PDA

View Full Version : A Secret Arsenal

Oliver Queen
Feb 21st, 2013, 11:38:04 PM
"I'm not kidding you, Mia: ice hockey is the best sport in the world."

Oliver's voice was adamant, his profound point emphasised by the decisive waving of his half-eaten hot dog. The crowd of jubilant home fans had begun to thin: while most people had taken to the bars to celebrate the Gotham Blades' latest decisive victory, Oliver had bunkered down in the Wayne Enterprises corporate box - which Bruce almost never used, for reasons that Oliver couldn't, or possibly just refused to fathom - before dropping by the locker room to congratulate the Blades' newest star forward in person. The covert satisfaction of seeing how uncomfortable Mia became in the men's locker room was an added bonus.

"I know a lot of people who'd disagree with you there, Mr Queen," his personal assistant countered, looking decidedly uncomfortable in the team jersey Oliver had insisted she wear. "I'm from a pretty devout football household."

"Football?" Oliver's grunt was equal parts amused and dismissive. "American Football is the NASCAR version of rugby. They took a game that required skill and stamina, stripped out most of the rules and complexity, and replaced it with wanton smashing." He held up a hand to stop any potential efforts by Mia to defend her sport of choice. "And don't get me started on baseball. It's just a glorified version of Rounders, and that was played exclusively by girls when I was at boarding school."

"Well, what about archery?" Mia tried, leading them across the plaza towards where they'd parked the Lamborghini that Oliver had borrowed from Bruce Wayne for the day. "With all the antics that Robin Hood vigilante has been getting up to lately, I hear it's getting quite the surge in popularity."

Oliver was glad that Mia was in front of him; that meant she didn't see the brief nervous twitch of his eyes. He grabbed hold of a healthy voice-full of sarcasm. "If you watched the archery at the Olympics, you'd know that archery is a sport dominated by Asians and fat guys. Not that there's anything wrong with either," he added quickly, "But lets just say that it's no surprise that you don't see many of either playing hockey."

"Yes," Mia shot back, matching his tone perfectly. "One can only assume that they're too smart and civilised for something so brutal and violent."

"Just for that," he countered, speeding up enough to swoop past and snag the keys that Mia had just retrieved from her purse, "I'm not letting you drive."

"You probably weren't going to let me drive anyway," Mia dismissed with a shrug.

Ollie flashed a triumphant smile. "I guess we'll never know."