PDA

View Full Version : The Robin Conundrum

Dasquian Belargic
Feb 16th, 2013, 10:31:48 AM
Apologies if this has been spelled out somewhere else, but could someone (lookin at you here Jace) confirm the order in which our Robins were recruited?

I know we have Ollie, Carrie and Tim. Has Tim ever been a Robin or :whaa

Dick and Jason are up in the air since their writers are gone (theoretically they could be written by someone else now, I guess?)

Captain Untouchable
Feb 16th, 2013, 03:10:02 PM
As I understand it -
Oliver Queen was the first Robin. He returned "from the dead" a few years after Bruce did (a little bit after TDK), and became involved in Bruce's crime fighting using a bow and arrow. The tabloids began referring to the dynamic duo as "Batman & Robin Hood", and the name stuck, with Ollie eventually adopting the Robin Hood motif as part of his costume. After an unspecified chunk of time however, Bruce and Ollie started having some friction about Bruce's "war" on criminals, and they parted ways. Ollie changed up his costume and adopted the name Green Arrow, which was the name used in ye olden days by his sort-of-girlfriend Dinah's father.
Jason Todd may or may not have been the second Robin. If he was, it would have been for a brief stint after Ollie went solo.
Carrie Kelly eventually became the next proper Robin. Her costume was much more like a traditional Robin outfit; in order to distinguish her from her male and greener predecessor, the tabloids started referring to her as the "Red Robin".
I believe the plan with Dick Grayson was that Bruce Wayne never adopted him, so he wound up in the foster care system and ultimately found his way to Checkmate. If someone else takes over the character though, that may well get tweaked.

As for Tim Drake, I think Andrew is going a completely different direction with him: he's the son of a police officer, and followed in his father's footsteps to some extent before also getting involved with Checkmate.