PDA

View Full Version : RP Scenario "leads"

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 4th, 2013, 12:34:13 PM
I am thinking that we might want to appoint a few people as 'leads' for this forum who can accept PMs from newcomers and give them help in getting started. Like Jace for DC, myself or Andrew for Mutants, Charley for Fallout, someone for WoD, etc. This would be a voluntary position!

(This could also be used in the SW side of things, with one pointman/woman per faction but that's another thread)

I volunteer for Mutants and/or WoD, and I'd be happy to write up a thread with information in it to sticky at the top of the page.

We could have one thread with several posts (each post with more in depth information on each scenario and contact information)...?

Captain Untouchable
Mar 4th, 2013, 03:05:39 PM
I like the concept of having a go-to person for each setting, in theory. However, I can see there being a few reservations / obstacles.

1. The lead for each setting would need to know everything there was to know about a setting. Purely by virtue of having my fingers in a lot of pies, I know most of what is going on with the DC side of things. However, in the Mutant setting I know next to nothing about the Redencion House side of things; and conversely, I'd wager that Holly or Andrew's knowledge of the Treadstone / X-Force / Avengers / Britain side of things is similarly limited, by virtue of the fact that they're not actively involved in them yet.

Not only would we need to make sure that our lead knew what was going on, we'd have to make sure that was constantly the case. Would it be the lead's responsibility to pester people to find out what was going on? Would it be the responsibility of the writers to keep the lead in the loop?

2. Having one person in charge of keeping the information in stickied threads up to date makes sense, but I'm not sure if that is the best way to go about it. Each setting seems to have a different level of documentation: Star Wars has a lot of (not necessarily up to date) threads and wiki pages; Mutants has a little splash on the wiki but not much in the way of threads; DC has a few useful threads dotted about, but not much on the wiki; and so on.

First off, it might be worth coming up with a group consensus on how we want to do things. The wiki seemed like a good idea at the time, but it seems like people have given up on keeping it updated. If this the case, we might be better off doing away with the wiki entirely to present there being any misleading / out of date information lying around... and then I think we need to decide on a (small) standard selection of stickied threads and what they contain, so we don't end up with one forum more cluttered than others, etc.

Alternatively, if we do want to continue using the wiki, it might be worth revisiting what we intend to use it for, so that we can do a big overhaul and make it a useful resource, keep it up to date, etc.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 4th, 2013, 03:21:28 PM
You don't have to know everything, but knowing who to point people to "if you want to do such and such, you should PM this person"

Asking someone to know everything isn't what I'm talking about. Having someone available for new people so they can be acquainted with a scenario and answer questions is.

Getting rid of the wiki seems like throwing the baby out with the bathwater. I think it works fine as is, asking people to keep it updated is what we always do, and interest comes and goes. Working on the wiki when we don't even RP consistently seems like trying to prune a single tree when we're worried about the health of an entire forest.

Captain Untouchable
Mar 4th, 2013, 03:40:29 PM
Isn't worrying about giving new people someone to PM equally redundant if we don't even RP consistently?

Even when we were RPing consistently, people weren't keeping the wiki up to date. With new settings, people don't want to have wiki pages. It seems like the wiki is not something that people want: so either we need to arrange for specific people to adopt the baby, or we need to seriously consider having it aborted.

Edit:

Also, if the person doesn't need to know everything, then can't new people just PM the existing Moderators?

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 4th, 2013, 03:53:02 PM
edit -

Sorry if you caught that before I edited it, it was sort of knee-jerk reaction

I don't want the wiki deleted, I have put a ton of work into it personally, have compiled extensive lists of RPs for most of my oldest characters, and to have that all just be deleted would be horrifying.

If the moderators are available for this thing and want this to be in their job description then that's a great idea. I still think that it should be listed somewhere on the off chance that new people do show up and need a place to start even if it's just for the person they contact to say "here's the FAQ, here's the wiki, here's the leader of the faction you're interested in"

edit: if you want to continue talking about the wiki maybe a separate thread?

