FINALLY) I will gladly offer Palara Iscandar or the more mysterious and less seen Veskasa Vel Aath for Valrya to bounce off. Or Val, if she ever meets Ben, who seems to append nick-names to everyone he meets.

As to a Jedi Master, I don't know about training, but I've still got Tell Cho, whom I've wanted to do Jedi stuff with since forever.

Enchanting Wizard
Mar 11th, 2013, 08:42:29 PM
Vince: let's write Jedi stuff with Tell Cho and Varlya! I'm dying to write about Valrya reluctant career change from smuggler to a Jedi.

Sanis Prent
Mar 11th, 2013, 09:00:01 PM
Yes, he's a Black Sun lackey. :)

Now, now, I prefer to think of myself as an upwardly-mobile nefarious professional.

Morgan Evanar
Mar 11th, 2013, 09:14:38 PM
Adjerban was recently posted on Sanis guard duty so we could make shit even skeezier, if that was even possible.

Enchanting Wizard
Mar 11th, 2013, 10:09:25 PM
Interlope away, Adjerban :D
First post: Posted!!
http://sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?p=399168#post399168
Post at will!

Sanis Prent
Mar 11th, 2013, 11:53:22 PM
I posted. You just had to pick Nar Shaddaa didn't you.

Enchanting Wizard
Mar 12th, 2013, 10:32:24 AM
Yes, I suppose we did. :eee Great post! I can't wait to see what Kale and Rai'raa do!

Irridia Solensis
Mar 12th, 2013, 10:36:29 AM
Absolutely loving your enthusiasm & ideas! Good read so far - can't wait to see where y'all go :dance

Also can't wait to write with you :)

Miranda Tarkin
Mar 12th, 2013, 02:12:22 PM
oooo very nice

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 12th, 2013, 05:28:11 PM
Absolutely loving your enthusiasm & ideas! Good read so far - can't wait to see where y'all go :dance

Also can't wait to write with you :)

^ What this crazy lady said.

Enchanting Wizard
Mar 12th, 2013, 09:05:56 PM
Thanks, y'all! I'm excited to write with you as well :dance

Rai'raa Anjumi
Mar 12th, 2013, 11:26:35 PM
Ok we're done with out little back and forth, and Rai'raa is going to change her clothes AGAIN before showing up to the meeting with Sanis which... I don't know where it'll be yet, that's up to him.

New outfit will go better with Kale's shiny suit. Maybe some shiny black leggings and heeled boots, same tank top and jacket. :p Clothes are important, ok?

Kale
Mar 13th, 2013, 05:25:02 AM
Maybe if they were a little less important, we wouldn't be strapped for cash now.

Enchanting Wizard
Mar 13th, 2013, 09:46:00 PM
Clothes ARE mega important. Hence costume change in the first post! Impressions are EVERYTHING! CAN YOU TELL I'VE HAD A BIT TOO MUCH CAFFEINE?

So now Valrya's headed to the strip club where Sanis and Adjerban are...or were. I'm waiting to see what Sanis has in mind as to where and how he wants to spring the trap trap he's setting for Rai'raa and Kale before doing anything too conclusive.

This is just too much fun.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 14th, 2013, 01:05:50 AM
Sounds good to me!

Kale
Mar 16th, 2013, 12:05:52 PM
Pssst, Sanis and/or Adjerban, I think you're up!

Rai'raa Anjumi
Mar 16th, 2013, 12:12:14 PM
Yes, it's not polite to keep a lady waiting, especially when it's her first RP. :shakefist

Cirrsseeto Quez
Mar 17th, 2013, 01:23:08 AM
I thought adj was up, but if not I'll mosey it along tomorrow :)

Morgan Evanar
Mar 17th, 2013, 11:27:57 AM
Sorry guys. You can always drop me a PM on this account if I'm not posting.

Enchanting Wizard
Mar 17th, 2013, 08:49:46 PM
No worries! I look forward to replying tomorrow :cheers

Enchanting Wizard
Mar 18th, 2013, 09:18:49 AM
So how do y'all want things to go from here? This is what I see:

Valrya pays a visit to her friend Dagny, who incidentally runs the club where the rest of them are making the deal. She learns that the guys she's looking for are in the VIP lounge, and then...