Dragon
Mar 4th, 2013, 04:08:38 PM
Somewhere someone mentioned putting up TV Guide-type short blurbs explaining the concept for each of the Gen RP settings. We could include a contact link with that, even if it's just listing the group mods. I'm not exactly sure where those blurbs would appear - if they're just on the main forum directory, then the mods are already listed there.

We'd also preferably want to word it as a service rather than a mandate - here's where you go if you'd like help, not TO ENTER HERE YOU MUST PASS THREE CHALLENGES!

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 4th, 2013, 04:12:29 PM
We'd also preferably want to word it as a service rather than a mandate - here's where you go if you'd like help, not TO ENTER HERE YOU MUST PASS THREE CHALLENGES!
Yes, I agree.

edit: any more opinions?

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 5th, 2013, 04:37:30 PM
I think it's a great idea to have people who are like 'greeters' for each scenario. I don't see it as necessary for them to be total encyclopedias on that scenario, they just need to have enough knowledge to be able to introduce someone to the setting, get them started on their first character / thread perhaps.

Also RE the wiki, I don't think I'd want to get rid of it. I think some scenarios just benefit from it more than others and some people enjoy using it more than others. As long as we're clear on the fact that the wiki isn't the be all and end all of what's happening on the board, I think we should be fine.

Droo
Mar 6th, 2013, 06:03:36 AM
I also think that as long as the guide is regularly available and has enough knowledge to either point newbies in the right direction or get them on their feet, then that should suffice. Perhaps we ought to create guides, not only for each setting but for each of its factions, the first example of which that springs to mind is the excellent work that was done on the Wheel guide (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19616). Something like that for the Brotherhood, or Redencion House, or the vampires, or Gotham's villains, should serve to help all in setting up new characters.

As for the wiki, when I have the time or inspiration for it, I love it, and even when I don't, I love browsing it to see what other people have done. Just because there have been few updates in recent memory, a by-product of their being precious little roleplaying activity of late, I'm sure, is no reason to consider dismissing it.

Captain Untouchable
Mar 6th, 2013, 07:47:29 AM
I know talking more about the wiki is deviating from the topic a little, but since this discussion seems to focus on guides/intros for factions and such - which to me seems like the sort of thing that the wiki is supposed to be for - it still sort of seems relevant in my mind.

As for the wiki, when I have the time or inspiration for it, I love it, and even when I don't, I love browsing it to see what other people have done. Just because there have been few updates in recent memory, a by-product of their being precious little roleplaying activity of late, I'm sure, is no reason to consider dismissing it.

My earlier response was a bit of a tl;dr situation.

My basic gripe with the wiki is that there's stuff that is three or four years out of date. There's important stuff that hasn't been updated on character and faction pages; factions like the Rebel Alliance have dozens of separate pages (27, in fact) in varying degrees of up-to-dateness; and people have expressed a desire in other settings (DC, the end of the world boat one, etc) to see the amount of pages / information / etc that we include on the wiki minimised quite considerably.

Since people have expressed a strong desire to keep the wiki, is there a way that we - either collectively, me personally, or as a specific responsibility for these setting leads - can make the wiki better? I will happily use my over-abundance of free time to streamline / prune / reformat the wiki for all settings into something that is actually a useful tool. I'm happy to put the effort in, so long as it's something that people actually want / find useful / will use.

Edit:

On a slightly more helpful/constructive front, I see that Holly is keeping tabs on the active threads in the Mutants stuff. Is this something that people would find useful in other settings as well? Would it be helpful if it had more / less information? Would it be helpful if it was broken down by faction?

Similarly, the DC stuff has a pretty comprehensive list of characters, and who plays who. Is that something that people find useful? Would it be helpful if it had more / less information? Is this something that you would like to see carried across to other settings in the same / similar / a different form?

Which would people find more useful: several threads of OOC information (who plays who, what threads, faction introductions), or one stickied thread per setting that contains all of it? Would it make more sense for some / all of this information to be stored on the Wiki? Where should the split be?

Droo
Mar 6th, 2013, 11:28:53 AM
One thread per setting should suffice, with a post dedicated to each relevant bit of informatoon (eg. who's who or faction intros) and the first post could serve as a table of conents with shortcutd to the relevant posts, if indeed the thread is that extensive.

Back to the wiki talk, the thing is it has never been a compulsory part of the community in any way, which is why I think it is now important to pursue the idea of these intro/guide threads because, as you rightly say, the wiki is woefully out of date. As such, it will also be important to place emphasis on these guides for newcomers, and make it abundantly clear that the wiki is what it is. However, it couldn't hurt to setup a team of wiki enthusiasts who.can dedicate time and.coordinate between them to keep certain contemt up to date. in otger words, not character profiles without express permission from its author.

Vince
Mar 6th, 2013, 05:07:28 PM
All this talk leads me to believe we're thinking of making a SW-Fans Core Rulebook/Sourcebook, for Star Wars Internet Play By Post RPG.:p

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 6th, 2013, 05:21:30 PM
There's important stuff that hasn't been updated on character and faction pages; factions like the Rebel Alliance have dozens of separate pages (27, in fact) in varying degrees of up-to-dateness; and people have expressed a desire in other settings (DC, the end of the world boat one, etc) to see the amount of pages / information / etc that we include on the wiki minimised quite considerably.

I'm all in favour of centralisation information, and this is the reason why. I don't know how the Rebellion ended up with so many pages :whaa but I can't think that all of it is relevant. I am realistically never going to read that much information, personally.

I think in the interest of helping new people into the board, we don't want to overload them with information, so if we can have greets or scenario leads who are willing to maintain a topic on the basics of a scenario, as well as perhaps a little run-down of what's new... that would be best, at least in my mind.

General John Heller
Mar 6th, 2013, 06:40:16 PM
The dangers with relying on a thread on the forums to cure all our ills is that a) we're not all that great at keeping those up to date either, and b) conveying all the information that we need to convey would make for a very long post.

It might be better to rejiggle the wiki as well at the same time, so that the two work in tandem. Using the Alliance as an example, we presumably need a thread that briefly explains to everyone what the various branches of the Alliance are, and what we're doing with them. However, anything more than a paragraph or so for each is going to be ridiculously long. If we rework the wiki to work in tandem with these new threads, we can have those brief paragraphs and then a "Would You Like To Know More?" link that jumps to a wiki page with a little extra information. Something like -

The Wheel
Constantly on the run from the Empire, the Jedi have sought refuge in The Wheel: a rag-tag convoy of freighters and transports, defended by the Rebel Alliance. The Wheel's military forces are commanded by Commodore Vansen Tyree, and the elite Rogue Squadron number among it's defenders. The Jedi are trying to rebuild some semblance of their destroyed Order; a Jedi Council oversees the affairs and training of the Jedi refugees, and has begun to slowly offer advice and support to the Alliance. Despite the location of The Wheel being top secret, the convoy is threatened by the fall of Master Loklorien s'Ilancy to the Dark Side, and by the alleged presence of a Dark Lord of the Sith within the Alliance's ranks. (More) (http://There isn't an actual page, dummy!)

With similar stuff for SpecForce, Alliance Intelligence, the Navy, the Novgorod, the Government, and the other stuff that is actively important to roleplaying.

That's the sort of thing I mean by making the wiki a "useful tool": instead of trying to compete with Wookieepedia by having pages for each planet and all that jazz, we should consolidate down so we've only got pages of information that is actually relevant to people who want to roleplay... like the sourcebook thing that Vince joked about.

(Edit: Posted as Michael Ironside. Disagreement is not permitted. :mischief)

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 6th, 2013, 06:41:51 PM
If we just worry about someone possibly not keeping up to date on things in the future, we will end up not doing anything at all.