1. She leaves, tracks down their ship and the carbonite boxes of Bota, tries to steal it back, gets caught, and then forms an alliance with Kale and Rai'raa as they all try to get away from Sanis and Adjerban.

OR

2. She walks into the VIP lounge backed up by thugs on loan from her friend who runs the club and demands the shipment back, there's an all-out fight, and they lay waste to the place. Kale and Rai'raa realize that the deal was a trap, and they band together with Valrya to try to get out of there before the rest of the Black Sun come down on them all.

OR

3. Someone had another idea of how they thought things would go, and wants to suggest it now.

I'm not particularly attached to one scenario or the other. I like the first one because it makes more sense for Valrya to try to minimize personal risk by being sneaky, it's less complicated, and Valrya would not want to completely destroy her friendship with the club owner. I like the second one because it's more dramatic and more likely to cause the most damage to her reputation, driving her to seek shelter with the Jedi Order.

What do you all think? What would you most like to happen?

Rai'raa Anjumi
Mar 18th, 2013, 09:44:09 AM
I think we can make any of those work - I didn't personally have another idea about how things were going down but I'll let the guys weigh in.

#1 could work as she's being sneaky and getting caught at the spaceport (bonus sneak on Sanis' part if the bota boxes are all empty) while Kale and Rai'raa are trying to be sneaky and failing and getting caught by Sanis. Everyone meets up at the spaceport (you're being held there, we're being brought there) and then Kale uses "the Force" and Rai'raa uses... her secret weapon, and we manage to get away. Plus we're at the port so Kale and Rai'raa's ship could be close by-ish to explain why we stick together rather than going our separate ways?

Just spitballing here. ^_^;

Kale
Mar 18th, 2013, 12:00:44 PM
Getting you into the mix sooner rather than later is probably a good thing. How about a modified #2... Valrya walks in with a half dozen goons and sits down at the table to deliver her ultimatum, fully believing she's got the drop on Sanis. Until Sanis gives a signal, and the twenty or so Black Sun thugs in the VIP lounge all pull their weapons.

Leaving Kale and Rai'raa in concentric circles of "we're boned."

Cirrsseeto Quez
Mar 18th, 2013, 12:35:45 PM
I either like #1 or Kale's variant of #2. I'm pretty flexible to either /Sanis

Enchanting Wizard
Mar 18th, 2013, 04:05:44 PM
Awesome! I like the idea of running into one another at the spaceport, Rai, because it makes getting out more convenient, but I hate delaying the meeting. I am writing Kale's version of option 2, because even though it will be more challenging to get out of, "concentric circles of 'we're boned'" just sounds too good to pass up. Unfortunately I have to go to work, so my post in the form of half-finished word document will just have to sit there until late tonight (or maybe tomorrow). As usual, can't wait to see what happens!

Sanis Prent
Mar 18th, 2013, 10:53:57 PM
posted :) now to see how it goes down

Kale
Mar 22nd, 2013, 01:23:26 PM
Since Kale is breaking out some Force Suggestion on all y'all, I want to explain my theory behind it. I think of it less as mind control and more as a post-hypnotic suggestion - in other words, you can't really fool somebody into doing something they'd never want to do. A suggestion is more likely to be successful if it's something the target would want to follow anyway.

So, maybe the stormtrooper at the beginning of ANH was weak-minded. Or maybe he was at the end of a long shift, and he really didn't want to find the droids he was looking for, because it would be all sorts of trouble.

It's a bit more nuanced that way, and we don't have to worry about some arbitrary "weak-minded" label. :)

Enchanting Wizard
Mar 23rd, 2013, 12:00:16 PM
Kale: Makes sense, and that's how I'd like to think of it too. All the other posts are gorgeous. I don't quite know what to do yet.

I'm having trouble disassociating from the predicament I put my character in.