General John Heller
Mar 6th, 2013, 06:53:21 PM
Or we could put our noggins together and come up with a way to minimise the chances of that becoming a problem. ;)

I'd rather put a little extra thought and effort into doing a decent job than just doing a half-assed job because it's the first / easiest thing we came up with. The "Yeah, this could be a problem in the long run. Oh well," approach seems like a bad use of our time, when a better solution might be out there lurking in the shadows just waiting for us to stumble across it.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 6th, 2013, 07:00:03 PM
So are we thinking yes or no in regards to letting existing members volunteer to be written down as available for new people to PM/IM regarding dispensing RPing information?

Droo
Mar 6th, 2013, 07:02:33 PM
I say... yus!

Edit: And I'd be happy to put my name down to assist with Mutants or WoD newbies, although I'll grant you I'm not the best choice for either of those - but the offer's on the table because I'm so darn nice!

Dragon
Mar 6th, 2013, 08:47:18 PM
I say yes as well. No reason we can't take a both-and approach here. I'm willing to be put down as a contact for MU. I'll just have to remember to check this account regularly for PMs. However, I think it's a good idea to have two or three people as contacts for each setting, if we have enough volunteers. That way we not only have a larger knowledge base ("If you're interested in Avengers, you probably want to talk to JadenLuka!"), newbies have options if somebody's out of town or out of sync with timezones.

I like Jace's model for brief explanatory paragraphs per setting/faction. It highlights the focus of our narrative, and it should be relatively easy to keep them reliably up-to-date. It would also be very simple to add AIM/screenname contacts at the end.

Captain Untouchable
Mar 6th, 2013, 09:45:44 PM
I think Andrew is on to something there with the multiple volunteers idea.

If we just had one contact for Mutants (or a list of several) for the entire setting, there's a chance that you'll contact the person and they'll point you at someone else. Sure, there's no big deal, but it's not necessarily a step that needs to happen. If we have a volunteer or volunteers for each "bit" (for the House contact Andrew or Holly; for Treadstone contact Dee or Jace; etc), it'll help new people (and old people alike) get straight to the person they need to be talking to, with no muss or fuss.

That makes it more of a shared, team effort kind of thing; more eyes to make sure that posts and pages are up to date; all that jazz. We're a pretty friendly and collaborative bunch, so if our approach to bringing new people into the fold echoes the way we do pretty much everything else, that's an added bonus.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 6th, 2013, 10:24:14 PM
Well my point was that you could contact someone and they could point you to who you needed to talk to. So I'm not sure you're saying something different? If its just a list of people involved in a scenario... Obviously we all would be willing to talk to new people and help them get started.

I was thinking more of a greeter, someone who knows things and who is willing to have conversations going over how we do things and where you can get started. That is, in my mind, simpler for a newcomer than having to pick off a list when you might not be sure what you want to do in the first place?

But really, anything we end up doing will be fine, whether it's a huge informational post with lots of people to contact or not. Obviously if you want to be on a list to be contacted with questions you will need to be upfront about any LOA's you might be taking so others can step up in the meantime.

Captain Untouchable
Mar 6th, 2013, 10:46:11 PM
I was thinking more of a greeter, someone who knows things and who is willing to have conversations going over how we do things and where you can get started. That is, in my mind, simpler for a newcomer than having to pick off a list when you might not be sure what you want to do in the first place?

I don't understand why the greeters need to be setting-specific.

If the support they're providing is that general, why does it matter if they're an X-Men greeter or a DC greeter? Surely we just need people to greet people to the boards in general.. if you need specific information about a particular setting/faction, that's when you get pointed at the "information people".

Seems like they are two separate roles here.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 7th, 2013, 12:11:54 AM
This feels like its getting more complicated than it needs to be.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 7th, 2013, 01:16:53 AM
This feels like its getting more complicated than it needs to be.

I agree, I'm not sure what happened, lol.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 7th, 2013, 03:59:37 AM
It terms of greeters, I think agreeing on that some people would like to introduce newbies to the forum, get them on their feet, etc is probably is complex as it needs to be? The wiki and such is a separate thing I think.

Droo
Mar 7th, 2013, 05:11:06 AM
Nevertheless, we have raised an issue which is relevant: the threads for new people, like the Wheel example I posted earlier. They would be invaluable tools for both new people and folks trying to assist new roleplayers in their integration. Sometimes you need a chunk of informative text to fall back on, and what we're proposing is having that information available all in the one place for the convenience of all. Granted, it's not bang on the subject of these greeters, but it's still closely related to the larger issue of how to help new people onto their feet, and that doesn't have to be over-complicated at all.

Captain Untouchable
Mar 7th, 2013, 06:41:23 AM
Nevertheless, we have raised an issue which is relevant: the threads for new people, like the Wheel example I posted earlier. They would be invaluable tools for both new people and folks trying to assist new roleplayers in their integration. Sometimes you need a chunk of informative text to fall back on, and what we're proposing is having that information available all in the one place for the convenience of all. Granted, it's not bang on the subject of these greeters, but it's still closely related to the larger issue of how to help new people onto their feet, and that doesn't have to be over-complicated at all.

This.

Greeters to greet people. Threads with brief summaries and suggested IM contacts. Wiki pages for bonus information. Nice and simple: not complicated at all.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 7th, 2013, 10:46:08 AM
If the summary is brief enough it can even be a blurb at the top of a forum that shows up if an unregistered user is looking at the board. I'm not sure how complicated it would be to assign different text chunks to separate forums but I'm guessing "not too hard."

Regardless, can we start a separate thread for summary thread content creation and use this one for volunteers to volunteer?

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 7th, 2013, 01:48:00 PM

This.

Greeters to greet people. Threads with brief summaries and suggested IM contacts. Wiki pages for bonus information. Nice and simple: not complicated at all.

Alrighty then. Make it so, volunteers.

Captain Untouchable
Mar 7th, 2013, 02:07:14 PM
Regardless, can we start a separate thread for summary thread content creation and use this one for volunteers to volunteer?

I presume Droo and Andrew are still up for this? I am. :)

Do we want as many volunteers as possible, or do we want a small group so there's only a short list of names?

Do we want to have a stickied "Welcome to SW-Fans!" thread that lists PM and IM details for all the greeters - something that new members can read, and then contact who they want, if they want - or are the greeters going to take the initiative and hop in to all of the "Hi, I'm new" threads to provide that information?

Do we want to do anything to make greeters' accounts more visually different from other accounts (to make it easier to spot who to PM)? A custom title? Something in the signature? A little prefects badge to edit into the corner of your avatar?

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 7th, 2013, 02:10:37 PM
We could have a message that appears to unregistered people viewing the board? I don't know that such a thing would replace a stickied thread though, and probably a stickied thread in each OOC forum (gen and SW) would be sufficient (instead of or in conjunction with a message for unregistered members)?

edit: this is what our logged out board tells us currently:

Welcome to the SW-Fans.Net Forums. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/faq.php) by clicking the link above. You may have to register (http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/register.php) before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

So it wouldn't be hard to just add a little, even if it's just a link to the thread in each OOC forum where the PM info is.

Captain Untouchable
Mar 7th, 2013, 02:22:27 PM
We could have a message that appears to unregistered people viewing the board?
That message disappears as soon as you register and log in, though. Would we not need/want a message that new members would see after they're logged in? You can't PM people as an unregistered user. :uhoh

If we're expecting / hoping for a large influx of new members, is it worth having a newbie forum? A lot of other boards have somewhere for new people to introduce themselves. If we had one of those, we could not only put the "Getting Started" thread there... we could perhaps have a brief "Hi, I'm (name); I've been a member for this long and my post a lot in Settings X and Y" post from each of our greeters stickied as well?

That might make the prospect of PMing a greeter for help a little less daunting... makes them a person instead of just an account. or something. ^_^;

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 7th, 2013, 02:23:46 PM
Hmm a newbie forum is a good idea. :)

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 7th, 2013, 02:43:57 PM
A newbie forum could be interesting. It might also eliminate the need to have threads summaries (which are only editable by the thread starter and therefore perhaps liable to go out of date), as greeters would presumably be posting to welcome each person and point them towards the forums they might like, wiki pages they might find useful, etc.