Rai'raa Anjumi
Mar 23rd, 2013, 12:51:18 PM
The deeper the hole gets dug, the more fun it is to try to get out of! :D

Rev Solomon
Mar 23rd, 2013, 01:47:46 PM
(is Kale) She can go ahead and press her position, since as far as she knows, she's got the upper hand. Does she have the credits to refund Sanis, or is she planning on just taking the bota outright? Is she planning on making any kind of offer on it? That'll give us something to build on moving forward. :)

Enchanting Wizard
Mar 25th, 2013, 09:46:37 PM
And the hole gets even deeper... :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 26th, 2013, 12:49:32 AM
I like it, keep kicking them, they deserve it :D

Edit: are we waiting on Kale?

Kale
Mar 30th, 2013, 01:13:54 AM
I think you are. Sorry guys, this has been a pretty rotten week for me. With any luck, I'll get a post up tomorrow.

Enchanting Wizard
Apr 1st, 2013, 10:24:53 AM
Holy shit you guys. This is amazing.

Enchanting Wizard
Apr 5th, 2013, 08:15:52 AM
I have a couple of ideas for how the next bit happens. Please check your messages and let me know what you think! :dance

Enchanting Wizard
Apr 8th, 2013, 08:51:32 PM
Finally posted. Sorry it took so long--I had a busy weekend.

Kale
Mar 22nd, 2014, 08:40:17 PM
Let's get this show back on the road!

Now that we've split the party, we need to find a way to get Valrya involved again. As I recall, the bota shipment is somewhere by the docks, so if Kale and Rai'raa can contrive to get Sanis and company to take them down there, they could be primed to have another run-in with her. But we also need a way for Kale, Rai'raa, and Valrya to end up escaping together. Any thoughts?

James Prent
Mar 22nd, 2014, 08:54:02 PM
I can have Rai'raa convince the boys to take her I mean us to the ship. ;)

Valrya
Mar 22nd, 2014, 09:09:29 PM
Now I believe Sanis has a Gran gunman following Valrya down a dark alley, and Kale and Rai'raa are about to make a deal with Sanis and Adjerban. Or at least, what looks like a deal (actually a trap?).

These are my thoughts. I imagined that somehow Valrya would get the location of Sanis's ship from the gunman, and catch up with the rest of them just as Sanis and Adjerban make it clear that they have no intentions of making a deal. Everybody fights, Valrya accidentally shows that she's a force-user, Kale, Rai'raa and Valrya get away. If Valrya gets significantly injured, she'll be more likely to comply with whatever Kale and Rai'raa thinks is best. I hope that means they'll dump her off at Ossus with the Jedi.

Does that make sense with the rest of the story? Does it sound like something you guys want to do?

Valrya
Mar 22nd, 2014, 09:19:07 PM
That works!

Charley
Mar 23rd, 2014, 10:33:45 AM
That sounds good to me.

Kale
Apr 7th, 2014, 11:07:04 AM
Oh yeah. We're ready for shit to get real now. :smokin

Just to update everyone, I figure in the time it took Sanis and Kale to work out a deal, Valrya has already moved herself into position to spring whatever plan she's concocted. When she does, Kale will chew down on the bota leaf he's got in his mouth, which will temporarily boost his Force abilities enough to throw the Black Sun goons into chaos and get them all out safely. They may or may not snag a case of bota on the way, which may or may not turn out to be a can of crumpled-up tin foil. In the fracas, Valrya can accidentally out herself as a fellow Force adept. Then Kale, Rai'raa, and Valrya can hightail it to the stolen yacht and put Nar Shaddaa far behind them.

Sound good?

Lilaena De'Ville
Apr 7th, 2014, 11:08:01 AM
Sounds good to me:)

Valrya
Apr 13th, 2014, 06:13:29 PM
That sounds great. *sigh of relief* I'm glad you posted this because I didn't quite have an idea for what to do next :)

So would these dark and shady warehouses be within shouting distance of the landing pad? Sniper distance?

I'm still working out a plan. Today I have one more paragraph than I had yesterday. Sorry it's taking so long.

Kale
Apr 21st, 2014, 11:57:33 AM
Don't worry, I've been busy lately, so my own posting rate has slacked off considerably. Your post was awesome, I love Valrya's suspicions that Jobra's trying to get her killed. And the EMP grenade was a brilliant idea. :)

Lilaena De'Ville
May 29th, 2014, 07:33:46 PM
So, who's up next? Kale, I think?