Captain Untouchable
Mar 7th, 2013, 03:00:24 PM
I think I missed something here. What were we doing with thread summaries?

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 7th, 2013, 03:01:33 PM
Summaries of settings, IM contacts for greeters/volunteers.

Captain Untouchable
Mar 7th, 2013, 03:16:24 PM
OH. You mean threads that are summaries, not summaries of threads. For some reason, I thought you were talking about a way to have a thread description (in the same way that there are forum descriptions). >_<

I still think that we should have at least some of that stuff in a thread. Greeters shouldn't be the only source for that kind of information: some new members might not like the idea of having a greeter holding their hand and might want to fend for themselves, and some of that information might be useful to players on an ongoing basis as well. I don't know very much about Redención House, and I know zero about World of Darkness: if I ever wanted to get involved with either of those, I might find it useful to have that info to hand.

I'm in the process of starting a separate discussion about that.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 7th, 2013, 03:22:59 PM
I was going to suggest that the greeters post some useful info into the newbies "Hello!" thread and then point them to more in depth stuff on the wiki (...that way anyone can edit/update the relevant info and we don't end up duplicating too much stuff between threads and the wiki)

Captain Untouchable
Mar 7th, 2013, 03:31:19 PM
Certainly, some stuff can be in Hello threads... and a lot of stuff probably should be on the wiki, like I suggested earlier.

However, it might help to have some stuff right there in front of your face when you're browsing the forums. If I was browsing the forums as a new person, clicked into General to find a bajillion different settings and thought "What the balls is this?", having to tab over to the wiki and rummage for that information might not be the most convenient / accessible / user friendly thing in the world. A stickied thread that says "DC! This is briefly what the DEO is... click here to know more!" might be handy.

Like Holly has been asking though... that's a discussion for another thread. Specifically, this one:

http://www.sw-fans.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=410

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 7th, 2013, 03:46:45 PM

Ok, so if you want to volunteer to greet, or PM, or post in a newbie forum when we get da n00bs, then post here and I'll add you to this very comprehensive list. Maybe three people for each non-SW rp type and try to get one from each faction for the SW? I think that actually turns into four (Jedi, Rebel, Imp, Darkside).

Please volunteer your main account that you use the most, that way you will be sure to be checking your PMs.

WoD

Lilaena De'Ville
Droo
Dasquian
Mutants
Dragon
Droo
Lilaena De'VilleStar Wars
Ilias Nytrau
open
open
open

Captain Untouchable
Mar 7th, 2013, 03:52:56 PM
I still don't understand why these greeters need to be tied to a specific setting.

If you're greeting people that have only just posted in a newbie forum, how do you know if they're interested in your particular setting or not? Can we not just all be greeters for the whole forums?

I don't understand the reasoning here. :huh

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 7th, 2013, 03:59:30 PM
In addition to greeting people, I would guess that they would be taking responsibility for ensuring that people who did post in a particular setting knew what they were doing. E.g. for someone who posted in the Gen RP forum expressing an interest in Mutants, the Mutants greeters would hop in to offer help.

Captain Untouchable
Mar 7th, 2013, 04:58:04 PM
I think splitting ourselves up by setting is an unnecessary level of complication.

Greeters basically have three tasks:

1. Welcome new members to the board.
2. Help new members get settled in.
3. Point new members at the right person if they can't answer a setting-specific question.

We can all do that, for all settings. I know that Droo knows very little about the DC setting (and I hope he doesn't mind me using him as an example) ... but he can certainly help a new player find their way around the boards, explain what is going on with image claims, point them at the wiki, and so forth. If the new member starts asking specific questions about DC, I'm sure that Droo knows that he can direct the new member to me if he doesn't have the answers.

We've all got gaps in our knowledge somewhere, but we also all know who to point the member at in order to compensate for that.

If you start splitting us up by setting, you run the risk of making it more complicated for the new people. Maybe a new person starts their thread, Holly chimes in to explain and gives the ol' welcome post, and the person thinks: "Holly seems nice... oh, but she's not the greeter for DC, and that's what I want to write. Damn, now I have to PM that sarcastic Captain Untouchable guy, because he's the only greeter listed for that setting."

We as greeters need to know what our respective strengths and weaknesses are, but we don't need to bother new people with that. As long as we as a group have all of our bases covered, there's no need to overthink it.

Edit:

Sorry, I don't mean to be stubborn / argumentative about this... it's just that working out processes like this used to be part of my job at Coca-Cola. I've had similar conversations and discussions about similar stuff already, so I have a lot of the points and counter-points already in my brain. :uhoh

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 7th, 2013, 05:02:17 PM
Ok, so then RP scenario greeters are NOT what we want?

edit: It isn't that we have to list people by what scenario they represent in our potential newbie forum, but I think it is a good idea that our group of 'greeters' is well versed in different areas of the RP world as a whole. So I am actually pretty familiar with this whole damn ball of wax except for maybe the Imperial side of things. All in all the list doesn't matter I just am trying to compile who is actually vounteering.

Dasquian Belargic
Mar 7th, 2013, 05:08:16 PM
Whatever the majority wants to do, I'm cool with that. I was just under the impression that we were going to have people who were like the go-to people for specific scenarios, who also just happened to be greeters as well.

Dragon
Mar 7th, 2013, 05:31:14 PM
I think you can honestly look at it either way. As I understand it, the plan is to have one thread with single-paragraph setting descriptions for Gen RP and single-paragraph faction descriptions for SW (along the lines of the synopsis of The Wheel that Jace posted earlier). It would be simple enough to add a line at the end of each of those that says, "If you have questions about Mutants Unite, send a PM to ______" It's intuitive, easy, and a little friendlier than having a list of 6+ names with no context and leaving it up to the reader to decide where to start. A new user who wants to play an Imperial may find it reassuring that there's a place to go for that.

If we do want to go with more of a general help desk approach, I think we should have maybe four people for Gen RP and the same number for SW, just to keep the numbers down. In that case, I'd volunteer for Gen RP, but I don't think I'm up to speed enough on the SW factions to be terribly effective there.

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 7th, 2013, 06:03:47 PM
I think you can honestly look at it either way. As I understand it, the plan is to have one thread with single-paragraph setting descriptions for Gen RP and single-paragraph faction descriptions for SW (along the lines of the synopsis of The Wheel that Jace posted earlier). It would be simple enough to add a line at the end of each of those that says, "If you have questions about Mutants Unite, send a PM to ______" It's intuitive, easy, and a little friendlier than having a list of 6+ names with no context and leaving it up to the reader to decide where to start. A new user who wants to play an Imperial may find it reassuring that there's a place to go for that.

If we do want to go with more of a general help desk approach, I think we should have maybe four people for Gen RP and the same number for SW, just to keep the numbers down. In that case, I'd volunteer for Gen RP, but I don't think I'm up to speed enough on the SW factions to be terribly effective there.

This was what I was thinking was the consensus. Apparently I was wrong, or a consensus doesn't mean what I think it means.

Edit: still accepting volunteers if anyone else is interested. The newbie forum is active right now. :)

Ilias Nytrau
Mar 9th, 2013, 11:24:51 AM
I will do this thing! :D

Lilaena De'Ville
Mar 10th, 2013, 11:48:53 AM
Do you want to be a wealth of info about a certain subject or scenario? I'm going to put you down for SW.

Kelly Perris
Mar 10th, 2013, 02:02:39 PM
Yeah, put me down for SW. Either with Ilias or Kelly or both. I check them both with equal frequency. :)

Ilias Nytrau
Mar 10th, 2013, 08:21:18 PM
Yeah, put me down for SW. Either with Ilias or Kelly or both. I check them both with equal frequency. :)

Okay, as we discussed, I've offered up Ilias for this. Final decision.